DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

USB chargers for Air 2

Oswald

Reactions
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Is there a charger for the air 2 batteries that can take power from a USB port? Either type-A or type-C would be fine, though a detachable cable that could be switched would be ideal.

I've seen the car chargers and the like, but my car has 4 USB charging ports and I have lots of very big portable battery banks that would be great to use in a pinch.

Does this exist?

The new Mini 2 was designed from the ground up to charge this way. Any USB brick can charge it, and the charging hub with batteries can even be used as a USB brick itself! Mini 2, instead, for the win!

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Theres an older thread here where someone was creating a 3rd party charging cable that could charge the MA2 batteries via USB-C.

Theres an older thread here where someone was creating a 3rd party charging cable that could charge the MA2 batteries via USB-C.
The last I saw on that thread was in July I think and he was waiting on parts. Nothing more since that I know of, which is a shame because I'd buy a working copy of it in a heartbeat. I'm stuck using a omnicharge ultimate out in the field.
Update, I found that other thread and he recently( Nov 4th i think) posted that its still a project he is working on and trying to incorporate QC and PD in to it. Ill update here if I see anything else more positive

Last edited:
The last I saw on that thread was in July I think and he was waiting on parts. Nothing more since that I know of, which is a shame because I'd buy a working copy of it in a heartbeat. I'm stuck using a omnicharge ultimate out in the field.
Update, I found that other thread and he recently( Nov 4th i think) posted that its still a project he is working on and trying to incorporate QC and PD in to it. Ill update here if I see anything else more positive
no word eh?
Would be great to plug batteries into a power bank so we don't have to leave the vehicle on while flying!~

There was a little bit of chatter at the end of November but nothing of any real substance. He seems to be trying to get things right, universal and all that but doing it in his spare time.

Reactions: G Randy Brown
I posted on the other thread about this and got a response. Since I dont know to do a direct quote post, orr whatever you want to call it, I'll just cut and paste what he had to say:
The project is currently stalled due to multiple factors:

- been too busy with my primary job so i had to pull back on projects
- waiting for answers from lawyers for this project (more down below)
- thinking about in which direction i want to move

The current status:

- USB-PD works flawlessly. You can use probably any charger you want. Tested it with multiple chargers with 5, 9, 12 and up to 20 Volts. The maximum output is 35 Watts, defined via my firmware which limits the maximum current. So even that is adjustable, all via software

- USB-QC works well, but has not been tested as much. I only have chargers with 9 and 12 Volts at hand. Up to 20 Volts should be possible. I have my own custom chip with software which negotiates the voltage in 200 mV steps. The whole circuit can cope with any voltage applied to it and puts out stable 13.2 Volts for the mavic air 2.

- i added another chip ("esp" if you are interested) which controls voltage, current and temperature and activates a very small fan if anything gets too hot. Also this chip has bluetooth support, so in the future everything can be controlled via a simple android or iOS app on the smartphone (the app is not built yet, but that is rather easy).

The whole adapter is within a small 3d-printed case and has 2 USB-C inputs, one for USB-PD and the other one for USB-QC. I have not yet succeeded in combining both technologies reliably on one single USB-Port, so that's why there are two of them. If, for example, you attach a USB-PD charger on the USB-QC port, nothing bad will happen, the voltage will be limited to 5 Volts and Amps will be pretty low.

Then there is another Micro-USB Port, this one is only used for upgrading the firmware. Might not need that one, but i wanted the system to be upgradeable.

On the other side is a standard round jack, so almost anything can be connected.
I.E. i use that to attach the connector for my acer-notebook an can charge that (with 19 Volts) via my prototype-adapter. Just FYI: this is my 14th build of this adapter, as i modified it alot ... ;-)

Now on to the problems:

As i am doing a DC-DC conversion here, there are some rules. Most probably the adapter needs a CE (Europe) and FCC (USA) certification.

The CE-Certification is a little bit harder as the FCC counterpart, so by getting CE certified, the FCC will most probably be also given.

The certification process is very expensive - we are talking somewhere between 5.000 and 10.000 Euros (6.000 - 12.000 USD).
So currently i cannot simply do that - the customer base is too small. Also there is a high possibility, that my design will be copied by another company (not making a political statement here) and producing everything in china without certification and selling that via alibaba or banggood worldwide.

I only see two possible roads:

- going for a kickstarter/indiegogo to get enough backers and the money for the certification.
- going full opensource and releasing everything to the public, so that everyone can use the current DIY-Methods to create the adapter

With the first option i might get some buck for my invested time (hundreds of hours) while with the second one i will be doing something good for the community and might get some donations.

I am still not sure which way to go ... need more time to think about it.

And here is the link to the other thread for those who are interested.

Reactions: Howard70
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom