DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What’s going on? - Mini3 secretly spied on me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be kind and call allot of people in this thread naive although there are several other terms that may be more appropriate.
In Feb of this year FBI Director Christopher Wray announced the FBI is opening a new China related counter-intelligence investigation on average every 12 hours, with over 2,000 such cases currently underway. He went on to say There is no country that presents a broader, more severe threat to our innovation, our ideas and our economic security than China does. "The scale of their hacking program, and the amount of personal and corporate data that their hackers have stolen, is greater than every other country combined,”
You can call it whatever makes you feel good but facts are facts
In 2015 it was discovered a Chinese manufacturer was placing a tiny microchip, not much bigger than a grain of rice, on server boards these boards could be found in our Department of Defense data centers, the CIA’s drone operations, and the onboard networks of Navy warships. These chips allowed the attackers to create a stealth doorway into any network that included the altered machines.
In 2017, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security warned that DJI was “selectively targeting government and privately owned entities to expand its ability to collect and exploit sensitive U.S. data.” Officials believe that DJI’s commercial drones and software are “providing U.S. critical infrastructure and law enforcement data to the Chinese government.” The Los Angeles office of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement bureau stated: “The Chinese government directorates most likely receiving the data from DJI’s cloud are the offices responsible for defense, critical infrastructure, traffic controlling, and cyber offense
Pick a side on which country is lying.
Grow up and learn Comrade China is not your friend.

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
Agreed. Privacy went out when keyboards connected to computers.

I'm going to be kind and call allot of people in this thread naive although there are several other terms that may be more appropriate.
In Feb of this year FBI Director Christopher Wray announced the FBI is opening a new China related counter-intelligence investigation on average every 12 hours, with over 2,000 such cases currently underway. He went on to say There is no country that presents a broader, more severe threat to our innovation, our ideas and our economic security than China does. "The scale of their hacking program, and the amount of personal and corporate data that their hackers have stolen, is greater than every other country combined,”
In 2015 it was discovered a Chinese manufacturer was placing a tiny microchip, not much bigger than a grain of rice, on server boards these boards could be found in our Department of Defense data centers, the CIA’s drone operations, and the onboard networks of Navy warships. These chips allowed the attackers to create a stealth doorway into any network that included the altered machines.
In 2017, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security warned that DJI was “selectively targeting government and privately owned entities to expand its ability to collect and exploit sensitive U.S. data.” Officials believe that DJI’s commercial drones and software are “providing U.S. critical infrastructure and law enforcement data to the Chinese government.” The Los Angeles office of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement bureau stated: “The Chinese government directorates most likely receiving the data from DJI’s cloud are the offices responsible for defense, critical infrastructure, traffic controlling, and cyber offense
Pick a side on which country is lying.
All of that, and you still bought a DJI Drone in the last few months? Odd behaviour.

Got it.
You don't like some things about China ... so anything, even the silliest, wackiest, most unlikely things someone can suggest must be true.
Even when they make no sense at all.

Can't talk directly about the mini3, but on other recent DJI devices the "Find My Drone" function always records the last 30 seconds of each flight to help in seeing what happened/find it in case of a crash. Gets overwritten on the next flight etc of course.
That's exactly what it was. Seen it with my M3P.

Well let me be the first to thank you, THANK YOU, for being such a model of civility, kindness (as you made clear!), and friendliness here on this family-oriented forum.

An example for us all to emulate. 🙄

Perhaps if you try wrapping your head in HEAVY DUTY and NON STICK aluminum foil the problem will be solved.....

Sorry, your photos and videos are not that interesting to anyone BUT you (those of you artistic in your image capture excepted of course). Images can be used for the device to orient itself as stated by previous posts and capturing landmarks for use on better defining no fly areas make more sense than the clandestine data capture that you suggest.

The conspiracy exists in your mind only.

Maybe it's the Find my drone function, you can just repeat the flight somewhere else and check again for 30 seconds of recording before landing

Reactions: Torque
Well, after reading this, I'm glad I use the RC controller, not the RC-N1, & don't use a smartphone while transferring or saving files.

Call me a pre-historic curmudgeon, but I don't have, use, or even like smartphones.

But, every flight with my M3P, it's always RTH facing in the same when landing as when it did when it took off.

Also, when I launch & land it (I actually hand-launch & hand catch) I have it facing away from me anyway.

Since I stay out of restricted zones, I've never had to ask & receive permission to fly in them, so I wouldn't know, but I've never received any kind of the short 30-second clip which the OP mentioned, & 1 of the comments above-mentioned that any interweb connection is automatically turned off for flight anyway - at least, it is on my RC controller.

While I give the law all the respect it's due (i.e. a subjective individual decision) I think that the moral of the story here is, don't fly in restricted zones unless you've asked & received permission prior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rchawks
I have had the dji drone for almost 2 years until I recently sold it and bought a Skydio.

Torque Don't worry most of those devices have low IQ detectors😊 your safe.
"Torque Don't worry most of those devices have low IQ detectors😊 you're safe." <--- Fixed your sentence for you Frank. Don't worry - no need to feel ashamed, many of the greatest minds, like yours, make the same mistake. (The Chinese spies didn't even notice the error!).

• Haha
Reactions: Pile and BroomRider
DJI Drones and collecting data… said it before and say again…
Drone is used maybe 3-4 days a week, with avg flight time 20 minutes, and for the majority the flights are prevented from various areas categorized as restricted. Most drone footage is useless hobbyist footage… zero value to any Intel collection.

Now let‘s move to the device not seeming to get much attention or concern… Cellular phones. Most popular cellular devices are iPhones & iPads… recall where those are manufactured? Using the same Hardware & iOS that the majority of Drone apps run on... Android popular but USA is primarily Apple devices.

On essentially 24x7, carried & used by millions more than combined total of Drone Owners. Carried into every place imaginable, restricted or not… they’re on. National Parks, Heart of major cities, Airports, Planes, Military bases, etc. Not only outside, but internally inside structures of Govt, State & Private.

Other devices: Conference Room TV’s, Polycoms, WebCams, etc… all ON or capable of being ON. Not including all the Cell Phone, Cars, etc that have Mic’s constantly ON.

If collection of data was critical… there are so many other devices providing so much more data. The Drone is a pimple in the tools to collect useful data. No attention to other devices… Drones is more political and desire of market… no ‘proof‘ has ever been presented by any Govt agency on DJI. That’s why UK recently ignored the concerns and USA challenges by DJI are slowly gaining ground.

Reactions: Pile and Torque
Without trying to appear as if I'm bashing & hating on Chinese (& other similar repressive gov'ts), all else being equal, I'd have much preferred that something with the same or very similar specs was made right here at home in the USA.

Back in 2004, when I bought my Toyota Prius (& I still have it, runs like new!), I got some heat because it was made in Japan... I try to buy domestically when I can, but, if something is better (or not even offered domestically at the time, like my Prius, a hybrid) I'll buy elsewhere. I don't even mind paying more for it if it's domestically-manufactured...

Like, for example, my most recent purchase of a pair of heavy-duty all temp/all weather boots... I could have just gone to my local MalWart & picked up a pair of Chinese-made boots, but my experience with them is that no matter how nice they appear to be made, ~2 years & they're trashed.

So, I ordered a pair from RedWing... mind you, they cost ~5x as much, but those will likely be the last boots I ever have to buy.

As to interweb security, call me paranoid, but I turned off every single potential data-leak function that I could on my desktop machine, even if that resulted in a reduced function, i.e., no webcam, no Alexa, etc. Similarly, as I stated above, I don't have or use smartphones. Also, I use no WiFi, 'hotspots' or other wireless data transmission functions. Even my home phone is a corded landline. ;)

I still have my OEM Mk I smart device & it's still working fine, Thank You!

Reactions: Frank Dracman
It amazes me how so many people pick and chose what they want to read in a post. AGAIN, at no time did I ever support the OP original question. I just posted FACTS where the u.s. government was concerned about the data that China and dji were collecting. A couple intelligent individuals pm'd me with support and mentioned if you post negative facts the dji fan boys will jump all over you and apparently if they don't have anything useful to say they'll correct your spelling. I thought this was a site where people could exchange information and even facts. When people chose to ignore facts, they deserve what they get, comrades.

How do you people maintain VLOS with your head in the sand (or in some cases up your @#$)?

This thread has got way off topic and although I have deleted several posts, I see there is no way of getting it back on track

1662933971941.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent