DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which tablet

Myth buster here.
Its not what device you are flying its the software, (dji fly or dji go). On Android DJI fly requires not just a 64 bit architecture, (generally stated on the box but ALSO 64 bit Android, (generally not stated on the box). The Samsung Tab A 10" SM-T510Z... Octa core, Android 9 is a 64 bit architecture but only 32 bit Android and will NOT run DJI Fly.
Conversly the Samsung Tab A 8 SM T-290 with 2 GB ram and Quad Core, Ships with Android 9 and immediately updates to 10 is both 64 bit Architecture and 64 bit Android. Recently it sold for $183 Cdn at Costco. I have 2 and they work great. You have to download the apk from DJI to the tablet and install. It is not listed on Play Store.

Also note that the compatible devices list on this board that starts with a huge list of Apple devices and claims to be up to date based on Board Members input does not include the above 8" Samsung.

Just gonna add a dumb question here - a lot of tablets don't have a 'data SIM' slot - can you still operate the drone as normal using a tablet that doesn't get cellular data etc?
Will you still get the same amount of transmission/signal bars as a mobile phone that does have a SIM inserted?

If so, I'll likely look at buying a tablet too, as when I'm flying I often get phone calls / notifications, which is never ideal.

I have always used Android. For me the Huawei MediaPad M3 with 4Gb Ram & The High Resolution Screen of 2560 x 1600 is hard
to beat. And can now be bought at a good price.
Looks great on the MA 2 controller with it's 8.4 inch screen and no need for the longer cable.
If you want to spend some more money there is the M4 M5 & the new M6

Huawei MediaPad M3
Huawei MediaPad M3

Attachments

• MA2.jpg
    MA2.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Just gonna add a dumb question here - a lot of tablets don't have a 'data SIM' slot - can you still operate the drone as normal using a tablet that doesn't get cellular data etc?
Will you still get the same amount of transmission/signal bars as a mobile phone that does have a SIM inserted?

If so, I'll likely look at buying a tablet too, as when I'm flying I often get phone calls / notifications, which is never ideal.
Yes and in fact using a discrete device for phone calls is likely the better idea. I also use airplane mode and turn off wifi, bluetooth etc when using my tab a to fly.

Yes and in fact using a discrete device for phone calls is likely the better idea. I also use airplane mode and turn off wifi, bluetooth etc when using my tab a to fly.
Can you download maps via WiFi before you head of out ? For myself I used my phone as a WiFi hotspot for my tablet before

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Careful what you get, because very few Android based tablets work at the moment. I was frustrated to find my new tab, I bought specifically for flying, is not compatible :(

google "Best Tablets for DJI Fly"

or here is link

Best Tablets for DJI Fly
Really!! And your evidence is??
I repeat, the list of "Best Tablet..." seems exceedingly biased towards APL devices and is completely inaccurate as to the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8 SM-T290. In this regard this list has been out of date for 7 months.
Disclaimer: Although I own various Android & Windows devices I have no other interest in them. I just want what is good and inexpensive. APL certainly does not fit the latter category.

Really!! And your evidence is??
I repeat, the list of "Best Tablet..." seems exceedingly biased towards APL devices and is completely inaccurate as to the Samsung Galaxy Tab AZ 8 SM-T290. In this regard this list has been out of date for 7 months.
Disclaimer: Although I own various Android & Windows devices I have no other interest in them. I just want what is good and inexpensive. APL certainly does not fit the latter category.
What is APL?

I believe the iPad mini 4 works but you will get a cpu load warning, so this probably means that the cpu is JUST adequate enough. If you can splurge more, the iPad mini 5 is definitely the way to go. It seems DJI has favored working with iOS than Android. Also keep in mind, Apple supports their devices WAYYY longer than any of the android tablets you’ll find.
As a response to this forum, I purchased a used Ipad Mini 4 128GB cellular model for my Mavic Pro last year. It worked flawlessly using the DJI 4 Go app. I have since upgraded to the Mavic 2 Pro and still use the Ipad Mini 4 without any problems to date. Never did activate or use a SIM card. The word I had about having a cellular model, activated or not, was that it was optimal for drone flying due to improved GPS capability. Whether or not this is true, I do not know. Until I see error messages due to lack of processor power, I shall continue to use the Ipad Mini 4. Very pleased with it's performance. I did note a warning message during last flight, that my Sandisk 64GB card is too slow. I immediately ordered a newer, larger, faster Sandisk sdcard. Should have it shortly.

I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (around $140.00) recommended by another member and it works great.
I don't understand, I've heard some people say that DJI Fly won't work with 32bit...has to be 64 bit...it looks like that tablet is 32 bit?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty