DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Videography Basics...

bdwt

Reactions
I am a photographer...not a videographer! Could someone refer me to some real basic but GOOD material on the basics of videography as it applies to drones. I know there's tons of stuff on YouTube but my brain hurts just trying to browse through all the material! Or if there's someone on here that would be willing to help me out with the basics ??

Thanks!

There are a lot of folks that can and are eager to help you on this forum but it would help if you can narrow it down a bit. Are you interested more in how to control the drone for good video footage or more about the camera settings and post processing?

There are a lot of folks that can and are eager to help you on this forum but it would help if you can narrow it down a bit. Are you interested more in how to control the drone for good video footage or more about the camera settings and post processing?

Ken...I am a complete newb when it comes to video...all of my experience is with photography.

What little I know...
24-30fps, shutter speed should be double that so 1/50-1/60 sec. 60fps is more artistic slow motion...
Shoot in manual modes for greater control...can read a histogram...That's about it. I need to really start at the beginning...the flying artistic part will come later....one step at a time. I normally jump in with both feet but this is a bit different...too many things to pay attention to and fly at the same time!!!

Hope this helps :))

Ken...I am a complete newb when it comes to video...all of my experience is with photography.

What little I know...
24-30fps, shutter speed should be double that so 1/50-1/60 sec. 60fps is more artistic slow motion...
Shoot in manual modes for greater control...can read a histogram...That's about it. I need to really start at the beginning...the flying artistic part will come later....one step at a time. I normally jump in with both feet but this is a bit different...too many things to pay attention to and fly at the same time!!!

Hope this helps :))
So it sounds like you want to learn more about settings. Unfortunately, I may not be the best person to help. I know just enough to be dangerous, there are a ton of folks that are experts that can be a big help. @CanadaDrone is one who hopefully will offer his two cents.

As you probably already know the still photography aspects still apply. It’s just dealing with the motion. There is a great thread regarding frame rates.

I’m sure others will add their knowledge as well.

I am a photographer...not a videographer! Could someone refer me to some real basic but GOOD material on the basics of videography as it applies to drones. I know there's tons of stuff on YouTube but my brain hurts just trying to browse through all the material! Or if there's someone on here that would be willing to help me out with the basics ??

Thanks!
I was in the same boat so here’s some of the things I’ve learned about the major differences between the two.

Time(Frame Rate and Playback Speed):
The way a video camera works is it will take a series of pictures which are then played back to create a “moving picture.” This is because the human brain can only process so much information and even though the pictures taken by the video camera have some missing information between pictures, if the pictures are played back quickly enough the brain still perceives this as continuous motion. It’s widely understood that it’s about 15 frames per second is the minimum playback speed at which the brain will perceive video as motion rather than individual photos.

Having said this the brain will still perceive this as choppy motion. You may have seen old silent films where it looks like everything is moving too quickly and doesn’t look like SMOOTH motion. This is particularly apparent in high motion sequences.
This is due to the fact that these films were shot at 15fps because video cameras at the time were not capable of much faster frame rates and film was extremely expensive. For our purposes, you see the value of having a higher frame rate and playback speed to capture and playback smoother motion.

As video cameras and projectors increased in capability a new Cinema standard play back rate was born and has remained at 24fps. This is where a common misconception comes in. The PLAYBACK speed of 24fps is an industry standard today but not shooting speed. Most studios will shoot at s higher frame rate then they intend to playback the final product(except scenes with dialogue.) Why’s that?

Well having a high number of frames allows more latitude in post. For instance, having a 30fps clip played back at 24 fps will give the impression of slower smoother motion. For instance, I did this example for another thread and I took a video over the Mormon temple in Salt lake. The following videos are the same exact video shot in 30FPS the only difference is the first video is set to playback at 30fps but the second video is set to 24fps. On a computer click play on both videos to watch them simultaneously to see the difference.
You’ll notice that the second video is smoother even though you don’t notice it being much slower then the first video. There are exactly the same number of fames the second video just plays back the frames slower. Now what I could have done from here is deleted some frames from the second video to speed it up in the places the video was already smooth and that would cause those areas to move faster but then keep the frames in the places the original video looked choppy there fore retaining the smoothness from the second video. As with photos capturing the most amount of information possible will enable more latitude in post.

So you can see how playback speed and frame rate can have a huge impact on the the “feel” of the video.

Shutter speed and it’s relationship to frame rate
As a photographer you will already understand shutter speed and how it affects motion blur in an image. Faster the shutter the less motion blur. In photography we are generally trying to get less motion blur and a sharper still image. However with video we are trying to get the correct amount of motion blur.

The human brain expects that a moving object will have a certain amount of motion blur, if it doesn’t then it looks and feels weird. Too much motion blur and it looks like a ghost and not enough will give the perception of slow motion. Because of this the relationship between and shutter speed and frame rate are of the utmost importance. There’s something called the 180 degree shutter rule.

This theory is that, to replicate the way our brains perceive motion, the shutter speed should be twice the frame rate. For instance if shooting in 30FPS then the shutter speed should be 60 shutters per second or 1/60.

Here is a video from PolarPro explaining this in more detail but this is the reason you must use ND filters with video because we need to have the right shutter speed without changing the other elements of our exposure triangle(ISO, Aperture, and shutter speed) Shutter Speed, Frame Rate and the 180° Rule

These are the “camera basics” with video. Video composition is largely the same but has the added element of transition that is very important and deserves its own post. Also post processing is seemingly a never ending learning cycle as techniques, work flows, and effects are constantly evolving and there’s no one way to do anything. If you want more information on any of those things let me know but I don’t want to give you information overload.

Last edited:
Another good resource I like to use is RED’s “panning speed calculator.”

This will calculate the optimal speed or time to pan the camera a given angle based on its resolution, focal length, and frame rate.

So for instance for my Mavic Pro I’ll choose the Monstro 4K 16:9 (HD) since this matches my resolution and aspect ratio and I’ll input 26mm since I know this is the focal length of the Mavic Pro

Mavic 2 Pro =28mm
Mavic 2 Zoom =24-48mm
Mavic Air=24mm

I’ll input 30 FPS and it tells me that in my Mavic Pro the optimal panning speed is 7.2 degrees per second. That’s a 12 second count to pan 90 degrees(they’ve rounded to full seconds) or 25 seconds to pan 180 degrees. That’s really really slow!! I think that’s why people tend to get choppy looking pans because the mavic does not like panning that slowly.

If I change my frame rate to 24 fps then it says to pan at 5.8 degrees per second or 16 seconds to pan 90 degrees! That’s too slow to be possible really with the Mavic so that’s why I use the higher frame rate in 4K.

If the Mavic 60 fps then it would be 14.5 d/s or 6 seconds to pan 90 degrees. Much more manageable.

Reactions: Judeman
I am still trying to figure out how to load the film in my Mavic Air. ?

I would do some searches in the forums using key words.

Frame rates, and shutter speeds and motion blur are all important things, but tend to get very technical and can get in the way of capturing good content. I think the average viewer is not going to critique or even notice to much if you shot in 24fps vs 30fps or any other technical aspect. If you are new to vidoeography, I think it's much more important to spend time learning what your passion is to film. What type of videos do you want to make and what type of themes are do you want to achieve? What type of views are you trying to capture, and what type of story are you trying to tell? Learning to fly smoothly, planning your shots and setting up for good composition are way more important starting out than learning shutter speeds and ND filters. If you don't have good composition, smooth movements and a good "story" to tell, your videos will not be appealing regardless of if it has motion blur or not. Drones are very technically advanced equipment and can do many many things, but I feel that people starting out get to caught up in all the technology and settings and forget about capturing quality content. Content is more important than technical aspects. Practice good content. Some auto settings can be surprisingly good to start out with. Once you have your inspiration and can think about quality content without much effort, then you can slowly start to integrate manual settings to improve on your content.

Reactions: mereflyer
I would recommand these lectures edited by Laurence Seberini :

All you have to know about photo and video with DJI drones is described in a very comprehensive manner.

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S