DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which MicroSD card?

Skytex83

Reactions
Thought I'd gotten a good card, and it is, but I'd like something that can copy files to my pc faster. Currently I'm getting 35mbps from my card. It takes quite a while to transfer files when all I shoot tends to be 4k video. What card is reccomended? Flying a M2Z.

Are you connecting your mavic to your computer via cable or are you removing the card and putting it in either directly in the computer or a USB reader? My experience is that the cable connection is generally slower. I like the SanDisk Evo but the Sandisk Extreme has better read speeds.

Just look for that 'U3' logo on the card ... That's the sign that it has the highest sustained write speed and it's recommended for HD video formats. If you can't write to the card fast enough, there aint' no way you are going to get good video reproduction when you play it!!!
ScanDisk-Extreme-Pro-microSD-press.jpg

Reactions: ff22 and dirkclod
I always use a card reader

SkyTex: 35mb/s IS slow for a read speed (assumming you didn't mean megaBYTES,) but I'm wondering if it's the card or the card reader? Is the reader USB3? That said, even a class 10 card over USB2 should still give you 10mB/sec which is more than twice as fast as you're getting.

Thought I'd gotten a good card, and it is, but I'd like something that can copy files to my pc faster. Currently I'm getting 35mbps from my card. It takes quite a while to transfer files when all I shoot tends to be 4k video. What card is reccomended? Flying a M2Z.
You need to have a look at the USB ports on your PC or Mac. USB 2.0 has a 480Mbps [approx 30 MBps] data transfer max rate, while USB 3.0 has a data transfer rate of up to 5Gbps. USB 3.0 connectors can easily be identified, as they have a blue tongue in the middle of the connector. If you want the fastest data transfer - from the card to the PC - that the card will handle, then you should get a USB 3.0 SD card reader, and use that in a USB 3.0 port off your PC. If your PC doesn't have USB 3.0 ports, you can get PCIe expansion cards to put a set in.
SD_reader.jpg PCIe_USB.jpg

Just looking at more info about SD cards ... There is another rating on the cards that is significant if you are interested in the 'read' speed i.e. how fast you can get the data off the SD card onto your PC. In addition to the U3 symbol, the cards will also be marked with an XC and a roman numeral I, II, or III after it ... While the 'UHS Speed Class' U3 symbol denotes the minimum sustained write speed (with U3 being the fastest), the 'UHS Bus Speed' XC rating denotes the theoretical max. read/write speeds - with III being fastest.

Based on this, an XC II card would download to your PC faster than an XC I rated card.

UHS_speeds_large.png

Reactions: ff22

I ordered one from Amazon but ran into an issue with the packaging.

The listing claims 4K-UHD, but the package had stickers that said "FHD" covering up the 4K-UHD text.

It also had a sticker that said "Made in Korea" covering up the "Made in Phillippines" text.

Contacted Samsung and they said the stickers were unusual and highly suspect.

Then I contacted Amazon and they sent me a replacement, but it too had the same stickers (except for the made in Korea one)

Contacted Amazon once more and they gave me a refund, then said to keep the cards.

I have yet to actually open them up for testing, but have anyone else here run into this?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000