DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Urban / Suburban range for Air 3

wxperson

Reactions
I live in a mixed urban / suburban area.

Has anyone done range tests in this type of environment?

All of the tests I have seen so far with the Air 3 are in unpopulated / flat areas.

Thanks... George

I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have launched from inside a grove of huge Cottonwood trees with a small patch of sky to fly through, followed a river for 4,900 ft at an altitude of 175 - 350 ft while surrounded by the 80 to 100 ft trees before the fear of criminal behavior kicked in and I reversed course.

Is a good question with the new 5.2 band WIFI there should be a lot less interference in these areas. Doubt I'll ever get to the max distance, but do expect stronger connection so that I would never have any issues within my my visual range.

Is a good question with the new 5.2 band WIFI there should be a lot less interference in these areas. Doubt I'll ever get to the max distance, but do expect stronger connection so that I would never have any issues within my my visual range.
The 5.1 band is unfortunately not operational in the U.S., based on all posts I have read.

Reactions: solidhouse
The 5.1 band is unfortunately not operational in the U.S., based on all posts I have read.
That's why I get for watching DC Rainmaker from the Netherlands. 😋

So you mean from the specs, that middle section is not available in US? That is a bummer.

2.4000-2.4835 GHz
5.170-5.250 GHz
5.725-5.850 GHz

I’ve done a range test with the Air 3 and then flew my Mavic 3 the same route and altitude in order to compare range. This is in a suburban area with lots of tall trees.

The Air 3 made it 2.4 km and the Mavic 3 made it 2.1 km.

I think where you would really notice the difference with the Air 3 is in wide open areas.

That's why I get for watching DC Rainmaker from the Netherlands. 😋

So you mean from the specs, that middle section is not available in US? That is a bummer.

2.4000-2.4835 GHz
5.170-5.250 GHz
5.725-5.850 GHz
That is my understanding, from those in the U.S., who have checked in the Fly app for the Air 3 under the transmission bands being used. It's blatantly missing! Rumor has it that the 5.1 Ghz band is intended for the EU, to improve range where the power of 2.4 and 5.8 are crippled by local regulations. Hence the prior demand for FCC hacks for those in the EU.

Reactions: Xitor
I am not getting the range on the Air 3 that I am on the Air 2s. Same location etc.

Air 3 has the DJI RC-N2 controller and the Air 2s has the DJI RC-N1
That's certainly an "apples to apples" comparison in RC style where the only difference should be 0S4 vs. OS3+ system, where OS4 claims a 20% improvement in range over OS3+, yet your results are the opposite. Weird. I'd be frustrated!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman