DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What do Mavic Pilots Fly Indoors?

HELLO, I HAVE A BLADE 180 QX AND I USE A SPECTRUM DX8 WHICH IS A FEW YEARS OLD NOW BUT INDOORS IT FLYS VERY WELL AND STABLE, I HAVE SOFTENED THE CONTROLS A BIT THOUGHT, WHAT IS THE LA TRAX LIKE INDOORS, IS IT STABLE, THANKS.

Reactions: E92Vancouver
Syma X20 ($25) - this is actually my favorite non-DJI drone, it even has altitude hold. The value is off the charts and it's small enough to have lots of fun with indoors. Beginner & advanced mode, and can do flips, etc. It even has auto take off & land, and headless mode. You can even fly it outside if it's really calm and it can easily go 100 ft away. It's unbelievable how many features they have crammed into such a cheap and tiny package.

Holy Stone HS170 ($35-40) - A step up in size and power from the above, and has interchangeable batteries. No altitude hold on mine, but they now make a version that has it. Really great quality for the price, and is well suited for backyard flight in low wind. VERY fast in advanced mode, but can be tamed right down to fly in the living room.

Hubsan X4 H107 (multiple variants) ($30) - I had two of these and they were both garbage so I returned them. Basically a much worse version of the Holy Stone HS170, almost identical in size and design. The Hubsan version lets off the loudest high pitched squeal (like a dog whistle) that you can possibly imagine, and both of mine had the same issue. Hubsan support told me it was normal and that is the sound the control board made. Even outside the sound was unbearable because it was so high pitched - stay away from these things. If you have a dog they will hate you. It was also a step down in quality from the Holy Stone HS170 variants.

DJI/Ryze TELLO ($99) - this is by far the most advanced and highest quality "cheap" drone you can get for the money because it has Intel / DJI tech in it. You need a smartphone to fly it but there are remotes you can get for it separately. Camera is usable but not great.

Anything much bigger than the above and you probably aren't flying it indoors unless you have access to a gymnasium or similar.

HELLO, I HAVE A BLADE 180 QX AND I USE A SPECTRUM DX8 WHICH IS A FEW YEARS OLD NOW BUT INDOORS IT FLYS VERY WELL AND STABLE, I HAVE SOFTENED THE CONTROLS A BIT THOUGHT, WHAT IS THE LA TRAX LIKE INDOORS, IS IT STABLE, THANKS.

The La Trax is pretty stable. Hand flying a drone without all the pilot aids is very fun.

Syma X20 ($25) - this is actually my favorite non-DJI drone, it even has altitude hold. The value is off the charts and it's small enough to have lots of fun with indoors. Beginner & advanced mode, and can do flips, etc. It even has auto take off & land, and headless mode. You can even fly it outside if it's really calm and it can easily go 100 ft away. It's unbelievable how many features they have crammed into such a cheap and tiny package.

Holy Stone HS170 ($35-40) - A step up in size and power from the above, and has interchangeable batteries. No altitude hold on mine, but they now make a version that has it. Really great quality for the price, and is well suited for backyard flight in low wind. VERY fast in advanced mode, but can be tamed right down to fly in the living room.

Hubsan X4 H107 (multiple variants) ($30) - I had two of these and they were both garbage so I returned them. Basically a much worse version of the Holy Stone HS170, almost identical in size and design. The Hubsan version lets off the loudest high pitched squeal (like a dog whistle) that you can possibly imagine, and both of mine had the same issue. Hubsan support told me it was normal and that is the sound the control board made. Even outside the sound was unbearable because it was so high pitched - stay away from these things. If you have a dog they will hate you. It was also a step down in quality from the Holy Stone HS170 variants.

DJI/Ryze TELLO ($99) - this is by far the most advanced and highest quality "cheap" drone you can get for the money because it has Intel / DJI tech in it. You need a smartphone to fly it but there are remotes you can get for it separately. Camera is usable but not great.

Anything much bigger than the above and you probably aren't flying it indoors unless you have access to a gymnasium or similar.

Wow about the Syma X20! How does the altitude hold work? With accelerometers? I want one. Can't believe it has headless mode. Incredible!

Reactions: CanadaDrone
EMAX Tinyhawk. It is a last 1S model that runs on a standard betaflight, has an embedded frsky d8 receiver on board, so it links to your taranis, or you can buy a version with its own remote. Fun.

I fly the Tello indoors. As stated above, the camera is lacking, but VERY stable flight! Also, there is a third party app that allows for autonomous flight.

Wow about the Syma X20! How does the altitude hold work? With accelerometers? I want one. Can't believe it has headless mode. Incredible!

Pretty sure it has a little barometer in it as I am not sure how else they would do it. There are no external sensors or anything on the drone. It's quite amazing for the price. It's not as precise or steady as a DJI drone's altitude hold obviously but if you just let go of the remote it stays put in the air with hardly any movement - most other indoor drones require constant throttle modulation to stay in the air which makes them difficult to fly as that same throttle stick of course controls the yaw. Auto landing/takeoff is cool, and it even has headless mode. In advanced mode it can do flips with a press of a button and it's trimmable if it ever drifts slightly. Remote is compact and easy to use. I believe it even came with spare props. Beginner mode is very tame and anyone can fly it. In advanced mode it's surprisingly responsive and I can tell you from experience it's very durable haha. I've had hours of fun with it.

Another thing I forgot - it even has prop idle, so you can start it while it's on the ground and it idles like a Mavic, ready to takeoff. It behaves exactly like a mini DJI drone.

Controls are identical to DJI and I trained myself on these little things before buying a "real" drone.

Only downside I would say is the 5-6min flight time and since it doesn't have swappable batteries, you would need to buy another drone if you wanted to fly back-to-back, but they are so cheap that is not unreasonable. It charges via micro USB so you can charge it pretty much everywhere. The remote takes regular batteries and I have never had to change mine.

I’ve flown my MA inside many times. Last week I used it to create a video record of the inside of the house moving from room to room and even up and down stairs (just for flying practice). A couple of things to remember. As others have said turn OFF Obstacle Avoidance and keep in mind that there is actually a suction (low pressure) on top of the rotor blades. This is unnoticed when flying outside, but inside, if you get too close to a ceiling the quad will actually rise as the low pressure area acts on the immovable ceiling and the moveable quad (video).

https://youtu.be/QSxdqCH26Tc

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_