DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Watermark options/ protocol….

AirBoudreaux

Reactions
I’ve got a question about the use of watermarks. I know on some of the software that I’ve used (sketchfab for instance) the free version comes with a watermark and if you want the watermark removed, you have to pay for the subscription. I’m curious if anyone has used this model with their videos. I would have it in my contract upfront but I really want my watermark on all of my work. I just finished an 8 minute video of 4 locations for a client and they want me to take my watermark off. I’ve worked with this client before and they are someone I want to keep in my good graces as they are a big player in my city with a LOT of potential work. The stuff I have done for them before doesn’t have my watermark but I’ve noticed that every time they post the videos I make for them, they don’t credit me. I have had specific conversations with the woman that does the social media for them about crediting me and she still has yet to do it. The 8 minute video I just finished is a different contract than the other videos and I put my watermark at the bottom left. They emailed me back this afternoon asking me to take the watermark off. They are ok with my intro logo full screen at the beginning and the end but want the watermark removed from the entire video.

So I’m thinking about just chalking this one up as a learning experience but letting them know that moving forward there will be an extra fee to remove the watermark. I’m going to remind them that they have still yet to credit me on any of their posts.

Also what sort of fee sounds reasonable to remove the watermark? I was thinking at least $100. Would the type of video or what they are using it for make any difference to you.

Thank you in advance.

Hi. Have you been paid for the work and do you have a contact? Perhaps if you’re doing the work for free and it’s a clause in your contract to be credited at least then that would be okay. I can’t imagine a watermark being okay in any video made for a client and their audience even if the footage was free.

For paid work I would never watermark. I have, however, made a video from video footage that I took during a photo shoot and watermarked that as this was not one of the outputs.

Last edited:
I’ve got a question about the use of watermarks. I know on some of the software that I’ve used (sketchfab for instance) the free version comes with a watermark and if you want the watermark removed, you have to pay for the subscription. I’m curious if anyone has used this model with their videos. I would have it in my contract upfront but I really want my watermark on all of my work. I just finished an 8 minute video of 4 locations for a client and they want me to take my watermark off. I’ve worked with this client before and they are someone I want to keep in my good graces as they are a big player in my city with a LOT of potential work. The stuff I have done for them before doesn’t have my watermark but I’ve noticed that every time they post the videos I make for them, they don’t credit me. I have had specific conversations with the woman that does the social media for them about crediting me and she still has yet to do it. The 8 minute video I just finished is a different contract than the other videos and I put my watermark at the bottom left. They emailed me back this afternoon asking me to take the watermark off. They are ok with my intro logo full screen at the beginning and the end but want the watermark removed from the entire video.

So I’m thinking about just chalking this one up as a learning experience but letting them know that moving forward there will be an extra fee to remove the watermark. I’m going to remind them that they have still yet to credit me on any of their posts.

Also what sort of fee sounds reasonable to remove the watermark? I was thinking at least $100. Would the type of video or what they are using it for make any difference to you.

Thank you in advance.
Can only advise concerning my own methods. I ship image proofs to the client in JPG format with clear diagonal watermark. If they want high quality copies, they pay one rate for the version with my business logo (discreet, but clear) and a higher rate for logo free 16bit or 32bit floating point TIFF's. If they want the copyright: they pay a premium and get the whole shoot archive.

Reactions: CadrePilot
I’d agree with that approach for stills tbh. I think video first most of the time!

I’d agree with that approach for stills tbh. I think video first most of the time!
Same can apply to video. 720p definition proof with watermark for client approval. Full shot Def with discreet logo: one price, logo free and full copyright at a premium. It all depends what your customer base is. With companies (such as realtors etc.) this may not be a viable strategy, video and stills to them are a throwaway commodity. Wedding gigs, proof copies and then finished portfolio without logo, then any additional shots can be selected via your web page for an additional per-shot price.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weblloyd