DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When you're deciding whether it's good enough weather to fly or not, do you look at wind speed or gust speed?

For example, average wind speed today is 4-5m/s, but gust speed is 10-12m/s

Would you go flying in this weather? (assuming mini drone)
It really depends on which drone you're flying. I stop flying my M2P at about 15MPH steady wind. Can't get good video anyway if it's bouncing around. I also don't fly too high because winds at higher elevations can be dramatically different than at low altitude

I use UAV forecast and check both. Usually check at 100 and 200 feet.
If it's kind of borderline for me I just fly out into the wind.
I've heard a lot of critisisms of UAV forecast but I find it's a pretty good guide for wind speeds.

Reactions: eva2000 and RobertR
Basically I look at the palm trees in my neighborhood to check if it's too windy.
Hope you have some 100+ ft palm trees because above them, there is a very different tale usually.

Hope you have some 100+ ft palm trees because above them, there is a very different tale usually.
No, usually there isn't.

Further, it's physically impossible to have sustained conditions of calm air at the ground and 30mph winds aloft.

Checking winds before leaving home is a good idea, to get a rough idea of what the situation is like generally in the geographic area. For site data, they're useless and a waste of time on-site.

Seriously, all you need on-site are your own natural sensors.

Last edited:
As a LEO, and my organization‘s drone coordinator, I am frequently asked about our ability to fly in a variety of wind conditions, in rare occasions to potentially rescue somebody or save a life.

In my experience, while you should take note of wind forecasts, terrain, buildings, and a number of other factors not considered in a forecast will affect the direction and speed of the wind you will encounter. The wind funnels through certain areas and is often higher than what is forecast. High terrain and buildings may diminish wind you encounter, particularly at lower attitudes.

I may have missed it, but when giving pilots advice on flying in windy conditions, I stress that if at all possible, they launch their flight so they will be flying into the wind to the target area (headwind), as opposed to flying with the wind (tailwind). If they encounter wind trouble at launch, or during the flight, they should be able to recover the drone if they are coming back to the HP with the wind.

while it is not always possible, particular along the shorelines of bodies of water, where possible I always try to fly into a headwind.

As can be seen in Airdata with a premium account, the winds usually get higher (sometimes much higher), the further you go up, but in a few cases, winds diminish above a certain height, but that is rare.

I also usually fly in the regular mode. If I get in wind trouble, the first thing I do is go to the sport mode and move to a lower altitude.

I don't like to fly with high winds because it just puts the battery, props and motors to stress... but if it has to be done, it has to be done.

Look at the gust speed, fly low, fly into the wind and never, ever fly with a strong tailwind unless you have 100+ hours of flight time.

So winds are what I have to deal with in my location on a regular basis. I am looking for an accurate Anemometer that is accurate. Any thoughts?

So winds are what I have to deal with in my location on a regular basis. I am looking for an accurate Anemometer that is accurate. Any thoughts?
That won't do much good. It can be calm from ground up to fifty feet then forty miles per hour with gusts higher for instance. It can also be gusty down low and calmer at altitude. UAV forecast can give you an idea, but the information is several minutes old or older. I watch the trees.

Reactions: ZippyDue
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_