DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

VPS altitude in Fly app?

Prismatic

Reactions
Coming from the DJI Go4 app, I've found DJI Fly to be fine, just different. Every release seems a bit more mature.

However, I do dearly miss how DJI Go4 displays the drone's altitude above the ground whenever the aircraft is low enough for the bottom sensors to function. Fly only gives me altitude above takeoff point, which--as a habitually low-altitude pilot--is approximately useless information to me.

It's very time-consuming to descend slowly until--looking straight down--I can judge the details in the image to achieve a low-but-safe altitude (say, 2m/7ft over the surface). The VPS altitude as displayed in Go4 is so much faster and more positive. It gives me a ton of confidence in the drone's vertical position relative to the surface.

Say I want a descending, arcing, panning swoop down over some beaver ponds or wetlands that are 400 yards (meters) downstream from my takeoff point. I don't give a fig about the drone's altitude relative to my feet; I care about its altitude relative to the dense shrubbery it's flying close above! I may have VLOS, but against that busy backdrop the bird's vertical clearance is very hard to judge with the required accuracy. (PS here: my MA1 could do that shot; it shouldn't be harder with the MA2S, fer cryin' in a bucket!)

Clearly, whenever the Air 2S is low enough, it can calculate its altitude-above-ground exactly from its sensors. That's the information I want! Am I missing something in DJI Fly?

Reactions: Arthur.N
Coming from the DJI Go4 app, I've found DJI Fly to be fine, just different. Every release seems a bit more mature.

However, I do dearly miss how DJI Go4 displays the drone's altitude above the ground whenever the aircraft is low enough for the bottom sensors to function. Fly only gives me altitude above takeoff point, which--as a habitually low-altitude pilot--is approximately useless information to me.

It's very time-consuming to descend slowly until--looking straight down--I can judge the details in the image to achieve a low-but-safe altitude (say, 2m/7ft over the surface). The VPS altitude as displayed in Go4 is so much faster and more positive. It gives me a ton of confidence in the drone's vertical position relative to the surface.

Say I want a descending, arcing, panning swoop down over some beaver ponds or wetlands that are 400 yards (meters) downstream from my takeoff point. I don't give a fig about the drone's altitude relative to my feet; I care about its altitude relative to the dense shrubbery it's flying close above! I may have VLOS, but against that busy backdrop the bird's vertical clearance is very hard to judge with the required accuracy. (PS here: my MA1 could do that shot; it shouldn't be harder with the MA2S, fer cryin' in a bucket!)

Clearly, whenever the Air 2S is low enough, it can calculate its altitude-above-ground exactly from its sensors. That's the information I want! Am I missing something in DJI Fly?
I have not seen what you describe in Go4 in FlyApp. Yes, it would be nice to have a VPS in Fly, esp where I fly - as you state altitude from take-off means diddly squat to me when flying over waterfalls, trees, rhododendron / mtn laurel, and other obstacles I encounter in low flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird