DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Variable ND Filters

bdooley

Reactions
I bought these two Freewell Variable ND Filters for my Mini 4 Pro.

Freewell Variable ND VND1-5 Stop, VND6-9 Stop 2 Pack Run&Gun Camera Lens Filters Compatible with Mini 4 Pro Amazon.com

I got them because I thought it would be nice to quickly change the setting without changing out the filter. The problem is that I don’t know how to determine when I have chosen the best setting. I get it that the brighter it is you want a higher ND value. But how do I determine which value is the sweet spot?

Also, should I remove the ND filter when doing pics and videos at night?

Anybody else out there with these filters and have any comments about them?

I have the same m4p filters and don’t care for them all that much because they add too much blue to my shots. The Polar Pro filters on my MA2 are more neutral by far and I wish I hadn’t rushed to get the Freewell.
Here in Texas the sun is so bright it seems like it continues to shine through the at night. But yes, you need to take them off when flying at night.
Here’s a good article you may enjoy.

Everything You Need to Know About Neutral Density Filters

I have the same m4p filters and don’t care for them all that much because they add too much blue to my shots. The Polar Pro filters on my MA2 are more neutral by far and I wish I hadn’t rushed to get the Freewell.
Here in Texas the sun is so bright it seems like it continues to shine through the at night. But yes, you need to take them off when flying at night.

Thanks for sharing the article! I am also flying in the TX sun. When trying to get a slow enough shutter speed for a timelapse of moving cars, even an ND1000 has not been enough for me. I have an ND2000 on my wish list.

For video, I sometimes I follow the 180 rule and use manual and then choose a filter that gives correct exposure. Other times I just use a ND64 or ND128 and set it to auto during mid day flights.

Yep, nd64 usually works for me. 32 in the golden hour which is when I prefer to shoot. You’re welcome for the article. Happy flying!

I get it that the brighter it is you want a higher ND value. But how do I determine which value is the sweet spot?
The Mini 4 has a fixed aperture, so adding an ND filter requires/allows you to use a higher ISO or longer shutter speed. Higher ISO is generally undesirable. Select the ND filter based on how much you want to slow the shutter.

You may want to look at polarizing filters if reflective glare is a problem. I have a set of ND-PL for my A2 that work wonders, can even see underwater once sky reflection reduced. Can actually see the fish I'm after.

Thanks for the comment and info!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne