DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

We all know the 2S is better,

WimStang

Reactions
but I do want to say, as a new Air 2 owner, I am completely satisfied. My videos and photos are stunning and flying this bird is a pleasure. It is very windy in Wisconsin today and it handled it easily. I see many who have upgraded to the Air 2S, but feel the Air2 still has a place for those of us who are not professionals. I truly hope DJI recognizes that and will support the Air 2 in the future. It appears to me, to be an almost perfect fit between the Mini and the more advanced drones. There's always a newer drone around the corner, but this hits the balance I was looking for. Stick with it, DJI as you have a winner for those of us in the middle.

I can certainly understand your point. The Air2 is quite a venerable machine. It is important to understand that most of DJI drones are CAMERA drones. But I can easily understand why the ultimate in camera superiority may not be important (at all?) to some.

In a parallel universe I have the same feeling for my Mavic 2 Pro and see no pressing need to spend the (large amount of) extra money on the Mavic 3 for a marginal benefit in picture quality (and a downgraded controller) over the M2P . At some point my imaging needs will surpass what the M2P can do right now and I would consider a newer model drone at that time. But even as an imaging professional, the M2P is more than adequate for my current needs. I don't see my clientele demanding that I shoot in 5k or 6k although being able to do so would be a minor convenience.

I have both the Air 2 and Air 2s. I will be keeping both. I like the O3 transmission system in the 2s and it seems to have crisper response to control inputs. It is also slightly faster when ascending and descending. Of course the camera in the 2s is a bit better.

But I have to agree with WimStang, I really love the Air 2 as well. I use Litchi with the Air 2 and really enjoy the preprogrammed flights. It is a solid drone and I hope DJI continues to support it in the future.

MA2 AOK from me as well. Added a couple of batts to the FMC pack, couple of gizmos, extra charger. does me fine :). Goes up occasionally (I'm more of a 'happy snapper' as opposed to pro), pics more than vids, has exactly all the bells'n'whistles my ageing (OK, 62 :) brain requires/can handle. Esp. with the ever-more restrictive rules/regulations being introduced here in UK due to certain morons. Long live MA2!

I am always leery of anything that starts with "We all know".....

but I do want to say, as a new Air 2 owner, I am completely satisfied. My videos and photos are stunning and flying this bird is a pleasure. It is very windy in Wisconsin today and it handled it easily. I see many who have upgraded to the Air 2S, but feel the Air2 still has a place for those of us who are not professionals. I truly hope DJI recognizes that and will support the Air 2 in the future. It appears to me, to be an almost perfect fit between the Mini and the more advanced drones. There's always a newer drone around the corner, but this hits the balance I was looking for. Stick with it, DJI as you have a winner for those of us in the middle.
Congrats on your Air 2. I have read nothing but good about it. As for DJI continuing support, it is 'up in the air'. I have a Mavic Pro which is perfect and they no longer support it. Maybe it's their way for us to upgrade. Who knows?

My Air2 is has everything I need in a drone. I’m not a pro, fly only recreational and am not looking for that “perfrct” picture. My grandson (22yrs old) was able to fly it easily the first time he had the controller in his hands and he really loves it!
Although I could afford to go to a 2s, I don’t see a good reason to migrate to one, unless I want to give the Air2 to my grandson!

A2 series support should continue a long time with interchangeable parts, batts, props, etc. The affordable ‘perfect fit’ above the Minis. The M3 is above the price range for many recreational flyers…(Me). 😎

Congrats on your Air 2. I have read nothing but good about it. As for DJI continuing support, it is 'up in the air'. I have a Mavic Pro which is perfect and they no longer support it. Maybe it's their way for us to upgrade. Who knows?
I have owned an Air 2 since May 2020 and, apart from the update that very generously gifted me the digital zoom capability, have seen absolutely no reason for the multitude of tweaking updates that I have had to deal to, over the past two years. The drone has flown without fault since Day 1 (and that was from before the updates started). So if DJI choose not to send any more updates, as long as they leave it alone, I will continue to enjoy flying it, until (most likely) the batteries expire! 👍😎🇳🇿

I’ve had an Air2 for over a year now and couldn’t be more satisfied. I m getting involved in some activities where I need the superior low light capabilities of the Air2s, but otherwise I would have stayed with my Air2. The camera resolution on the Air2 was just fine for me before this and the drone performed really well. The lack of upward sensors wasn’t an issue as I prefer to stay out of trouble on my own. IMO, It’s a great drone!

I'm also satisficed with my Air 2 - The only use case that I would personally appreciate the 2S more for is for the night flying that I'm currently doing - Less noise with the 2S camera. And I'm very pleased that the batteries are interchangeable.

And with the Aire Fly More Kit at $798.99...
...I still bring it up in a discussion with potential new pilots. :)

Last edited:

Understandable. I'm just a recreational flyer but have a couple of Pro equipment in my toy box. Even bought an OM4 just to have fun at other level. Also, like you, completely satisfied with my Air 2.

Too bad we could not just buy the 2s camera and bolt it on to the Air 2.... I do like the image quality improvement, but cant justify the expense of a whole new drone after only having the Air 2 for 2 years. I am happy enough, especially being on a pension now.

Well, I've joined the Air 2S club. I have along wait until Tuesday. Looking forward to familiarizing myself with the new capabilities.

I have owned an Air 2 since May 2020 and, apart from the update that very generously gifted me the digital zoom capability, have seen absolutely no reason for the multitude of tweaking updates that I have had to deal to, over the past two years. The drone has flown without fault since Day 1 (and that was from before the updates started). So if DJI choose not to send any more updates, as long as they leave it alone, I will continue to enjoy flying it, until (most likely) the batteries expire! 👍😎🇳🇿
Yeah the recent one that removed the ability to download photos while it flies really sucked. Got zero new features in return, just a reconfigured way of seeing the manual controls.

What made it easy for me to choose the Air 2 over the "S" is my intended means of getting the footage & images out. The compression used on YouTube & social media sites is such that it negates the difference in quality between the two. Add to that most people are viewing on a 1080P monitor (or their phone) and I don't see any need to spend more $

Reactions: WimStang
What made it easy for me to choose the Air 2 over the "S" is my intended means of getting the footage & images out. The compression used on YouTube & social media sites is such that it negates the difference in quality between the two. Add to that most people are viewing on a 1080P monitor (or their phone) and I don't see any need to spend more $
I see the choice as FPV or no FPV. I have owned an Air 2 since 2020 and have no interest in flying like a bumble bee ……. 🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝👍😉🇳🇿

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS