DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What would cause self yawing?

Amckim2084

Reactions
I was out flying the Mini yesterday and noticed that it was yawing to the left on its own. I was low to the ground going forward and followed it from behind. I could see it slowly turning to the left on its own. Never touched the yaw sticks when it was happening. Any reasons for this?

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Cliff1028
Controller sticks not calibrated or the stick mechansim is loose
I just did an IMU and controller calibration. A quick test through the house looked alright but I’ll head out tomorrow and see what happens.

If you can post the flight log file in which self yawing has occurred, may be the reason can be confirmed.

If you can post the flight log file in which self yawing has occurred, may be the reason can be confirmed.
Where exactly is that located again? Never had to pull logs before.

The yaw to the left was on its own and any yaw to the right was me correcting it.

OK, the stick problem theory mentioned in my post #4 can be ignored because the craft did not receive any rudder input when it yawed by itself. This has occurred 3 times during the flight. The magnitudes were 15 ~ 25 degrees.

1607060373959.png

More detailed data is needed to identify the reason. If you can post the .DAT flight log file in the phone, may be more insight can be obtained. The file is inside the subfolder MCDatFlightRecords of the folder containing the .TXT log file that you have uploaded to Phantom Help. Details are described here : How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

OK, the stick problem theory mentioned in my post #4 can be ignored because the craft did not receive any rudder input when it yawed by itself. This has occurred 3 times during the flight. The magnitudes were 15 ~ 25 degrees.

View attachment 118439

More detailed data is needed to identify the reason. If you can post the .DAT flight log file in the phone, may be more insight can be obtained. The file is inside the subfolder MCDatFlightRecords of the folder containing the .TXT log file that you have uploaded to Phantom Help. Details are described here : How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet
I found the DAT files but for some reason they are all dated for the 3rd and the flight was on the 2nd. I had no flights on the 3rd. The TXT file I uploaded is dated the 2nd at 3:22pm. There are 7 DAT files dated on the 3rd from 8:20pm to 8:38pm

I found the DAT files but for some reason they are all dated for the 3rd and the flight was on the 2nd. I had no flights on the 3rd. The TXT file I uploaded is dated the 2nd at 3:22pm. There are 7 DAT files dated on the 3rd from 8:20pm to 8:38pm
That's odd. May be you can post all the .DAT files if they are not too large.

That's odd. May be you can post all the .DAT files if they are not too large.
The only flight I had on the 3rd was one quick indoor test after calibrating the IMU and controller. I can see that TXT file and it says 8:36pm. So I’m assuming the DAT files are for the indoor flight. But I’m not too worried about it right now. I’ll be doing another outdoor test flight to see if the calibration fixed it. If not, I will look for the new DAT file for that flight and come back here.

I will mention though, I just thought of it, but I did 6 flights that day. The last flight had the yawing problem. Before that flight, I did do some fly through shots around playground equipment. Lots of metal. The last flight, I took off from a picnic table so there was metal directly under the wood tabletop. So if that was the cause of the problem, the IMU and a new compass calibration should be able to fix it right?

The behvior of the craft does not look like the result of the compass being affected by magnetic interference at all. Furthermore, magnetic interference affects the craft mostly when the craft is powering up, not when the craft is flying or taking off under the interference.

This was how my Mini ended after powering up next to the rebar buried in the balcony floor. Without any stick input, the craft accelerated by itself to a crazy speed and hit my balcony :

Last edited:
Reactions: _gonzales_
I was out flying the Mini yesterday and noticed that it was yawing to the left on its own. I was low to the ground going forward and followed it from behind. I could see it slowly turning to the left on its own. Never touched the yaw sticks when it was happening. Any reasons for this?
ill fitting or wrong props on the wrong motors?

My Mavic Air will sometimes start a slow yaw by itself. The controller is a new replacement from DJI. I sent it back and they returned it but it still does the yaw thing occasionally. I've just decided to live with it. If I give a quick flic right and left to the left stick it solves the problem. I also rotate the sticks and control wheel before powering up. That has eliminated the beeping for calibration that used to occur constantly.
As you can see below..this has come up quite a bit.

The only flight I had on the 3rd was one quick indoor test after calibrating the IMU and controller. I can see that TXT file and it says 8:36pm. So I’m assuming the DAT files are for the indoor flight. But I’m not too worried about it right now. I’ll be doing another outdoor test flight to see if the calibration fixed it. If not, I will look for the new DAT file for that flight and come back here.
DAT files apparently get deleted when you sync your logs to DJI.

If you haven't already, try a compass calibration. Sometimes the ACs might pick up a bit of residual magnetism, which calibration is supposed to account for and nullify.

In the M2, some had to use a degausser, particularly if stored near a strong magnetic field such as a speaker.

I did several more flights today and everything seems to be all right now. I did the IMU and controller calibration yesterday and today I did a compass calibration on site. Had to do some low straight flying for my shots and did not notice any yawing on its own.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007