DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Recording/Playback

dmf10e

Reactions
Yesterday I took video for the first time on my M2P (first time flying as well). The quality was horrible and a lot of noise but was smooth. I know some of that is to blame on cloudy skies and not enough light as I went out at sundown. I looked at some forums and youtube videos to see what settings i could try to set to make it look better. Yesterday I flew on Auto settings and today when I went out about an hour to sunset I was on manual settings setting ISO on 100, aperture around 4-5 and Shutter at 1/60 and at playback its very glitchy. So much different than yesterday and im not sure what settings changed to cause that. I will say yesterday I was at the max ISO (from a youtuber) but everything I read after said to set at lowest. The only other thing I changed was the file format from mov to mp4. Both videos were shot in Full HQ 4k 30 fps. I tried both D-LOG and Normal.

What could cause the video to become glitchy?

OK. ISO setting controls how sensitive to light the cameras sensor is. A higher number is more sensitive so more light is usable , but the trade off is the image will appear grainy after about 400 ISO. Best to keep the ISO setting as low as possible if the lighting conditions will allow.

When you say the video is glitchy do you mean the real time live video feed that one views on thier device while flying or the video that is placed upon the SD card that is placed within the Mavic 2? Or both?

Were you taking video in 30 fps? Did the picture on the device look properly exposed? No blown out areas and no blacked out shadows?

Additonally, if you intend to edit the video on a Mac you want to choose .mov as the format and if you are editing on a PC you want to choose .mp4 . So that clears that up for ya.
What device is being used to fly the Mavic 2?

OK. ISO setting controls how sensitive to light the cameras sensor is. A higher number is more sensitive so more light is usable , but the trade off is the image will appear grainy after about 400 ISO. Best to keep the ISO setting as low as possible if the lighting conditions will allow.

When you say the video is glitchy do you mean the real time live video feed that one views on thier device while flying or the video that is placed upon the SD card that is placed within the Mavic 2? Or both?

Were you taking video in 30 fps? Did the picture on the device look properly exposed? No blown out areas and no blacked out shadows?

Additonally, if you intend to edit the video on a Mac you want to choose .mov as the format and if you are editing on a PC you want to choose .mp4 . So that clears that up for ya.
What device is being used to fly the Mavic 2?
The video from the Micro SD card playing on my surface. Yesterday was smooth and today when the camera panned the video looked like it was skipping. In the video when the cars are driving by it looks like they are pausing and then skipping a little. I wish i can post the vids but they are too large.

Video was in 30fps looked properly exposed. Because I'm a novice at video editing and that sort of thing i added the zebra setting to show me when overexposed.

What's weird is after making a snippet of the video to show you a before and after and uploading to youtube, the issues were fixed? Very odd. And im officially stumped.

Surface Tablet underpowered? Other applications running in the background while viewing video utilizing too much in the way of resources?

Surface Tablet underpowered? Other applications running in the background while viewing video utilizing too much in the way of resources?
Nothing else bogging down. Viewed on the same tablet yesterday. Just 2 days difference and some settings. Could there be any other settings that could cause that issue? It looks like a video playing and you hit pause repeatedly. Start stop. idk.

What settings do you like to use? Headed on vacation tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it right when I try to get some good shots of Mt Ranier.

I fly the Mavic Pro so my settings would not necessarily benefit you as I have to use ND filters to compensate for having a fixed aperture.

If you recorded in D-log, I think that requires shooting in H.265, which is very computer intensive. Your Surface might not be able to keep up.

Try shooting in normal using H.264, and use the VLC media player for playback on your Surface. You can find VLC with a Google search. It’s free.

If you recorded in D-log, I think that requires shooting in H.265, which is very computer intensive. Your Surface might not be able to keep up.

Try shooting in normal using H.264, and use the VLC media player for playback on your Surface. You can find VLC with a Google search. It’s free.
Yeah but both days were viewed on the same hardware. The 1st day I shot in h.265 D-Log (no issues) and then 2nd day I did both h.265 D-log and h.265 Normal (both were sh!tty as far as smoothness) I’ll try the VNC player and reply back. Thanks for the feedback.

I sometimes get a little lag on my Surface Pro with H.265 playback, it can depend on how intensive the file is to play. I do use VLC too.

I never get any lag when viewing footage on my gaming PC with a decent dedicated graphics card.

I had a similar experience with video from my Mavic Air. I took the SD card out and copied the MOV files to my laptop. The result was a video that looked horrible and glitchy. I immediately thought I got a bad drone. But it's not the drone, it's the laptop. I can play the video on other machines and it's more like what I would expect.

Just my two cents worth. There are several posts about glitchy videos that point to the quality of the SD card as being the culprit. Something about the M2P needing a card that reads AND writes at 100bps.

But 100Mbs is about 12MBs. A U3 is way above that. Besides, that requirement is mainly for 4K. If you record lower than that you can get away with a 10 card.

M2 will warn you if your card is too slow.

Sounds like it was too much for the play back unit, so the video was always being caught up, so to speak. Best to try it on a good desktop or laptop and see if the video is smooth or still glitchy. The start stop start does sound like the viewing device was trying to catch up all the time, so was over worked trying to display the video in a smooth manner.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman