DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Vacation: USA to Argentina-Couldn’t Unlock Auth on DJI RC Because no Wifi.

crash3x

Reactions
Just traveled/returned from vacation from USA to Argentina, Mini 3 pro with DJI RC. No phone with hotspot, no available WiFi in the area I was trying to fly.

In certain areas I was trying to fly & use the DJI RC I got the pop up auth asking to except responsibility bla bla bla in the area I wanted to fly BUT I could not agree & except because of no WiFi connection.

Last year I was in Peru and got the same pop up a few times with my Mini 2s using the RC N1 and my cell, I had cell service, got the same pop up asking to agree & Auth to fly and was able to get Auth to fly as I had a cell connection to complete the process.

Lesson learned, bring the RC N1 when one is in more remote area’s as long as you get cell service or have a reliable hotspot/Wifi for the DJI RC or Smart Controller. This ruined a few great pic/vid opportunities for me!

In the past I would normally travel with my RC N1 instead of my smart controller as to avoid issues; dropping it/theft etc. I was excited to use the Mini 3 Pro & DJI RC BUT totally my fault for not thinking a head of the pop up Auth’s that require some sort of a connection to complete. Very frustrating!

Anyone else run into this issue yet while traveling with the DJI RC ??

I don't understand. If you can use the RC N1 with hotspot you should be able to do so with the Mini 3 RC. You can create a hotspot with your phone and connect the Mini 3 RC to that hotspot, can't you? Of course if your phone is entirely out of range and can't connect then you would be dead in the water for either controller if you are in an authorization zone.

Reactions: crash3x
I don't understand. If you can use the RC N1 with hotspot you should be able to do so with the Mini 3 RC. You can create a hotspot with your phone and connect the Mini 3 RC to that hotspot, can't you? Of course if your phone is entirely out of range and can't connect then you would be dead in the water for either controller if you are in an authorization zone
My past trip I was using my RC N1 w/iPhone and had cell service in the semi remote area’s I flew to complete my auth’s, no WiFi no Hotspot, was all through cell service.

This recent trip my cell had No service/No hotspot/No wifi, in some of the area’s I was trying to fly with my DJI RC.

As you so properly put it, I was dead in the water! I wish The DJI RC had a SIM option for the area’s where there is service. Lastly most of the SIMS I get while traveling abroad don’t offer hotspots off my cell so that doesn’t help! Just venting lol. Thanks for the input!

Could you get an authorization in advance and load it into the controller? That's what I did with my Smart Controller a couple of years ago when my old cellphone didn't have good data: got the authorizations ahead of time and loaded them in at home where I have wifi.

Reactions: crash3x
Could you get an authorization in advance and load it into the controller? That's what I did with my Smart Controller a couple of years ago when my old cellphone didn't have good data: got the authorizations ahead of time and loaded them in at home where I have wifi.
I did something similar a while back with the app aloft but that was here in the states. Like you mentioned maybe there’s a way I can do it beforehand internationally in the country/district I want to fly when I’m there and have service. Have to look into that, thanks for the idea.

It’s not just overseas that can be an issue. 5 miles from my home all cell phone connections are gone. Luckily in remote areas like that the flight areas are not restricted

Luckily in remote areas like that the flight areas are not restricted
When I was in Greenland I visited Ilimanaq, and discovered I couldn't fly near the town. No cell service to unlock. Apparently there's a helicopter landing pad used in the winter, so DJI has a no-fly zone there. I was there in the summer, when the pad isn't used. So I have shots taken near the town, but none over it.

Here's sunset over Ilimanaq:

Ilimanaq is pretty remote: about 40ish people, no roads.

Doesn't really help, but in the manual (anyone read it?) there is mention of a future external cellular puck for the dji rc, that connects in via the 2nd USB port, under the rubber flap. Not sure what the benefit of that is over just using your cell phone as a WiFi hot-spot for the RC

Doesn't really help, but in the manual (anyone read it?) there is mention of a future external cellular puck for the dji rc, that connects in via the 2nd USB port, under the rubber flap. Not sure what the benefit of that is over just using your cell phone as a WiFi hot-spot for the RC

If there is no cell service you'd be pucked (even if you had a puck). ;)

Reactions: JimSteadman
Oh, the stupid nanny NFZ. You could have taken your vacation pictures. That wouldn't happen with any other drone brand. Shame on you DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s