DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What happened to the Spark 2? Did is get rebranded the Mavic Mini? Was the Mavic Mini intended to be

Reactions
What happened to the Spark 2 talk? There was all this talk of releasing a Spark 2, then the Mavic Mini hit the scene. Just my opinion, but it really seams more like a Spark 2 they upgraded by making it lighter, 3 axis gimbal and longer flight times. Thats really the only advantage I see? Just not enough improvement over the Spark to call it a Mavic IMO, it really seems more like a Spark 2

Tim:

The Mini was apparently released so DJI could cash in on the Xmas $$, albeit without some features they should have disclosed (like unlocking Geo Zones). This ‘error of omission’ has generated a great deal of ill will amongst the established drone community.

Hopefully DJI will make good on their statement that a firmware/software update is forthcoming to rectify this problem.

DJI made the statement earlier this year that all their new drones moving forward into 2020 would have ADSB receivers so the remote pilot could see commercial aircraft in flight...obviously this increases the cost and complexity of the system and the Mini doesn’t fit this model.

The Mini is a foldable, longer (amazing actually) flight time drone.
The Mini cannot handle fighting winds like the Spark and lacks some features we came to know and love about the rugged little Spark.

The Mini has no collision avoidance, gesture control or ability to operate it only over wifi from your mobile device (without a remote). The Spark is faster and in many ways more stable in flight...and easier to keep in sight.

There are other differences you’ll read about in these forums as well.

The Mini was obviously aimed at developing a new market of folks that just want a small drone for photos/videos...with a new app that requires way more processing power from your mobile device than anything previously seen (like requiring Android devices to be 64-bit).

There’s also the 249g weight issue...but add prop guards, a strobe or any accessories and it must be registered in the USA.

I doubt we’ll see a Spark 2, but one never knows. The internet is always full of ‘leaks’ from self-proclaimed insiders declaring the next wiz-bang drone on the horizon, but until I see FCC documents filed for new products I just ignore the noise.

All that being said I bought a Mini and it’s a fun bird, but no match for my Spark in certain applications.

I actually picked up a (used) second Spark, some batteries and remote recently as a backup bird.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman