DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What's going on here. Stable image, then unstable. Ideas?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I don't know what's causing the sudden jerkiness. Everything was perfect until a couple days ago. I have no idea what's causing this spontaneously. The gimbal doesn't have any external issues but suddenly the image becomes unstable as if it is in the FPV mode. I've done nothing and checked to make sure it is in the follow mode. I guess I'll start with calibrating the IMU. ANY IDEAS?

• Wow
Reactions: sir_ian
There is a column entitled "Gimbal.Mode", for me column (BU), in the csv of the flight logs.
I have only one flight log available on the computer and do not know if I had the gimbal in FPV or follow or both, but, in that log, the entries in the column read either YawNoFollow or YawFollow.
It might be worth processing the flight log with CsvView and looking at the drone roll angle and the gimbal roll angle. I assume you know how to do that.

I have not yet compared drone roll and gimbal roll so I do not know if the gimbal's roll is measured relative to the horizontal or the drone.

Last edited:
i had a similar issue with my MPP after some , two and a half years of perfect operation one day the camera tilted just like in your video ,i blew the gimbal motors out with an air puffer thinking there might be some debris stopping them moving smoothly and then the next time i flew the drone i flew 4 batteries through it ,and the tilting didnt happen till half way through the last battery ,this went on for a while sometimes no issues then another time on every flight ,and it reached the point where i was just going to fly the drone around without using the camera ,it was then that i heard that the flat ribbon cable that controls the gimbal motors, can after prolonged use develop micro breaks which cause the issue i was experiencing ,so i bit the bullet changed the ribbon cable, and since then the issue has not reappeared so far touch wood ,the drone will be 4 years old in November this year ,and still flies as well as it did when i first purchased it in 2018

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
i had a similar issue with my MPP after some , two and a half years of perfect operation one day the camera tilted just like in your video ,i blew the gimbal motors out with an air puffer thinking there might be some debris stopping them moving smoothly and then the next time i flew the drone i flew 4 batteries through it ,and the tilting didnt happen till half way through the last battery ,this went on for a while sometimes no issues then another time on every flight ,and it reached the point where i was just going to fly the drone around without using the camera ,it was then that i heard that the flat ribbon cable that controls the gimbal motors, can after prolonged use develop micro breaks which cause the issue i was experiencing ,so i bit the bullet changed the ribbon cable, and since then the issue has not reappeared so far touch wood ,the drone will be 4 years old in November this year ,and still flies as well as it did when i first purchased it in 2018

Cool. Where did you pick up the ribbon cable? Or (since I see you're in Wales and I'm not), is it a common enough cable with common connectors?

Thanks, Chris

@Not A Speck Of Cereal i actually got mine off E bay ,just typed in replacement MPP flat ribbon gimbal cable ,and there were quite a few examples that showed up ,it if my memory serves me cost about £8 pound odd including postage and came from someone in the south London area ,in a couple of days,be warned though it requires the drone to be opened up and quite a bit of fiddly work, because of the small parts and screws involved ,especially when disassembling the gimbal itself, and care is needed not to damage the fine camera lead that goes to the control board in the drone, and shares some of the route that the flat cable takes as well

That would happen on my M2 from time to time. I always found that somehow the software had put me in to FPV mode. Good luck with this. I love my M2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121