DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video resolution

CamoGreg

Reactions
Hello!

I have now a card reader and I take my pictures directly from the SD card in the drone to the iPad mini 4. What a difference !!

But my question is more related to the videos... actually I shot in 4K and as iPad is not able to read this format, I extract them through GO4 app (compression and lower resolution).

So is it better to shot in 1080 and have the video from the SD like I do for the pictures ? Or still in 4K ?

Thanks for your help !

It depends. I shoot in 1080 because of your reasons and the quality is satisfactory for my needs. The advantage of 4K is you are recording more information so you can do some heavy editing for a professional look. Because there is more information, you can crop video and maintain decent quality. The downside of 4K for me right now is my crappy computer and video card does not have the horsepower needed to do the 4K editing.

Ok but if you use 4K and then retrieve the video from GO4, will the quality still be better than 1080 and using a card reader ?

It is better to retrieve the video directly from the card. It will be 4K that can be downgraded to 1080 if needed. I believe the video stored on your display by Go 4 is a downgraded version of the original.

i'd be surprised if the copy on your phone has bitrate as high as recorded to SD, it will just be too much data to transfer continuously.
If you can't play or edit 4K try the 2.7K which arguably is almost as good as 4K most of the time.

You can also look at the supported formats on the iPad Mini 4's product page at Apple.com. From what I could see, 2.7k is not supported.

Found on the Apple Mini 4 spec page:

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 4K, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC‑LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio or Dolby Audio up to 1008 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo or multichannel audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M‑JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

iPad mini 4 - Specs

Looks like a go. Looks like you'll have to record with the .MOV codec not .MP4 though

Last edited:
Even if I record in .mov it doesn’t read.

But what about recording in 1080? Will the quality be better by using the card reader rather than GO4 export in 2.7 ?

Besides the iPad Mini do you have a Mac or PC? I upload the vids I want to keep in full resolution to iCloud Photos from my Mac and view them from there or save them from iCloud Photos back to the iPad to the Photos app on the iPad. You could also use Google Drive to get them to your iPad.

Besides the iPad Mini do you have a Mac or PC? I upload the vids I want to keep in full resolution to iCloud Photos from my Mac and view them from there or save them from iCloud Photos back to the iPad to the Photos app on the iPad. You could also use Google Drive to get them to your iPad.

Good idea for google drive ! But won’t be able to edit.

Ok I really need a Mac....

Even if I record in .mov it doesn’t read.

But what about recording in 1080? Will the quality be better by using the card reader rather than GO4 export in 2.7 ?

The video cached in the Go app will be 1080p or lower, depending on how far away the Mavic is (signal strength is a determine factor). It’s also prone to interference and dropouts.

You’re always going to get better quality off the card.

You need a PC or a newer, more powerful iPad if you want anything above 1080p. I can’t imagine having at least a laptop at my disposal these days.

You can pick up a decent Windows laptop pretty cheaply these days.

The video cached in the Go app will be 1080p or lower, depending on how far away the Mavic is (signal strength is a determine factor). It’s also prone to interference and dropouts.

You’re always going to get better quality off the card.

You need a PC or a newer, more powerful iPad if you want anything above 1080p. I can’t imagine having at least a laptop at my disposal these days.

You can pick up a decent Windows laptop pretty cheaply these days.

Many thanks Mr salty !

I will go for a MacBook Pro, I prefer Apple !

Yes I know.... but when I had my PC it was issue on issue.... and to be honest PC + Greg = [emoji43]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krautz