DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

US anti-DJI and -Autel drone blacklist poised to become law, clearing the way for nation-wide user bans already in the works

mavic3usa

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is beyond stupid.

There has been ZERO proof of any cybersecurity issues with any brand of Chinese drones. This is 100% politics with a sprinkle of conjecture thrown in.

You can put much of the blame on this directly in the laps of both Skydio and Brinc. They can't compete with Autel or DJI, so they use their (government funded) grants to buy votes in Congress.

Honestly, this is alarmist. There is no way they are going to have a total purchase and user ban. DJI is the top selling drone brand in the world. The drone industry, including small companies, like I run, will lose their minds. Also, preventing certain brands of drones from using publicly available radio spectrum is completely unenforceable. It’s even likely unconstitutional.

Honestly, this is alarmist. There is no way they are going to have a total purchase and user ban. DJI is the top selling drone brand in the world. The drone industry, including small companies, like I run, will lose their minds. Also, preventing certain brands of drones from using publicly available radio spectrum is completely unenforceable. It’s even likely unconstitutional.
I agree this would be ultimately unconstitutional for the government to ground DJI and Autel drones for consumer use in the US airspace. However, I would not put it past anyone in Congress to suggest this is necessary and legal and doable and so I posted to article to alert or inform anyone who wasn't aware that such activity *might* be taking place to remain aware and vigilant. I think we are all know about the federal ban and not much else beyond that so has been concerning so far but....we can go from there. :(

Reactions: halifax and SWTSU
I agree with Vic, this is beyond ridiculous!

If there where an Amercian-made drone that competes with DJI or Autel, I would love to try them in my business. However, the truth is, there are NONE. Those that come close in quality far exceed any budget I have for new equipment.

If there where an Amercian-made drone that competes with DJI or Autel, I would love to try them in my business. However, the truth is, there are NONE. Those that come close in quality far exceed any budget I have for new equipment.
This is a consumer choice that I too am guilty of making. Of course quality drones the same as DJI can be produced here by an American company BUT there is NO way to sell that drone at any price to compete with China. In material transportation costs alone they have us beat!

But they are not worried about what info their cell phone is sending back to China!!
I might be wrong on this, actually I probably am, but aren’t some US military guidance chips MADE in China ??

DJI was working on an agreement with the U.S. Government to build Drones for them. They had the land in California ready to build the location But almost overnight.... nothing.
So why all of a sudden they are a security risk? Is the Government saying they didn't due their research into a foreign company producing products for us and now they have flooded our country with a network of spy robots?
If all of a sudden they are screaming spy where was this knowledge BEFORE you started the whole building drones for the Government business? Its all very curious. and the U.S. Government has yet to explain to me how downloading the exact coordinates to my nieces wedding hall or any other event I video will cause harm to national security!

DJI was working on an agreement with the U.S. Government to build Drones for them. They had the land in California ready to build the location But almost overnight.... nothing.
So why all of a sudden they are a security risk? Is the Government saying they didn't due their research into a foreign company producing products for us and now they have flooded our country with a network of spy robots?
If all of a sudden they are screaming spy where was this knowledge BEFORE you started the whole building drones for the Government business? Its all very curious. and the U.S. Government has yet to explain to me how downloading the exact coordinates to my nieces wedding hall will cause harm to national security!
This illustrates the purely political nature of the entire thing. Legislators (& US drone companies) saw this as a way to use protectionist ideology to push DJI and Autel out of the drone market in the U.S.

Can't compete? Buy a Congress Critter or two. Problem solved, right?

The government Gave these Chinese Companies the consessions that helped make them so popular, and now with No way for U.S. companies to compete with DJI, the Government wants to scream EVIL spy company!! when in reality its all about importation fees and fair trade- nothing more.

The government Gave these Chinese Companies the consessions that helped make them so popular, and now with No way for U.S. companies to compete with DJI, the Government wants to scream EVIL spy company!! when in reality its all about importation fees and fair trade- nothing more.
What concessions were given to DJI and other Chinese companies by the US government?

Did those legislators stop to think where their cell phones and computers were built?!
Stupid is as stupid does.
... or fax machines...

... or modems...

Hence the cyber security needs.

Am I reading it correct that this only affects federal agencies from purchasing. And does not impact recreational? Does it affect commercial use that is not federal related?

Reactions: AZDave
Am I reading it correct that this only affects federal agencies from purchasing. And does not impact recreational? Does it affect commercial use that is not federal related?

We should say "would affect if passed" rather than "affects." It's merely a proposal at this point.

Non-governmental commercial operations would not be affected.

Reactions: AZDave and mswlogo
This thread is pure alarmist tripe. The proposed law applies only to federal agencies and is no different than government concerns about sensitive entities buying Chinese (or Iranian or North Korean or Russian) internet routers, servers, laptops, etc. The same people who are all riled up about this would be at least as hysterical if it turned out the government bought a bunch of building security systems from China. Government agencies don't buy drones for recreational purposes .. they buy them for uses that generally need to have restricted access. I personally lean toward the premise that DJI drones are unlikely to have spyware on them, but I also don't think anyone has proven that they don't have a back door. It's not like China doesn't have a massive cyber and software intelligence organization.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas