DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

what is going on with 1. lights and 2. temporary dip in flight time?

Jackcutrone

Reactions
Problem? I am puzzled about two things.
1. After auto take-off, I started getting alternating red and green lights on the aircraft status indicator. I would get 6 short green flashes then two long red flashes. A quick internet search said that might be a false low battery warning due to low temperature. Ambient temp was 45F at time. Weighed whether or not to fly, but since battery showing full and 25 or so minute available flight time, 19 satellites and no interference so tried it but ran into problem #2 below and did a RTH.

2. In the flight, in 45F weather with lights winds, part way through the flight, the time remaining dropped within a few seconds by one-third from 23 minutes to about 15 minutes but then came back up within another few seconds. Since I did not know what caused this I initiated RTH and the MP did and landed safely.

Was unit in a crash? No.

What have you tried so far? Google search on lights, examine flight log and verbose download of flight log

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone 7s plus

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? latest

What Go app version are you using? DJI Go4

Any modification?
(if so what) no

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) no

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

problem 2 - temporary dip in flight time I uploaded a recording of the animated Go 4 playback on my iPhone to YouTube.

Here is link.

At about 3:55 into the flight per Go4 (slightly different time on the YouTube video) the remaining flight time starts to dip from about 23:56 minutes remaining to 15:53 minutes remaining at 4:02. Then it goes back up to 23:23 remaining by 4:11. Throughout that period of time, the battery level indicated 87% down to 86%. At that point, I hit RTH as I was leery of continuing the flight due to this anomaly. As far as flight conditions, the temperature was about 45 degree F and surface winds were 6-8 mph out of the northeast. I was flying at an RC field and it did not appear that the winds aloft were particularly strong or gusty from my RC plane flights before and after the MP flight. I considered that it was possible that the drop in remaining flight time could conceivably be caused by a strong wind causing more power to be expended by the motor, which the MP then factored into the calculation of remaining flight time, but I rejected it based on 1. my observations at the time, 2.because it is only at that one point where the dip occurred and 3. the magnitude of the dip - roughly one-third. I looked at the verbose version of the flight log but the only reference to winds are a couple of columns that refer to gales. I know that others are able to read the wind direction and speed from the flight log but I don't know how.

Problem?
1. After auto take-off, I started getting alternating red and green lights on the aircraft status indicator. I would get 6 short green flashes then two long red flashes. An quick internet search said that might be a false low battery warning due to low temperature. Ambient temp was 45F at time. Weighed whether or not to fly, battery showing full and 25 or so minute available flight time, 19 satellites, no warnings other than an altitude restriction, so tried it but ran into problem #see 2 below and did a RTH.
2. In 45F weather with lights winds, part way through the flight, the flight time remaining dropped by one-third from 23 minutes to about 15 minutes in a few seconds but then came back up within another few seconds. Since I did not know what caused this I initiated RTH and the MP did and landed safely.

If I had it to do over would not have chanced it.

Was unit in a crash? no

What have you tried so far? upload and examine flight log - did not see any problem.

As to number one, I had kept the battery warm before starting, at takeoff it was still 19.7C. Even though my internet search said it was likely a false low battery warning due to low temperature, that should not have occurred if the battery was still almost 20C and therefore I should not have been getting the two long red flashes alternating with 6 short greens in the aircraft status light.

As to number 2, the dip in available flight time, at the time the battery percentage stayed around 87% and the battery temp was at 22.3C at the time.

What device are you using? iPhone 7S Plus

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? newest

What Go app version are you using? newest version GO4

Any modification? its all a stock unit

Did you change anything or install any apps?

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? See youtube video above

Here is the uploaded flight log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

S0 my questions are
1. What was causing the two long red flashes?

2. What caused the dip in available flight time? Was this just an anomaly that I should ignore since it came back up again with a few seconds (don't lake that alternative) or is this something I need to do something about, and if so, what?

Appreciate any help.

Jack

1. I don't know what caused the two long red flashes.

2. I noticed that at the same time your battery time changed your distance increased rapidly. I don't know what would cause this but if your distance increases then your estimated battery time decreases. The strange thing is that your battery time then increased to the previous level but the distance did not change. It could have to do with Go 4 or your iPhone buffering data that was then quickly updated and Go 4 might have just misinterpreted the sudden change in data. Charge things back up and see if that battery repeats the performance. It may have been a one-time anomaly or a bad battery connection or the wrong phase of the moon or ...

Reactions: scumface
I looked at the animated flight replay again and did not see any drastic change in distance at the time the flight time went down and popped back up. Nor did I see such a change on the log. Not sure what you are referring to?

My mistake. The headings in your video are very light and I was reading the height value as distance. My argument is still valid because you were maintaining your forward motion while suddenly increasing your height. Go 4 takes height into account when estimating available battery life. When you stopped your motion away from home point then Go 4 updated it's estimate from that position. This looks normal to me.

My mistake. The headings in your video are very light and I was reading the height value as distance. My argument is still valid because you were maintaining your forward motion while suddenly increasing your height. Go 4 takes height into account when estimating available battery life. When you stopped your motion away from home point then Go 4 updated it's estimate from that position. This looks normal to me.

I hadn’t noticed that I was climbing at the time in my prior reviews of the animation. So I guess that does make sense. It was nevertheless disconcerting. Hadn’t ever noticed anything like that before when climbing but probably wasn’t looking at the time remaining when I did so. Will test it out next time I fly.

But that still leaves the question of the long red flashes if anyone else wants to weigh in.

I was going to point out the same as Mossiback did but tag on that a possible head-wind at higher elevations may have given you a temporary decreased flight time due to more power being used to maintain a constant forward speed.

#1 is most likely due to you flying in an altitude restricted zone as it states on the first line of the flight log.

"Your aircraft is flying in an Altitude Zone (120 m). Please fly with caution.; Your aircraft has entered a Warning Zone (Airport). Please fly with caution."

Look at the GEO ZONE MAP on the DJI web site to verify this.
Google dji geo zone map

FInd your location on the map to see if you are inside a restricted zone.

I know I was in an area which had a height restriction of 393 feet and I stayed below. And that was the first time I got that written notification on the screen. I assume that was because of the latest firmware update.

However I really would like to know for sure what is causing the two long red flashes. You may well be right. But it is not on the DJI website and I couldn’t find anything definitive. Thanks for responding

I had an online chat with DJI support. The guy I talked to searched his resources and could not find an explanation for the light pattern. I shared the suggestion that it might be because of the altitude restriction and referred me to their Flysafe support to ask them. I may repost the light question in a more general DJI forum here

I had an online chat with DJI support. The guy I talked to searched his resources and could not find an explanation for the light pattern. I shared the suggestion that it might be because of the altitude restriction and referred me to their Flysafe support to ask them. I may repost the light question in a more general DJI forum here
Good idea. Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11