DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Waypoints mission exactness

In DJI Flighthub 2 I created a mission that I still needs to fly. I wonder how precise the route will be flown. Is there any one who can advise?
Two things:
1. All your height measurements are relative to the launch point, so if you launch from anywhere other than the exact same launch point selected for the mission, elevations will be off, and intended barometric elevation changes have their own margin of error from the launch elevation. When you land, you'll see that the height is almost never back to exactly 0.
2. The accuracy of the route depends upon the accuracy of the GPS, which has its own margin of error, which depends upon the number of satellites in view, and its own inaccuracy, unless using correcting survey equipment. Golfers use GPS range finders, but they always hide measurements on the greens, stating "at the green" to hide how inaccurate they are, where people can easily see the detected position and where they actually are on the green. It can easily be off by 3-10 yards which is a 20 yard diameter circle of uncertainty! So, figure up to 10 yards in either direction.

In conclusion, the precision will vary. Others have posted overlapping video flights of the same mission, and they are close, but definitely not exactly the same! YMWV.

Two things:
1. All your height measurements are relative to the launch point, so if you launch from anywhere other than the exact same launch point selected for the mission, elevations will be off, and intended barometric elevation changes have their own margin of error from the launch elevation. When you land, you'll see that the height is almost never back to exactly 0.
2. The accuracy of the route depends upon the accuracy of the GPS, which has its own margin of error, which depends upon the number of satellites in view, and its own inaccuracy, unless using correcting survey equipment. Golfers use GPS range finders, but they always hide measurements on the greens, stating "at the green" to hide how inaccurate they are, where people can easily see the detected position and where they actually are on the green. It can easily be off by 3-10 yards which is a 20 yard diameter circle of uncertainty! So, figure up to 10 yards in either direction.

In conclusion, the precision will vary. Others have posted overlapping video flights of the same mission, and they are close, but definitely not exactly the same! YMWV.
Thanks for the response...it indicates that there is some tolerance but when I count in a certain percentage of
"safeness" this should be enough...

You don’t explain what yr doing that requires precision. For any surveying activity you need an RTK capable drone like the M3 Enterprise. With the Inspire 1 for non precise surveying work I used Autopilot SW (now defunct)for years and always allowed 50 feet as a rough safety margin. Before the mission, I’d fly to various points on the plan to confirm obstacle positions like tree tops, wires etc then make sure there was an additional 50 Ft for safety.

Reactions: Spartan Drones
A couple of other things to watch out for and test beforehand. I've never used DJI Flighthub, so I don't know if these are an issue or not. Just something to think about.

If your first waypoint is some distance away from your takeoff location, does your drone fly a straight line from takeoff but only gradually increasing height to that waypoint? Are there obstacles to clear on the way? Or will it first take off straight up and climb to waypoint height, before then flying at altitude toward the first waypoint?

You can ensure it'll first climb/descend straight up/down by setting the first/last waypoint at a safe height directly above the planned takeoff location.

The second is, does the flight path go directly in a straight line between waypoints, or does it "smooth" the corners? If it carves a smooth arc short of the actual waypoint, you'll need to take that into account if you're planning to fly around any obstacles.

You don’t explain what yr doing that requires precision. For any surveying activity you need an RTK capable drone like the M3 Enterprise. With the Inspire 1 for non precise surveying work I used Autopilot SW (now defunct)for years and always allowed 50 feet as a rough safety margin. Before the mission, I’d fly to various points on the plan to confirm obstacle positions like tree tops, wires etc then make sure there was an additional 50 Ft for safety.
I have created in Flighthub 2 a mission for my Mavic 3 and would like to understand the tolerance for the flown path created in this mission.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman