DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

waypoints vs virtual sticks

ok so simple question are true waypoints flown from within the drone rather than virtual sticks smoother ?
ive tried dronelink and maven but to me its not as smooth as i would like any thoughts ?
we know no for sure DJi are not going to add waypoints to the MA2. maybe not even the M3 !
Litchi uploads the entire mission, (including waypoints). to the drone before you start it. The mission can be set to complete even if you lose the rc connection.

Reactions: ninja_geezer
Litchi uploads the entire mission, (including waypoints). to the drone before you start it. The mission can be set to complete even if you lose the rc connection.
does this give smooth results ?

I am using a Mavic Pro 1 and have programmed a rising and expanding spiral on the the litchi site then uploaded it to the drone. All video is smooth. Make sure Litchi works with the Air 2.

You can test fly it in Google Earth pro using: Virtual Litchi Mission

Spiral Mission maker is found here: Mission Utilities for Litchi
So you mean litchi uses another method than visrtualsticks? MA2 doesn't have waypoints.
No one have said waypoints are not smooth, but air 2 doesn't support it, so it has to fallback to virtualsticks, which makes things not so smooth.

What do you mean by "smooth results"? )

The DJI's virtual sticks mode is more flexible in controlling a drone (concerning automated flights) and it also uses almost high-level commands. The disadvantages are that most movement calculations are made on mobile device and there is no ability to continue a mission in RC-connectionless mode.
However, there is no choice for MA2, Mini and Spark - these drones doesn't support regular missions. Virtual sticks only.
Also, those DJI drones, that support regular missions may disable such functionality in some conditions. Eg flying in specially unlocked no-fly zones in some countries. So, virtual sticks mode is the only option for an automated flights in such conditions.

Here is my not-so-famous flight app to try (very secret link to get it for free).

Automated flights for MA2 are not very perfect yet, but I'm working on it. And there is also an option for the drones with regular missions support to fly them in virtual sticks mode.

ok so simple question are true waypoints flown from within the drone rather than virtual sticks smoother ?
ive tried dronelink and maven but to me its not as smooth as i would like any thoughts ?
we know no for sure DJi are not going to add waypoints to the MA2. maybe not even the M3 !
I use the Litchi APP which has a great waypoints option for the Mavic 2 Pro/zoom. It also has an option to set your waypoints based on the live position of the drone. In Waypoints you just manually fly to a position then hit your C1 button (set our C1 button to "waypoints at aircraft") to add a waypoint. It's a great option to set up waypoints in a hard to navigate location. Using waypoints is much smoother than you can control with sticks since you cannot control speeds, turns, etc as smooth.

That is my YouTube page,
I found if you change the motion settings you can have better results. These are the settings i used for the above video. This was using Beta 137 . I have not had a chance to try 141 with the same settings.View attachment 124969

Wow!!! Just tested this morning and the improvement is HUGE!!! Thanks for posting this info.

I have been using Litchi for about a year together with the Mavic 2 Pro. The results are smooth. However, Litchi uploads the waypoints only. The RC controls the camera pitch at all times. Therefore, when you lose connection, the camera will remain in its last position. That said, when the RC signal becomes weak, you might experience some erratic vertical camera movements.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan