DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What is the general concensus regarding mods to the gimbal cover

jarnie

Reactions
I have seen at least two videos on YouTube showing part of the gimbal cover (clip) being cut off so that it does not place 'undue pressure on the gimbal' (their words).

I too am concerned that it might be possible to damage the gimbal when reattaching the cover.

I am wondering if that clip is there to totally immobilise the gimbal when the cover is on to better protect it and by removing the 'clip' allows the gimbal to move with the cover on therefore it is better to leave it on.

What does everyone think?

Personally i think leave it, DJI have made it like that for a reason.
It's a snug fit to keep the Gimbal in place during transit etc.
I don't think it's hard to put on/off ......centre gimbal.....click on ......job done.
Just my own personal view

The only modification I have made to the gimbal cover is to drill a small hole in the side to attach a key chain so I don't forget/lose it! Anything else and you are assuming you know more than the guy that designed it (which is a bad assumption).

I have seen at least two videos on YouTube showing part of the gimbal cover (clip) being cut off so that it does not place 'undue pressure on the gimbal' (their words).

I too am concerned that it might be possible to damage the gimbal when reattaching the cover.

I am wondering if that clip is there to totally immobilise the gimbal when the cover is on to better protect it and by removing the 'clip' allows the gimbal to move with the cover on therefore it is better to leave it on.

What does everyone think?
I use one of the aftermarket ones that is cover and immobilizer combined on my Mavic Pro. I did cut down the two prongs on the inside because they were damaging the back plate every time I removed it. I really disliked Dji's two piece option.

Thanks. I agree that it totally immobilizers the gimbal. I will have to be extra careful when reattaching the gimbal.

Was it difficult to drill a hole in the gimbal (ethere aren't many areas of it which are not round) as I also would like to attach my 'remove before flight' tag?
remove before flight.jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
If you're looking for consensus, you came to the wrong place. But, I think they designed it that way for a reason.

If you're looking for consensus, you came to the wrong place.
You ARE correct. Maybe a better word would have been 'poll'. I guess I was looking to find good reasons for not modifying it.
Anyway everyone is of the same opinion that it is better to "leave well enough alone" - its there to completely immobolise the gimbal.
It's a bit concerning though to read threads here of people experiencing gimbal problems and wondering if they are the result of accidental damage to the gimbal during installation of the cover which was not noticed.

You ARE correct. Maybe a better word would have been 'poll'. I guess I was looking to find good reasons for not modifying it.
Anyway everyone is of the same opinion that it is better to "leave well enough alone" - its there to completely immobolise the gimbal.
It's a bit concerning though to read threads here of people experiencing gimbal problems and wondering if they are the result of accidental damage to the gimbal during installation of the cover which was not noticed.
I used to worry about the same thing, but I learned to take my time and make sure everything is lined up before putting it on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki