DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Using the Air 2s with an Air 2 controller?

robwas

Reactions
These 2 drones seemingly use a very similar controller however it appears I cannot pair my Air 2s with my old Air 2 controller using the pairing procedure. It works fine with the provided controller, I did notice the LED lights are green like they were with the mini 2 but that controller worked with both the air 2 and mini 2. Can someone confirm if or if not the MA2s will work with the original MA2 controller? TIA.

I was messaging with DJI support earlier today. Yes the Mavic Air 2 remote controller “will” work with the Air 2S but will not have the same range of the Air 2S controller. The MA2 controller will provide the same range as the MA2 which is slightly less than the new Air 2S. The same falls true for the smart controller, a slightly reduced range compared to
the Air 2S controller.

I was messaging with DJI support earlier today. Yes the Mavic Air 2 remote controller “will” work with the Air 2S but will not have the same range of the Air 2S controller. The MA2 controller will provide the same range as the MA2 which is slightly less than the new Air 2S. The same falls true for the smart controller, a slightly reduced range compared to
the Air 2S controller.
Thanks for the info, that is interesting. I wonder if the MA2s controller will work with the MA2 now, I'm assuming it will. Anyways, this gives me a good reason to use the new controller that came with the MA2s over my old one. I'm going to see if I can pair my old drone with the new controller, the whole idea was to be able to carry both drones but one controller. I could see using the MA2 in situations where there's some possibility of risk to the drone or where I'm not taking photos but just flying around to explore.

Thanks for the info, that is interesting. I wonder if the MA2s controller will work with the MA2 now, I'm assuming it will. Anyways, this gives me a good reason to use the new controller that came with the MA2s over my old one. I'm going to see if I can pair my old drone with the new controller, the whole idea was to be able to carry both drones but one controller. I could see using the MA2 in situations where there's some possibility of risk to the drone or where I'm not taking photos but just flying around to explore.
That’s a good question! That’s the one thing I forgot to ask. I’m assuming it should but I’ll try and reach at to DJI to confirm. It would be nice to use the MA2s controller for the added range for the MA2s and also have it on hand to use with my MA2 or the MM2, obviously it’ll only offer the 2.0 standard range but it would be nice to operate three drones with one remote✔️

Reactions: robwas
You need to also download a controller firmware update in order to allow the MA2 controller to be used with the A2s.

RC has to be connected to the aircraft to do this.

I just updated my Android phone to Fly App 1.4 and I thought that was it. There was an additional prompt to download and update to DJI-RC2 (forgot the other numbers) in order to allow the controller to work with the A2s.

I am flying an MA2 and I see no need to do any of these updates. However, it is these prompts to update and red dots in the settings that irritate me so what the heck ?

Reactions: crash3x
You need to also download a controller firmware update in order to allow the MA2 controller to be used with the A2s.

I just updated my Android phone to Fly App 1.4 and I thought that was it. There was an additional prompt to download and update to DJI-RC2 (forgot the other numbers) in order to allow the controller to work with the A2s.

I am flying an MA2 and I see no need to do any of these updates. However, it is these prompts to update and red dots in the settings that irritate me so what the heck ?
Yes, it didn't prompt or alert me there was new firmware but I'm sure that's the case. I was able to use my old MA2 with the new controller but it too actually needed a firmware update to allow this to happen. Thanks for the input, I see reviewers saying the remotes are identical, nobody has mentioned that you lose O3 with the older controller... so it's really not identical.

I got my old MA2 to work with the new controller so you can definitely fly 3 drones with the new controller.

On dji website in spec for air 2s is say that
  • Remote Controller Transmission System​

• OcuSync 2.0

This is promising. I like have 2 AC just in case, and I already have the SC. I may sell my MM to a friend who's been bugging me about it and get the A2S to replace it as it will fit in my hard case and I will then have 2 RCs and my MA2 batteries will operate both. It seems like a great opportunity for some redundancy when owning two drones.

I got my old MA2 to work with the new controller so you can definitely fly 3 drones with the new
This is promising. I like have 2 AC just in case, and I already have the SC. I may sell my MM to a friend who's been bugging me about it and get the A2S to replace it as it will fit in my hard case and I will then have 2 RCs and my MA2 batteries will operate both. It seems like a great opportunity for some redundancy when owning two drones.
I was thinking to just buy the basic A2’s setup and use all my MA2 fly more stuff with it, I confirmed with DJI everything is cross compatible & I’ll save some $ and still have the MA2 in my collection.

I orginally had a FMC Air2 and recently bought a Air 2s drone only. When I first tried to connect the Air2 controller with the new Air 2s, the GoFly app asked me to update the RC firmware. Then after that, i was able to use both ACs with one controller. FYI, the current RC firmware is 1.5.4 as of Dec 2021.

People,
All the 4 controllers RC1 from DJI Mini 2, Mavic Air 2, Mavic Air 2S and Mavic 3 are exactly the same. Same part number.
What you need to learn is what OccuSync is. This is a marketing thing. Is the same transmission with different transmission power. Who decide what power will provide the controller is the firmware. Each aircraft utilize a different firmware, that's why every time you bind a different aircraft the DJI fly app ask you to update the RC1 firmware. The firmware will change the transmission power.

Check this video that explain the story of OccuSync in detail and you will understand the reality behind.

People,
All the 4 controllers RC1 from DJI Mini 2, Mavic Air 2, Mavic Air 2S and Mavic 3 are exactly the same. Same part number.
What you need to learn is what OccuSync is. This is a marketing thing. Is the same transmission with different transmission power. Who decide what power will provide the controller is the firmware. Each aircraft utilize a different firmware, that's why every time you bind a different aircraft the DJI fly app ask you to update the RC1 firmware. The firmware will change the transmission power.

Check this video that explain the story of OccuSync in detail and you will understand the reality behind.
Thank you zeusfl for clear explanation. Is it possible to use RC Pro with both Air 2s and Air 2. documentation says only abut 2S...

People,

Thank you zeusfl for clear explanation. Is it possible to use RC Pro with both Air 2s and Air 2. documentation says only abut 2S...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54