DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Warning Private Airfield

Norman Pyett

Reactions
Here's my situation, went to my brother-in-laws 8 acre house east of Valrico, Fl and successfully launch my Mavic Air and immediately got a warning alert about a nearby private airfield, the screen basically said that it is my responsibility to fly with caution and accept all responsibility........at the bottom was a yes button, which I pressed and nothing happened the dark screen which filled a 1/3 of my screen remained on the whole time I was flying.
I'm new to drone flying, registered, and have watched and re-watched youtube video's and can't seem to figure this situation out.
Anyone experience this before and can lead me to my error(s)

Thanks in Advance
Norm

Update: there is a private grass air strip approx. 1/4mi from where I was flying. (1) owner air strip

Last edited:
Thanks MiniPalourde, Can you be a little bit more specific? Are you saying I should have used brother-in-law's
internet connection? and is there a section I should look at to unlock. The 8 acres is a great place to gain experience due to acres of open land.
Thanks

I had that come up today where I have flew several times and not seen it and I missed that circle . Thanks 0ROJYyg.png

Thanks MiniPalourde, Can you be a little bit more specific? Are you saying I should have used brother-in-law's
internet connection? and is there a section I should look at to unlock. The 8 acres is a great place to gain experience due to acres of open land.
Thanks

Basically, your brother in law lives in a restricted area. This means that you need to UNLOCK it before being able to fly in this area.

You have 2 options to unlock a restricted area:

FIRST ONE: THIS OPTION CAN BE USED ON-SITE AND ONLY ON-SITE. You need an internet connection WHILE YOU'RE ON-SITE to unlock your area. If you have the internet connection, you can simply click "yes" when there is a warning and you will be able to fly in said area. It's simple, you just have to click "yes" to the warning before flying, but you need to make sure you are connected to your brother-in-law's internet if you want it to actually work. Do what you did earlier, but this time CONNECTED to your brother-in-law's WIFI.

SECOND OPTION: THIS OPTION CAN BE USED TO REMOTELY UNLOCK AN AREA, ONLY USE THIS OPTION IF THERE IS NO INTERNET ACCESS IN SAID AREA.
You go on DJI's website that I linked above and you simply enter your area's name in the search bar. You will then see a BIG YELLOW CIRCLE, SORROUNDING THE WHOLE 8 ACRES OF YOUR BROTHER-IN-LAW. YOU NEED TO CLICK ON THIS YELLOW CIRCLE AND SELECT "UNLOCK". YOUR AREA WILL THEN BE UNLOCKED FOR 3 DAYS.

Question 1: "Are you saying I should have used brother-in-law's internet connection?"

Answer 1: Yes, you should have. If your brother-in-law has an internet connection, then I suggest you use it to unlock his whole area. You just have to connect to his WIFI and press "yes" when the warning pops-up. Refer to "option 1" above if you're not sure what to do.

Question 2: "is there a section I should look at to unlock. The 8 acres is a great place to gain experience due to acres of open land."

Answer 2: No. The restricted area is very, very big. It englobes the WHOLE 8 acres of your brother-in-law. You just have to unlock this restricted area and you will be able to fly ANYWHERE on the 8 acres of your brother-in-law. To be even more specific. the restricted area is basically a BIG CIRCLE that extends 5 miles (8 km) away from an airport to give you an idea of how big it is.

If you want me to be more specific, feel free to ask.

There is a grass field abut a mile from my home where I do most of my flying. I get the Yellow Box warning every time I turn on the RC/MP. I just click on the box, it turns off and I fly, but keep very alert for sight and sounds of any airplanes in the area. I have not heard nor seen a small plane land or take off in that field since I have lived here and until the snow melts, I don't think there will be one. But, I decided to drive over there this spring and talk to the owner of the field, to see if he is still even using it. I think that there are a lot of private grass fields around the county that aren't being used anymore, but area still marked on the official air maps. I suppose in an emergency, an airplane could and would land there, since it is marked on the map, so I just keep alert, watch and listen for small planes flying in the area. When I hear one, I will either bring my MP below the tree tops or bing it home asap. If I see the plane and it is a lot high them me, I don't worry about it, but still bring it home. I have never nor would I fly in the exact area of the field.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929