DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Video Subtitles Setting? Cache When Recording?

maintenanceguy

Reactions
I've owned my first drone, a MA2 for about a week. So far, a very cool experience. There are two settings that I don't know what they do. I downloaded the user's manual and it mentions both settings but doesn't explain either.

The first is Camera > Video > Video Subtitles. I can turn it on or off and it doesn't do anything that I can see. I've recorded video in both modes and don't see anything different. I certainly don't see any subtitles or a place to type in subtitles.

The second is Camera > Storage > Cache When Recording. I can turn it on and off and can choose 2Gb, 4Gb, 8Gb, or 16Gb, or Auto. What is being cached where?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Ryan

To see the captions you need to use either VLC media player or Droneviewer or something else (that I'm not familiar with).

Reactions: dawgpilot
Video Subtitles captures flight data in a separate file (.srt file) that, as vindibona1 stated, will need a different viewer to be able to see it. Here is a partial view from Droneviewer: 1603984947359.png

Reactions: RC_HC
Video caching stores a low resolution video, from the drone camera, on you device (iPad, phone, tablet). Setting the cache size determines how much of your device's memory that can be used to store this cache. I don't take photos so I'm not sure if it stores photos there also or not.

Video Subtitles captures flight data in a separate file (.srt file) that, as vindibona1 stated, will need a different viewer to be able to see it. Here is a partial view from Droneviewer: View attachment 116035
I may be wrong, but DJI did switch this some years ago. It used to create the video file and the separate *.srt back in Go 3 and first stages of Go 4, they then actually embed the subtitles within the video file. This may have changed, and could be confirmed if indeed it is writing those *.srt's again...as when they did the embed many people complained. Just bringing that up in case there isn't a separate file these days. Myself haven't used that function since Go 3. :) As said, I used VLC to turn them on or off and to view as it gave Long and Lat of the flight overlay on video.

That function is now standard on Litchi which I now use for that feature when needed. ;)

I may be wrong, but DJI did switch this some years ago. It used to create the video file and the separate *.srt back in Go 3 and first stages of Go 4, they then actually embed the subtitles within the video file. This may have changed, and could be confirmed if indeed it is writing those *.srt's again...as when they did the embed many people complained. Just bringing that up in case there isn't a separate file these days. Myself haven't used that function since Go 3. :) As said, I used VLC to turn them on or off and to view as it gave Long and Lat of the flight overlay on video.

That function is now standard on Litchi which I now use for that feature when needed. ;)
The Mavic Air 2 writes separate files. I have not tried it with my M2Z yet or my Mavic Air. I believe that the P3 Std which uses Go3 embeds it in the video file.

IMO turn off video cache function and do screen recordings every flight. Whether you actually capture video or pics with the drone doesn't matter. You can review your screen record and dump it if you want or use it to keep track of drone content just like a cached file only much more useful. The cached function just makes for confusion......at least to me.

Reactions: MA2 317
IMO turn off video cache function and do screen recordings every flight. Whether you actually capture video or pics with the drone doesn't matter. You can review your screen record and dump it if you want or use it to keep track of drone content just like a cached file only much more useful. The cached function just makes for confusion......at least to me.

Plus you have the telemetry on the screen captured for future reference.

There are times when a warning may pop up but we miss it and it's neat to study the "game film" after a flight to improve for the next one. :)

Reactions: KenB714
Thank you for the information. I downloaded the DroneViewer App and have been playing with it. Very cool stuff.

The answers lead me to another question. Is there a feature within the Fly App that lets you screen recordings or do you need to us a separate app?

Is there a feature within the Fly App that lets you screen recordings or do you need to us a separate app?

If you have an Android device, I think you have to download an app.

This one seems to be popular.

If you have an Apple device, there should be one built in. You might have to activate it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloⒶlerta