DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uum any N. Americans think there is something wrong with this?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date

Sea?
Nobody from Chicago calls Lake Michigan a sea. It's a freshwater lake, though a big one that can produce significant waves.

But I just looked up the definitions of sea in Webster's Dictionary. Sense 1 is a great body of salt water, but sense 2 is the surface motion on a large body of water, or the disturbance of the ocean or other body of water due to the wind. That video might depict sense 2 of Webster's definition.

Its kind of like calling an Internal Combustion Engine a Motor. Had a good buddy of mine talking about a motor swap, super intelligent guy, contract worker starts telling me how stupid he is that motors are electric and hydraulic! I looked at him and said, "Although you are correct, the use of motor has been around so long in reference to internal combustion that is considered a correct nomenclature." He starts ranting and raving about it. I interrupted him......... "Dude, why dont you think about things before you try and put people down with your supposed superior intellect. You should first start at DMV, you know the Department of Motor Vehicles, or General Motors, Ford Motor Company, Motor Cycles....... You Understand?"
His mouth kind of hit the floor.

Journalism is not what it used to be fore sure. I would not call it "Seas" for sure. If I was on a boat and telling someone how rough it is, I would not say "Rough Lakes" and instead say "Rough Seas".

For the title something like "Lake Michigan pounds frozen Chicago Shoreline"

That is also where the Navy Boot Camp is at.

Interesting, that said I was raised with motors being electrical etc. and engines being IC lol.
On the other foot I am fairly sure I seen the log messages refer to "engine start" .
Oh well lol

Interesting, that said I was raised with motors being electrical etc. and engines being IC lol.
I agree that it's proper to use motor for electric and hydraulic, and engine for IC, but it's not just Internal Combustion. An old locomotive has a steam engine, not a steam motor, and those use external combustion.

Liquid fueled rockets use rocket engines, but solid fueled rockets are often called motors (SRMs). Why? Don't ask me.

But as has been pointed out, the common terminology varies somewhat, and that's ok. I'm not about to tell Detroit to rename herself "engine city". Motown records just wouldn't be the same as "Entown".

But........would the inhabitants of Entown then be known as "Ents"? Which would be rather neat, but images of Treebeard booging crack me up. lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661