DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What Filter to use on your Mavic Mini & what ones to avoid!

Great video. Much appreciated as I have just ordered some cheap ones from China as it good to know how to use them.
I dont expect them to make me some amazing photog, especially with cheap ones. However knowing how to use them I am sure will help me produce better images and video.

Reactions: sli-woody
Perfect timing! Never used ND filters before and today I was looking into them (now that manual controls are available on the MM after the latest FW update).

Thank you, it all adds up now!

Perfect timing! Never used ND filters before and today I was looking into them (now that manual controls are available on the MM after the latest FW update).

Hopefully it helps u out, if you need any help or advice just message me.

Hopefully it helps u out, if you need any help or advice just message me.

Reactions: Xanadu
Some very good points, thanks for that!

I ordered the Tiffen kit due to usually have good experiences over my many years or video and photography with Tiffen. I bought the full kit with the polarizers so I can test with them.

What I have found using a polarizing filters is that while you do get the best results when they are set for each shot....they can offer some help with haze, etc, even when they're not 100% set up.

I'm anxious to test them when they arrive, and will gladly report to the group.

Good video, thanks for sharing! I would like to point out though that while a UV filter doesn't offer any difference in the exposure, it DOES offer scratch resistance/protection for the camera lens. I almost always put a UV filter on my DSLR lenses to protect the front element from bumps and scratches. Given how low to the ground a lot of drones like the MM air which can lead to dust, grit, grass, etc, hitting the lens of take off or landing, a UV filter when no other filter is needed for exposure or color compensation still seems like a good idea.

Lastly, with those circular filters did you notice any vignetting from the metal filter ring?

Some very good points, thanks for that!

I ordered the Tiffen kit due to usually have good experiences over my many years or video and photography with Tiffen. I bought the full kit with the polarizers so I can test with them.

What I have found using a polarizing filters is that while you do get the best results when they are set for each shot....they can offer some help with haze, etc, even when they're not 100% set up.

I'm anxious to test them when they arrive, and will gladly report to the group.

SKYREAT I believe are exactly the same make as TIFFEN here in UK. I can recommend them!
What normally happens with the PL filters is people put them on and it gives a little more contrast to the image and people think they are working.
It may remove 1- 2% of glare if you get really lucky, but buying dedicated Polarizing filters is pointless. Having them built into a ND filter dont hurt.
Let me know how you get on with your filters!

One question if using filters is highly recommended?

I don't have experience with shutter and ISO handling yet but I see that ND filters fix the problems of burned out lighting.

I have another question, is it difficult to put them on?

I'm very afraid to move the gymball while the drone is off because if I move it I'm afraid I'll damage the gymball by moving it

Another thing you could tell me is some Amazon link to buy it? since I don't know what brand is good for the Mini

One question if using filters is highly recommended?

I don't have experience with shutter and ISO handling yet but I see that ND filters fix the problems of burned out lighting.

I have another question, is it difficult to put them on?

I'm very afraid to move the gymball while the drone is off because if I move it I'm afraid I'll damage the gymball by moving it

Another thing you could tell me is some Amazon link to buy it? since I don't know what brand is good for the Mini

They are fiddly due to their size and require a steady hand.
The MAvic MIni comes with a great camera set in Auto mode, but if you want to get the best out of it, I would say a good ND filter set and Manual Mode is required.
As for recommendation on a good Filter set, I can recommend the SKYREAT set, FREEWELL also seem to be getting good reviews.
It might need some researching.

Reactions: Th3DroneroGT
Good video, thanks for sharing! I would like to point out though that while a UV filter doesn't offer any difference in the exposure, it DOES offer scratch resistance/protection for the camera lens. I almost always put a UV filter on my DSLR lenses to protect the front element from bumps and scratches. Given how low to the ground a lot of drones like the MM air which can lead to dust, grit, grass, etc, hitting the lens of take off or landing, a UV filter when no other filter is needed for exposure or color compensation still seems like a good idea.

Lastly, with those circular filters did you notice any vignetting from the metal filter ring?
Thing is, a UV filter is another bit of glass for light to pass through and degrade the image.

I did say in the video that UV filters are nothing more than screen protectors for your drones camera.
No Vignetting from the metal ring, the glass element is about double the size of the lens glass on the camera so you are really only using the centre of the filter.
If you goto 6:38 in the video you can see the still image with the ND filter on. Looks pretty good to me.

Thing is, a UV filter is another bit of glass for light to pass through and degrade the image.
Yeah, it's an age-old argument, possible minor image degradation vs protecting very expensive lenses from permanent scratches....

Thanks for sharing. I plan on subscribing once I figure out how to; it seems important to you tubers,and whilst I am grateful for content, have been hesitant to get absorbed by the google/gmail/ chrome borg. It’s probably too late- so when I do learn how to do it proper, I’ll be sure to subscribe.

I have a heck of a time gettingTefen ND plus Polz. On the bezel on my M2P. It’s the “Hasselblad” one. The connection is like a bayonet joint but we know that gimbal is fiddly and wobbly.Firm advice is to be firm but not too firm. Take a good close look with a mag glass to see what your up against. For $79 I got ND 4,6,and 8 combo with polarizer.

i wondered about the twist ring to set anti-glare angle. Was flying over a small stream (sans rubbish) that I had been practicing over, and upon viewing the rough video for the first time I used ND 6 think. Was very bright that day- I could see the rocks and stone through the reflection of the surface water. Very cool looking. I realize that backed into finding the useful angle by luck. It could be set via estimated viewing angle I suppose. The double the frame rate with shutter speed thank you for that tip.
RB

Ok guys...my Tiffen set arrived today. As sli-woody suggested..I'd they are very much the same as the Skyreats.

I slipped one on tonight and will try them in use tomorrow.

One question please, for those that have used these filters. I assume they are made in a way that keeps them from scratching the MM's lense? Meaning, it looks like they have a flange around the edge that I figure keeps them from directly resting on the MM lens itself?

Ok guys...my Tiffen set arrived today. As sli-woody suggested..I'd they are very much the same as the Skyreats.

I slipped one on tonight and will try them in use tomorrow.

One question please, for those that have used these filters. I assume they are made in a way that keeps them from scratching the MM's lense? Meaning, it looks like they have a flange around the edge that I figure keeps them from directly resting on the MM lens itself?

Yeah i was a bit worried about that with the SKYREAT filters (exactly the same as Tiffen). I have used them now for the last few weeks and have been checking the lens everyday. No scratches. But you would have thought they would have a small rubber grommet or something. Seems very strange to put the metal edge onto glass.

With my very short look at these....I'm assuming that the metal frame must contact around the very edge of the camera and not touch the glass. Going to work with these over the weekend.

With my very short look at these....I'm assuming that the metal frame must contact around the very edge of the camera and not touch the glass. Going to work with these over the weekend.

let me know your findings!

I find hard to believe the claims for useless polarizing filters, though I do have ordered one but not received it so I have not tested it yet. However I have been using them on my dslr for years and I also understand the physics of it

reflection-refraction-polarization.gif

You have to set the filter in the right angle before flying and this is always perpendicular to get the potentially maximum polarization effect . Yes the degree of polarization will differ depending on the angle of light rays hitting the ground and reflecting to your lens but no other filter setting would give you a better result anyways

Reactions: kjonyou and OBSALAM
I find hard to believe the claims for useless polarizing filters, though I do have ordered one but not received it so I have not tested it yet. However I have been using them on my dslr for years and I also understand the physics of it

reflection-refraction-polarization.gif

You have to set the filter in the right angle before flying and this is always perpendicular to get the potentially maximum polarization effect . Yes the degree of polarization will differ depending on the angle of light rays hitting the ground and reflecting to your lens but no other filter setting would give you a better result anyways

So you will be restricting your drone to that specific angle and position for the entire flight?
Remembering that a change in altitude will also have a bearing on the effectiveness of the filter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ