DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What drone for fighting wind?

That video was actually quite helpful to me. I have racing drones that will easily handle the wind but I want the gps and altitude hold and a better camera than my old Gopro. I really just want a video drone that handles high wind well. The fpv seems to do that and makes it where a novice like me can let go of the sticks and have it stop as well as hover in place for pics and video in very windy conditions. I understand that it is made for ripping around and going fast but that power can also be used for stabilization for folks like me.

Next question: How does the fpv camera compare to my M1X?

Thanks, Mike
I fly FPV and Mavic pros and I love them both, but for different reasons. Mavic 2 for filming and photos, FPV for excitement. My mate flys an inspire2 and he swears by that in any wind conditions

The FPV is a great drone, but just bear in mind also that it has no horizontal mechanical stabilization, only vertical. Horizontal movement up to about 10 degrees can be handled well by the software. Anything more and it really needs to be done in post. An additional thing to perhaps take into account, and this came from a long time DJI engineer who I know, In almost all other DJI drones, when the battery says 15% left, there is generally another 8 to 10% "in the tank" when it gets to 0, for emergencies.

When the the FPV says 15%, it means what it says, 15%. In his words "There is nothing additional in the tank", no reserve. Apparently DJI traded off reserve power for maximising flight time towards that supposed 20 minutes. This is one reason why DJI have had so many FPVs with hard landing battery damage and failed batteries (again his words) as people think there is something in reserve, run them low and the motors just suck the remaining power out at an alarming rate, potentially causing early battery failure as the control board, which is jammed in tight behind the right hand rubber landing foot is prone to overheating and hard landing damage.

If the FPV is right for you go for it. I thoroughly enjoy flying mine in all modes. But just remember it has its quirks and is different in so many ways.

Reactions: slozukimc
That video was actually quite helpful to me. I have racing drones that will easily handle the wind but I want the gps and altitude hold and a better camera than my old Gopro. I really just want a video drone that handles high wind well. The fpv seems to do that and makes it where a novice like me can let go of the sticks and have it stop as well as hover in place for pics and video in very windy conditions. I understand that it is made for ripping around and going fast but that power can also be used for stabilization for folks like me.

Next question: How does the fpv camera compare to my M1X?

Thanks, Mike
>can let go of the sticks and have it stop as well as hover in place for pics and video in very windy conditions
That will be a very shaky video. Very unstable.

Forget the dji fpv. Bad camera, unstable in winds, even moderate.
You will get dissapointed. I bought the fpv for the same reason, very dissapointed, it's a great drone for some, not for you.

The fpv camera is not good. I similar to gopro4.

Get a mavic2 or 3

>can let go of the sticks and have it stop as well as hover in place for pics and video in very windy conditions
That will be a very shaky video. Very unstable.

Forget the dji fpv. Bad camera, unstable in winds, even moderate.
You will get dissapointed. I bought the fpv for the same reason, very dissapointed, it's a great drone for some, not for you.

The fpv camera is not good. I similar to gopro4.

Get a mavic2 or 3
In manual mode, you cant let go of the sticks, it will crash.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife