DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What can I do with my Mavic 2 Zoom beyond just photos and video?

Hubster

Reactions
In summer 2019, I decided to quit my permanent role in media (nothing to do with photography or filming) and started freelancing instead. In parallel, I bought a Mavic 2 Zoom and obtained my PfCO with the view of having an aerial photography company offering photos and videos. Last year in Spring, I stopped freelancing for a bit to try and focus on the company solely but work has been thin on the ground to say the least. I am freelancing again now to pay the bills with a view of having to return to full time employment this year and giving up the "drone dream".

Now I know last year we were in the middle of a pandemic but I was wondering if anyone is able to suggest any other services I could offer with my Mavic 2 Zoom. I don't want to make the mistake a lot of people do by buying more expensive equipment as I won't get the ROI. Therefore, is there any other software that works with the Zoom? I am thinking mapping or data collection software. I am based in the UK.

I knew it would always be a tough job to start out on my own which is why I have kept my toe in my previous industry. I appreciate there is an element of saturation for people just offering basic photo and video services so I am also seeing if there are any drone companies who are recruiting for staff as they grow (not pilots specifically). However, would be good if I could make some kind of living out of my Mavic 2 Zoom!

Thanks

I am new to the drone world, having been given a M2Z for Christmas as I am a keen photographer. In the short time I have had the drone I have been asked at lease a dozen time if I could do a 3D map of peoples houses and land. This tends to be people with a house in the country.

I am not experienced enough to do any of this yet but can tell you that people are prepared to pay anywhere from £200 - £500 for a good map centred on their property.

I hope this helps in your creative thoughts

Reactions: Hubster
I can't comment to your area, and surely don't want to burst your dreams but basically your quite a bit late to the game at least from my standpoint on this side of the pond. The basic industry was swamped probably in 2018-19. Seems everyone had your dream. While many went right for the Kill and got a Inspire 2 and went "Pro". Others scaled back abit and got a P4P system, others opted for the M2P. I went for the Zoom option like you did as it fit the situation I wanted to fill at the moment.

I personally got my 107 cert. here in the states as I was doing some light commercial work for neighbors and wanted to be compliant with our regulations. I got a huge updraft back then by word of mouth. And it really turned into a quite a bit more than I was able to accept clients. Subsequently at that time I turned to training farmers to fly their own systems of which used to be my clients and decided that it was in their best interest to buy their own systems.

It is hard to say what would be available in your area as there are quite a few faucets of the industry. Mapping is one of the more growing as I see these days, again from my observations of availability and growth. There are also quite a few one shot deals of just "regular" people that would like a overflight of their property or a aerial snapshot of their homes, but pricing is key, I have found.

Networking is pretty much key and advertising your services. You would do well to form a show reel of your services and production and editing skills of former shoots, or just make one from scratch going to good areas of interests and points of interests. IF you have friends or family that might help network your skills that is a big help getting your services out there to start and from there you might get a foot hold. Basically what I am saying everybody these days has a drone or know people that do, so your going to have to excel in something in the field to out do the others to push them to your services.

I wish you well and hope you can get your endeavor rolling, as they say it is a dog eat dog world out there and during these times it makes it so much worse when dealing with a start up and interacting with clients.. Best of luck to you sir.

One last thing..how you present yourself to new clients is key. Look professional, act professional, be direct but not cocky. give a little at first on cost, donate services if possible where you can in your community and that will help further your notoriety for prospective clients..Take care.

Here are a few ideas (I also have a M2Z and fly in the San Francisco Bay Area) - I'm breaking into field of boat droning. Because of COVID, many people are selling their boats because they can't make payments, and they need a video from the air to help sell the boat. Also, boat owners love to show off their boat via a video to their friends and family. If you like this idea, go to youtube and watch all the videos about drones and boats. Create a boat droning reel by offering to drone a boat for free. Another idea is to start offering drone time to adults with autism and downs syndrome. If you google drones and autism, you will find several people/companies offering their drones (for a fee) to people with autism. Good luck!

Reactions: spacetruckin
Lots you can do with your zoom besides pics. Add a Gannet bait release an go fishing. Not profitable but can help the food budget.
Seriously, hope all goes well on your endeavors. Good luck.

There's a general rule about business start ups and the likelihood of their success. The more barriers (licenses, certificates, experience, difficulty and cost) to overcome for entry, the greater the odds for success. If it's relatively easy to "get in", others will note your success and copy you. For a drone based business, barriers are not that high, so establishing a stellar reputation with lots of referrals is key (and not all that easy to do if one is relying on it for a living. Babysitting the start-up, while keeping another job, is one good way to go at it.

Reactions: Greenflash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78