DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using iPad instead of iPhone question

Gbower

Reactions
I've been recently trying my iPad with both my Mini 2 and Air 2 and I seem to be having range problems with the iPad connected. Has anyone had this issue or will it be something else. I was getting disconnected at around 1300 ft where I've previously gone at least twice the distance with no problem using the iPhone. I'm going to try again with the iPhone tomorrow and may try the iPad again. Thanks for any information.

your ipad/iphone doesnt connect to ther drone - range is taken from your controller - you have a different issue - The ONLY thing that might be an issue is if you are max'ing out the Ipad CPU (mini 4 for instance maxes out early but ive never noticed it causing any issue with my air 2 or mini 2

I just went out and flew the same area using the iPhone and the same result although I got out to 1800' this time before it dropped connection. I've flown this same area before with no problems so must be something in the air. LOL

Just telling you your phone doesn't connect to the drone as such.. The controller sends signals ... I've used Android phones, iPhones and iPads .. They all behave the same ...

Do you have a case on your iPad that prevents the cable staying tight?

Cable is more likely your issue... Tight on 1 and not the other maybe ..

Just telling you your phone doesn't connect to the drone as such.. The controller sends signals ... I've used Android phones, iPhones and iPads .. They all behave the same ...

Do you have a case on your iPad that prevents the cable staying tight?

Cable is more likely your issue... Tight on 1 and not the other maybe ..
The cables are definitely tight and no case on the iPad. I had a different controller for each drone and both have behaved the same. Different cables for iPhone and iPad. I wouldn't be concerned if this had happened if I hadn't flown this area before but I've flown further out a number of times with full control with both Mini 2 and Air 2. Trying a different area to fly tomorrow and will try both iPad and iPhone again there.

I noticed the same issue when I went from iPhone to 11" iPad. The only thing the I came up with was that the iPad was tall enough to go over the antenna. When I put the iPad off and set 2 feet to the side with a longer cable, the issue stopped.

I can fly with my iPhone 7 or iPad mini 5 , doesn't seem any different.

I've been recently trying my iPad with both my Mini 2 and Air 2 and I seem to be having range problems with the iPad connected. Has anyone had this issue or will it be something else. I was getting disconnected at around 1300 ft where I've previously gone at least twice the distance with no problem using the iPhone. I'm going to try again with the iPhone tomorrow and may try the iPad again. Thanks for any information.
What type of tablet mount are you using for the iPad. As stated, the iPad should not be a “player” in the range of the drone! The RC has the antennas, transmitter and receiver not the iPad. I would look at the relationship of the RC’s antenna with the iPad installed... Also, just a thought, do you have the iPad in “Airplane” mode to ensure there is no interference from the iPad?

What type of tablet mount are you using for the iPad. As stated, the iPad should not be a “player” in the range of the drone! The RC has the antennas, transmitter and receiver not the iPad. I would look at the relationship of the RC’s antenna with the iPad installed... Also, just a thought, do you have the iPad in “Airplane” mode to ensure there is no interference from the iPad?
I'm using a PGYTech mount and sure that's not the issue. I have a feeling that there was just some interference of some kind. I flew today with the iPad and got out over a golf course and went over a mile out and just had some small drop of bars. I'm not going to be worrying about it too much more as I usually don't get a long way out.

It is not the interference but how you hold it.

Pay attention to the antenna. Is it being pointed at the drone?

It is not the interference but how you hold it.

Pay attention to the antenna. Is it being pointed at the drone?
It must be the way I'm holding my mouth open I guess as I tried every orientation of the controller. Some homes in between I think is the issue. Today as I tried to get down low with trees between me and the Air 2 the signal weakened and if I started to loose a bar or two and climbed higher they came back. I'm always trying to be aimed towards the drone with the controller.

I use the Apple 9.5 inch iPad exclusively for 3 years. Never a problem with transmission, or disconnections.

Tis very interesting, I recently changed from iphone 6s to ipad air with cable extension my first ipad flight although the screen was great the control of the drone response was slow, gimbal was like dead then reacted 10s later, therefore landed just incase. When shutting down noticed the antenna was not extended and further realised the ipad was covering the antenna in some cases, shall go back to iphone 2morrow and confirm whether it is because of the blanketing of the ipad over the antenna & for some reason my antenna are sliding back into the controller during flying seem loose ??

Reactions: Droniac
Tis very interesting, I recently changed from iphone 6s to ipad air with cable extension my first ipad flight although the screen was great the control of the drone response was slow, gimbal was like dead then reacted 10s later, therefore landed just incase. When shutting down noticed the antenna was not extended and further realised the ipad was covering the antenna in some cases, shall go back to iphone 2morrow and confirm whether it is because of the blanketing of the ipad over the antenna & for some reason my antenna are sliding back into the controller during flying seem loose ??
I have posted these images before. Here is my set up. No problems like you are having, with a nice big screen to view my flight.iPad in Skyreat Holder-rear view.jpgiPad in Skyreat Holder.jpgiPad on Skyreat Stand.jpgiPad-SkyreatHolder-sideView.jpgSkyreat-holder-side viewe.jpg

Are your antennas fully extended? Are you facing the drone during the flight? The antennas on your controller should be as close as possible to perpendicular to the earth for best range (presuming that the drone antenna orientation is also oriented perpendicular to the earth). It appears to me, that if are looking at your IPad that the antennas may be more horizontal than perpendicular. Additionally, the signal may be blocked somewhat by the size of the IPad. This video explains the orientation issue.

Are your antennas fully extended? Are you facing the drone during the flight? The antennas on your controller should be as close as possible to perpendicular to the earth for best range (presuming that the drone antenna orientation is also oriented perpendicular to the earth). It appears to me, that if are looking at your IPad that the antennas may be more horizontal than perpendicular. Additionally, the signal may be blocked somewhat by the size of the IPad. This video explains the orientation issue.
Awesome simple for me to comprehend video. It was both truly informative and appreciated. Ty!

Thanks for the video kshaw. My antenna orientation isn't the problem as I make sure that they are perpendicular to the drone even using the iPad. I think it was just that the signal was blocked by houses in the way or a big building. I flew this morning with totally absolutely nothing in my line and I was out over 5000' before losing signal and only lost a bar over 4500'. It was just interesting losing signal at 1300' when I had flown that area before. I might have been lower this time. A real learning process and some good responses here. Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO