DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weather forecasting application for US pilots

UND_WxGuesser

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Hi all- I'm a professor/weather researcher at the University of North Dakota who also dabbles in the UAS space. One of the limitations we've seen with current forecasting applications is the lack of uncertainty in short-term forecasts and availability of both forecast and real-time data in one place. We received funding through the FAA ASSURE program and their partners to develop an open/free forecast platform for weather forecasts and I'm proud to introduce our platform in this post! For those of you who are in the US, I'd love to have you try it out. A brief overview of what the application provides and how to use it is below. Also- big thanks to the dronepilots team for clearing us to share this with you!

The application:
ASSURE UAS Forecast

The details:
When you first open the application, you enter a screen that looks like:
Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-27-41 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
  1. Radar composite data comes from blended radar data provided by the National Severe Storms Laboratory. This will allow you to quickly see where precipitation is falling (but watch out in areas near mountains where radars can miss storms!).
  2. Active watches and warnings from the National Weather Service. If you double click on a point to make a forecast, it will show a hazard icon if you are inside of a hazard. Click this to get more details.
  3. METAR stations- standard surface weather observations typically located at airports. Temperature, dewpoint, pressure, and the wind barb are shown.
  4. mPING reports - crowdsourced observations by people reporting weather. This can help in areas where the precipitation is shallow or blocked by terrain and unseen by radar.
To make a forecast, double click the map. This tells our cloud server to *create* a user specific forecast for you by looking at the weather model data in the vicinity of your location. This may take up to a minute depending on whether the cloud server needs to spin up and how active the weather is. Forecasts go out +18 hours. Once the forecast is made you will see something like:
Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-40-10 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
The colors will change based off the platform you choose (we just used their default specs). You are probably better off choosing custom wind values based off of your comfort with piloting!

Based on an initial survery of UAS users, we provide parameters such as precipitation, winds and gusts, ceiling, and visibility. We include a range in values to help you judge how much uncertainty there is in the forecast. The 'Apply Bias Corrections' button is something that corrects wind variables under certain situations based off forecast verification we have performed in the past. In most cases, you probably won't notice a difference. If you click on the little graph icon, you will get additional plots that show the range in values expected and a time-series of the variables:
Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 14-06-26 ASSURE UAS Forecast.pngScreenshot 2024-08-01 at 14-06-36 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
For this case, you can see the bottom bar in the main application turns orange due to stronger winds expected later in the period. The white/blue colors indicate day/night.
Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 14-06-52 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png

Note that the application is still in development and the biggest thing we need to implement is a conversion of the rainfall intensity to a probability. We also know the model can struggle with some precipitation, so we are generating an approach that combines both current radar and model data to give you the best estimate of precipitation risk. The forecasts you request are anonymously saved (no tracking info), and we actually use this information to test the skill of the model. Try it out, and let us know what what you think. We know there are probably some bugs still out there, and any feedback will help! I will be monitoring this thread and I'm happy to answer *any* weather and weather forecasting questions you have.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-27-41 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-27-41 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
    497.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-53-43 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-53-43 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-40-32 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-40-32 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-40-24 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 13-40-24 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 4
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

I'll be checking it out!

Hello from the Crossroads of America UND_WxGuesser

I took a peek and was curious what the (3) green numbers are around the airports.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

This will help

1722540702848.png

Thanks for the welcome! This should help with the green numbers- Temperature and Dewpoint temperature are in degrees Fahrenheit. Barbs in this case indicate winds are out of the WSW, blowing to the ENE. The more lines you see off the barb, the stronger the wind. This one reads 5kts. More detail on reading the winds is available here.
Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 16-23-22 ASSURE UAS Forecast.png

UND alum here! Welcome to the forum and I’ll check this out.

Reactions: UND_WxGuesser
Thank you for the information.... also thanks for all the work that was put into this app !

Good looking app.
Are there plans to be able switch from the dark mode?
Currently, the drone menu has options, but it does not allow you to change from the DJI Mavic 3. I can type in DJI Mini 2, but it stays @ the default.

Good looking app.
Are there plans to be able switch from the dark mode?
Currently, the drone menu has options, but it does not allow you to change from the DJI Mavic 3. I can type in DJI Mini 2, but it stays @ the default.
Great question on the dark mode. I'll see if we can add an option for bright mode.

What browser are you using? If you click the arrow pointing down to the right of the model, it should bring down a drop down menu. We don't have the Mini2 in there, which may be why it isn't changing. I also need to update the list to include the Mini 3/4 (I'm about to get a 4!).

Great question on the dark mode. I'll see if we can add an option for bright mode.

What browser are you using? If you click the arrow pointing down to the right of the model, it should bring down a drop down menu. We don't have the Mini2 in there, which may be why it isn't changing. I also need to update the list to include the Mini 3/4 (I'm about to get a 4!).
I'm using Google on my tablet. I tried selecting any one of the other selections in the drop down, if went back to the default. I have not tried it on our laptop w/Windows.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alphaagentleads