DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoint mission question?

Marko9219

Reactions
So, if a waypoint mission is launched on Litchi or any other software, does the aircraft operate completely autonomously? As in during a complete loss of signal? It just finishes the mission then lands itself? Like you could launch it from your driveway, then go inside and grab a beer and wait for it to show up on the driveway again?

Yes, it operates autonomously and I've done this many times, several times when it's lost signal but it always completes it's mission and comes back to me.
One of my missions involves it going about 3000' from my home so for that part of the leg it is out of controller signal range.
I personally wouldn't leave the area or take my eyes off the screen only because if the signal came back and something happened you would be in control.

Yes, it operates autonomously and I've done this many times, several times when it's lost signal but it always completes it's mission and comes back to me.
One of my missions involves it going about 3000' from my home so for that part of the leg it is out of controller signal range.
I personally wouldn't leave the area or take my eyes off the screen only because if the signal came back and something happened you would be in control.
thanks! The reason I'm asking is I have a mission I need to program and fly a couple times a week. The destination is .97 of a mile from my front yard. The problem is, the last 1/4 of a mile will be over a ridge top and completely out of my view (and I assume out of controller range) so I really wanted to hear that it would keep flying the course and come back home on its own.
The mission would be simply to climb high enough to clear the 300 ft Ridgeline above my house then fly straight to the target, orbit it once while filming it, then come straight back home

thanks! The reason I'm asking is I have a mission I need to program and fly a couple times a week. The destination is .97 of a mile from my front yard. The problem is, the last 1/4 of a mile will be over a ridge top and completely out of my view (and I assume out of controller range) so I really wanted to hear that it would keep flying the course and come back home on its own.
The mission would be simply to climb high enough to clear the 300 ft Ridgeline above my house then fly straight to the target, orbit it once while filming it, then come straight back home
Keep in mind that flying beyond line of sight is illegal. Why would you want to do this anyway?

Keep in mind that flying beyond line of sight is illegal. Why would you want to do this anyway?
It'll be odd, but here goes: Ever heard of pickleball? It's an incredibly fast growing court game. A hybrid between tennis, badminton and ping pong, sort of. My wife and I play. 9/10 of a mile away from my house (as the drone flies) is a city run court. I'm in a bit of a valley, and the court sits up just beyond the crest of the hill above me. Just beyond my sight range.
All too often, we drive up to play, and the courts are busy. Problem is, as the drone flies, it's 9/10 of a mile, but by car, it's a slow 10 miles one way. So, I want to be able to send the drone to film the court BEFORE I drive to it. No guarantees, but at least if I see the courts are busy, I won't bother making the trip.
So, that's the mission: straight up and over to the court. Once around it and straight back home. After leaving my subdivision, It would be flying over a wooded, unpopulated area until it actually gets to the court. Then, by time it gets back into my neighborhood, it's within visual range again. It would never fly over any houses or anything after leaving my subdivision.

Yeah with Litchi it will continue it's mission when the signal drops, however you'll need lot's of guts to anxiously sit it out and wait for the signal to return and confirm your bird is still alive.

I would recommend flying that way to be honest, but provided you've planned the route meticulously, it will work.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ottog