DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Use MA2 as a handheld Gimbal?

SledgeTitan

Reactions
Hey everyone!

Has anyone tried something similar to the Katana for the MA2?

I want to use the drone as a normal camera with a gimbal, but I can't find something. Maybe the Katana for the Mavic 2 with a bit of modding would work, since the M2 is a bit bigger than our MA2?

EDIT: Well, I just found this

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Tufargon
I have seen it done before, but an OSMO mobile and a decent iphone will be worlds better, ergonomically and feature wise. There is OSMO pocket too, but the sound is crap and the view is ultra wide, which may not be what you want.

Reactions: SledgeTitan
This would be a no-budget project.
If I was to buy something more expensive I would save up for a mirrorless + gimbal;)

Hey everyone!

Has anyone tried something similar to the Katana for the MA2?

I want to use the drone as a normal camera with a gimbal, but I can't find something. Maybe the Katana for the Mavic 2 with a bit of modding would work, since the M2 is a bit bigger than our MA2?

EDIT: Well, I just found this
I made a thread on a tripod mount for the MA2 a week or two ago and I ended up buying the same one. Waiting on it in the mail.

Tried this earlier with a MP, but lugging the kit around was messy and bulky, so I got an Osmo Pocket

I made a thread on a tripod mount for the MA2 a week or two ago and I ended up buying the same one. Waiting on it in the mail.

I just read your thread! When you get it, let me know how it is!
Did you try using the drone without flying to check battery time and heat?

I haven't flown it yet since I'm waiting on my usb cord. According to other posters in my thread it has an internal fan which will keep it cool. My XSP had no issues sitting there for a couple hours recording so I don't see any problems that way. I hope it's a half decent quality mount.

Got it today. It works as expected. Thumbswayup
A bit of a pita getting it on but it's what I wanted. Can even put the RC on top.
Others said in the other thread that it should have no problems heatwise since it has a built in fan and I'm guessing you should get at least 3 hours on a battery since the motors won't be running.

A bit of a pita getting it on but it's what I wanted. Can even put the RC on top.
Others said in the other thread that it should have no problems heatwise since it has a built in fan and I'm guessing you should get at least 3 hours on a battery since the motors won't be running.

How are you getting sound on the video, does the fan noise affect it ?
I'd hate to have the internal fan going for 3 hrs, I'm pretty sure it's only designed to be on for a short time.
There would be quite a lot of heat generated if you keep it on for a long time, you should look into one of these

How are you getting sound on the video, does the fan noise affect it ?
I'd hate to have the internal fan going for 3 hrs, I'm pretty sure it's only designed to be on for a short time.
There would be quite a lot of heat generated if you keep it on for a long time, you should look into one of these

No sound. Since the mount does have a place for the RC I could just record audio on the tablet. My main purpose was to do timelapse if the right situation was came up. Or even a long video of a lake (or whatever) with calm music to put on tv.
I'm not convinced that the heat will be a problem nor the fan running long periods. People go out and fly 4 and 5 batteries at a time. Those fans are basically the same as a laptop fan and run forever. I've seen the inside and it has a good heat sync in it and looks like they apply thermal paste in all the right spots.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
How does an Osmo Pocket compare to the new Osmo gimbal and a decent iPhone?
Not sure how it pertains to the subject but I have a GoPro Hero 5 Black paired with the Feiyutech G6 gimbal for that kind of stuff.

Nice! I'll probably order mine today or tomorrow.
Still waiting for my replacement though..

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929