DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where can I Fly?

Bigpoppa62

Reactions
I’m in New York but I travel in the states pretty often. I found out recently that one of the state parks that I’ve always flown my drone,you can no longer do so. I was up around Bear mountain state park yesterday and I asked the staff if I could fly my drone and they said it was prohibited. I try to go to the places that I’m going website but I can never find the rules about drone flying. How do I get current rules and regulations?

I share your frustration - it is very annoying to constantly have to check the rules, and then even after looking, to still not find out that you can't fly there until you actually arrive ! Some sites allow you to search them for the word 'drone', which will usually find you a rule that forbids them, but a lot still don't.

For that reason, you sometimes have to go one stage further and actually phone up the park service in the local area and speak to them to find out if it is allowed. Hopefully, if enough people continually do this they will get better about making it clear on their web sites !

You can also ask on forums like this - pilots in the local area can usually recommend places to fly.

Reactions: Bigpoppa62
I’m in New York but I travel in the states pretty often. I found out recently that one of the state parks that I’ve always flown my drone,you can no longer do so. I was up around Bear mountain state park yesterday and I asked the staff if I could fly my drone and they said it was prohibited. I try to go to the places that I’m going website but I can never find the rules about drone flying. How do I get current rules and regulations?

UAV Forecast

Insurance is required to fly in any NyS Park
It’s an online form on their website, not easy to find but it’s there

Call the Parks superintendent in Taughannock

Reactions: Bigpoppa62
I share your frustration - it is very annoying to constantly have to check the rules, and then even after looking, to still not find out that you can't fly there until you actually arrive ! Some sites allow you to search them for the word 'drone', which will usually find you a rule that forbids them, but a lot still don't.

For that reason, you sometimes have to go one stage further and actually phone up the park service in the local area and speak to them to find out if it is allowed. Hopefully, if enough people continually do this they will get better about making it clear on their web sites !

You can also ask on forums like this - pilots in the local area can usually recommend places to fly.
That will probably be the best thing to do if you can get through the automated messages. I wish that it would be on their websites as you suggested.

Insurance is required to fly in any NyS Park
It’s an online form on their website, not easy to find but it’s there

Call the Parks superintendent in Taughannock
Is there a link for mandatory insurance to fly in NYS parks? The uav forecast only states what’s around but it doesn’t prevent you from taking off. There were no signs at Bear Mountain state park stating that you couldn’t fly. The NYS park by me that he normally flew at now has a sign stating no drones.

Back on my soapbox.....

Yet another in the growing list of "drone bans". At least they are making some provision to let you fly there, which is a step in the right direction.

Now for my problems....

$2,000,000 dollar liability coverage. Let me say the again, TWO MILLION DOLLARS. What makes this interesting is that the State of NY requires the following insurance for a 4000 lb piece of metal that people often drive at speeds in excess of 100 mph, and drunk, within inches of other people, at night:

Liability insurance of $25,000 for bodily injury to one person
$50,000 for bodily injury to all persons
$10,000 for property damage in any one accident
Mandatory "no-fault" coverage of $50,000 is also required

So my Mavic Pro represents a potential $2,000,000 danger and my car is only a $60,000 hazard. In the next 7 days, which will cause more damage in the US, 200,000 cars or 200,000 drones?

Of course, you can show proof of membership in the AMA for recreational use to cover your insurance requirements, which to me is like saying that you have to join the AAA to drive on the roads.

In addition there are fees listed, although I can't find out what the fee is, AND you have to submit the application 10 days in advance WITH The State of NY listed as coinsured on your proof of insurance paperwork.

Here's a sane approach:

When you enter the park, you pay a fee of less than $25 to receive a "drone permit" for up to a week for the use of any drone weighing less than 3 pounds. (Like paying an entrance fee.) The State of NY would then apply part of that fee to a blanket liability policy that would protect them in the event of a problem.

The majority of the rules listed on the permit form were reasonable and prudent, but a 10 day wait and proof of excessive liability insurance is out of line and unnecessary.

Peter T.

and another thing......

You can fly your Cessna over NY state parks (or any place else in NY for that matter) with $0, that's right, $0 required liability insurance. Pilot/plane liability insurance is NOT required by either the State of NY or the FAA.

It's interesting to note if you choose to carry liability insurance for your plane, $1,000,000 coverage is between $200 and $500 annually (according to the GAO). The last quote I got for my Mavic Pro was a minimum of $750 annually for liability insurance.

The majority of the rules listed on the permit form were reasonable and prudent, but a 10 day wait and proof of excessive liability insurance is out of line and unnecessary.

I remember a few years back my Boss would say to me...
Good guys finish last

So I fly from outside the parks now
87BBA1B4-649D-41DC-BA35-5081C6903AD6.jpeg

Reactions: Mrmund
Scary... soon your drone is a paper weight with these laws. Easier to own a gun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3