DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints and Night Photos

Uhhjoe82

Reactions
I am an electrician and convert a lot of commercial and industrial parking lot fixtures to LEDs. I want to take before and after photos at night in the same position to do a side by side comparison. I’m trying to use waypoints to save the exact position to take a photo before the projects and after when it’s complete to compare photos. I can’t figure out how to pause the drone at each waypoint long enough to take a properly exposed night shot. I’ve also tried to use hyperlight feature and it doesn’t seem to be compatible with waypoints. Is it possible to do this or does anyone have a solution to this?

Reactions: Dronage
I haven't done this, but it's been mentioned that you can create a waypoint mission with the last waypoint being where you want to take the shot, and instruct the mission to STOP at the last waypoint rather than RETURN to WP1.

I'm not sure if DJI Go missions do this, but LITCHI missions have a variety of selections for what the craft should do when the last waypoint of a mission is reached, one of which is to just stop and hover. That should give you roughly the same position each time you fly the mission.

Edit: I'm not sure if the ACTION at each waypoint offers Hyperlight for either app, but if it's just stop and hover after the last WP, then you should be able to use any shooting mode.

Chris

Ok I will try that. So I can’t shoots night photos at multiple waypoints that are in different spots in the same mission? I have to make a mission with two waypoints ( one starting and one ending) and make this several times at different spots to get the same before and after photos at different areas and angles. Also I don’t think Hyperlight will work with Waypoints. Hyperlight is amazing at shooting clear night shots.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
With Litchi, you can indeed take shots at each / multiple waypoints (perhaps with DJI Go too--you'll have to check). I don't know if they are as accurate as you need, or may take a lot of fussing to program and try (during the day) to get it right before you can trust it doing the right thing at night; and as you say won't support Hyperlight.

I only suggested the "different mission for each shooting spot" idea because it allows you to just stop right there at the last way point and do what you want, including Hyerplight or just taking your time. Sso yes, just the minimum required number of waypoints per mission for that method.

Chris

The way I did it was to use Litchi's mission hub. The repeat flight was very close but not exact as wind and other factors come into play but close enough.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imMike507