DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Used Mavic Pro gimbal problem.

FlyingFilmmaker

Reactions
Site
flyingfilmmakerpro.com
I just got a used Mavic Pro (original) and it seems like there is a weird issue with the gimbal. When I start to fly forward the gimbal tilts (almost jerks) downward a tiny amount then slowly tilts upward for a few seconds. When I stop flying forward, the gimbal jerks back up a bit. The opposite happens when flying backward. So far I have tried resetting all settings to factory with DJI Assistant, and a gimbal calibration. Drone is latest firmware.

Here is a short clip that illustrates what I'm talking about. At #1 I start flying forward, at #2 I stop, at #3 I start flying backwards, and at #4 I stop again. Sstarted with the gimbal level (not pointed up).

My questions are: #1 is this something normal (I don't think it is!) or is it a malfunction. #2 anyone have any ideas if this can be fixed and how to fix it? I can send the drone back, but I got a really good deal on a bundle with googles and batteries, so I'd really like to be able to get this worked out.

Thanks everyone!

welcome to the forum, was the gimbal clamp fitted when you received the drone and have you checked that the gimbal plate is fitted correctly under the anti drop hook and the front two support brackets another thing it could be is some fine dust in the gimbal motors you could try some canned air or an air puffer to blow in the gaps where the gimbal swivels,but what ever you do dont use anything like a solvent or oil as you could do damage to the electrics and also be careful of the gimbal cables as they are easely damaged

Reactions: FlyingFilmmaker
welcome to the forum, was the gimbal clamp fitted when you received the drone and have you checked that the gimbal plate is fitted correctly under the anti drop hook and the front two support brackets another thing it could be is some fine dust in the gimbal motors you could try some canned air or an air puffer to blow in the gaps where the gimbal swivels,but what ever you do dont use anything like a solvent or oil as you could do damage to the electrics and also be careful of the gimbal cables as they are easely damaged
Yes, the mavic came with the gimbal clamp installed. I'll have to check the the gimbal plate, and maybe I'll try blowing out the motors.

So just an update, I did an IMU cal, and that fixed the up/down drift, but the "bump" at the beginning and end is still there.

Reactions: old man mavic
So just an update, I did an IMU cal, and that fixed the up/down drift, but the "bump" at the beginning and end is still there.
check in the app to see what the settings are for gimbal smoothness you can change how quick it stops after you have moved it and when you Yaw

check in the app to see what the settings are for gimbal smoothness you can change how quick it stops after you have moved it and when you Yaw
Hmm, I reset the gimbal settings in the app, but maybe I should take a look at them again.

As I was inspecting the gimbal, I noticed that the ribbon cable sticks quite a ways back as shown in the photo, and when I tilt the gimbal to a certain position with the drone a certain way, it touches the back of the gimbal "compartment". Is it supposed to stick that far back or is that not normal? Seems like that could cause the "bump".IMG_3723.jpg

just looked at mine and its the same,that allows for movement

Checked the gimbal platform, and it's fine. Blew out the motors, but it started raining so I can't test if that fixed the "bump". Will update when I get a chance to test it!

Last edited:
I gave it another go after blowing out the tilt gimbal motor, but the bump is still there. Seems like the bump is only there (or at least it's there a LOT more) when you start/stop abruptly. Is this just normal for the Mavics, or is there something wrong with the gimbal?

that bump you are referring to is not a gimbal fault when the drone ia going fast and you suddenly let go of the stick it goe from forwards pitch and then brakes hard and for a moment it pitches the other way as it stops

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan