DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wanted: Complete of plain-English rules

___

Reactions
Wanted: Complete (and concise) list of plain-English rules, laws, regulations, etc.

I would like to know what the rules are put them all in one place. I'm looking for privacy laws, FAA regulations, US State-by-state laws, must-follow procedures, etc.

Does such a document exist?

I know the basic bullet points but the FAA doesn't mention privacy laws. State laws are hard to come by. How can I know I am following all of the rules if I don't know what they all are first.

Thank you!

IN Canada read the CARS (Canadian Air Regulations) here

Canadian Aviation Regulations (SOR/96-433) - Transport Canada

Be prepared to do a lot of reading. It's all for airplanes, Gliders and Balloons, Airlines and Civil Aviation. But come spring 2017 a major section on UAVs is supposed to be added. Trouble is, reading the UAV section is only for UAV operators but it does not relieve you from needing to understand the rest of the regs . . as well as Weather, Radios, privacy and a lot more if you want to operate commercially . . like any other pilot. Be prepared for a steep learning curve if you are not already involved in aviation. UAVs/drones just occupy a different part of the air structure and we all have to get along so no one dies.

That would be an amazing resource. I think part of the problem is the rules & regulations are changing so fast it would be near impossible to keep it current.

In the US the FAR will cover most things but each state has its own laws. FL has a privacy law directed at drone use.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MavicPilots mobile app

Thanks for the updates! I'm now investigating the seemingly murky waters of privacy and the rules of flying over private property. The only definitive answer is that you can fly over private property as long as you stay above 500 feet. So unless you have an exception to fly that high your out of luck.

While researching I was scared of the comments on the many articles titles something like "So my neighbor got a drone" and "How do I keep my neighbor from flying his drone over my property", etc. As you can guess, most of the discussion is on the best type of ammunition to use in your shotgun. :-(

NOTE: This is Canadian "guidelines" so far . . .Rules and regulations will be published next year. You cant' really stop them any more than any other aircraft . . but . . With permission to fly recreationally at least, you just have to stay 100ft away from buildings, vessels and vehicles and not try to capture peoples recognizable faces on their own property . . without their permission. . .. and do not fly near crowds or open assemblies . . . On the other hand, there are tons of cameras capturing and researching your identity everywhere else in public. . without your permission . . and with no knowledge/visibility as to how your image is being used and for what purpose . . . so privacy goes out the window there. You generally can't go above 300ft and aircraft go below 500ft unless landing or taking off so there are not many faces you could capture at 200-300ft anyway.
go for it!

Last edited:
You cant' really stop them any more than any other aircraft . . but . . With permission to fly recreationally at least, you just have to stay 100ft away from buildings, vessels and vehicles and not try to capture peoples recognizable faces on their own property . . without their permission. . .. .!

Cooked, are you stating Canadian law? Because that is not the rules in the US.

Reactions: Cookedinlh
Thanks for the updates! I'm now investigating the seemingly murky waters of privacy and the rules of flying over private property. The only definitive answer is that you can fly over private property as long as you stay above 500 feet. So unless you have an exception to fly that high your out of luck.
(

Are you flying as a Hobby or Commercially? That determines a lot!!!!
FAA has their regulations and some states has more rules that address privacy.

Cooked, are you stating Canadian law? Because that is not the rules in the US.

Yes this is just Canada Rules . . . I have my aircraft registered in the US FAA so I do try to keep up on those issues . . fortunately, we have a bit of breathing space yet before they "set the rules" in concrete. . . I do think the FAA Part 107 for commercial activities are pretty reasonable . . . hoping we can achieve at least that level here too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s