DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happened? Drifting problem occasionally on my Mavic 2 Pro

Rayphau

Reactions
I have this drifting problem occasionally on my Mavic 2 Pro, drifting a few meter to left or right, just the same direction, somehow signal interference or weak gps when landing between buildings.

If the area is dark then the downward looking sensor system (VPS) can not contribute to position holding and you are relying on GPS postion holding. GPS position holding it not as accurate as the VPS. see page 62 of the manual.
Could that be an answer to your circumstances.

Also, "between buildings" may reduce the number of satellites that are visible to the drone, if enough are masked, coupled with poor lighting, the drone could end up in ATTI mode with no automated position holding, so, be careful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this issue in open sky in broad daylight. It wasn’t terrible but it had not had that issue previously. I recalibrated the IMU and the issue disappeared.

Landing between buildings not only reduces the number of satellites tracked but more importantly, the effectiveness of the satellite data to determining drone position. 8 or 10 satellites picked up that are widely spread appart (as yd get in a wide open space) will most likely give you a good position hold but 8 to 10 satellites detected when your between buildings will probably be inadequate for a stable hover because the visible satellites will be closely bunched together, giving very little angular difference. GPS position is based on the angle between the différent satellites & drone ( determined by distance which in turn is determined by time for the signal to reach the drone).

Normally I have most sensors turned off, but one:
Enable Downward Vision Positioning
I have Enabled.

This gives the drone a more stable movement pattern, IMHO.

The visual sensor is only working up to about 20 or 30 ft. After that it has no affect.

Reactions: TTP
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots