DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who/How/Why -- do you trust non-DJI automation apps? (Litchi, DroneLink, DroneDeploy, etc...)

I would like to thank DroneLink for being willing to demonstrate their mission planning capability by importing a new type of drone flight path - a log-spiral curved flight path intended to produce a more dramatic video entry sequence of waypoints. DroneLink specified the launch point; and I chose the target point - two points are required to construct the log-spiral flight path waypoints file (csv and/or kmz file). A characteristic of each log-spiral curved flight path is a constant tangent angle which is maintained throughout the entire length of the trajectory segment - that is the camera yaw angle remains constant throughout the flight path and is pointed toward the target. At the end of the video entry sequence, other DroneLink features could be added - POI or orbit. I appreciate DroneLink's time and consideration.

Attachments

• DroneLink Imported Curved Flight Path.jpg
    DroneLink Imported Curved Flight Path.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DroneLink Demo Flight Trajectory 113020.jpg
    DroneLink Demo Flight Trajectory 113020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Have you thought of asking DJI?

I have an M2P with DJI Refresh and prefer Litchi to DJI Go4. I emailed DJI asking them if Refresh covers a crash if I were using Litchi. Their answer is Yes. That's what I needed for peace of mind.
Interesting. I do a fair amount of Waypoint Missions using Litchi, so much in fact DJI Go 4 seems a bit foreign to me. I got DJI on the phone one day and asked the same question. The Rep that I talked to was very skilled in NOT answering my question. no matter how many different ways I posed the question. Having said that, I continue to be happy and confident in using Litchi. I also know there are ways I can screw up by not planning ahead. It's also amazing how fast a tree can "Leaf out" in the Spring time. I once flew a mission where my planning discovered a lot of wires. When I flew the Mission, there were a lot more wires than I had previously discovered. Knock on wood, I have not had any serious mishaps with my M2Z. Litchi has been great. With Reward comes risk. :cool:

Reactions: lowellton
I would like to thank DroneLink for being willing to demonstrate their mission planning capability by importing a new type of drone flight path - a log-spiral curved flight path intended to produce a more dramatic video entry sequence of waypoints. DroneLink specified the launch point; and I chose the target point - two points are required to construct the log-spiral flight path waypoints file (csv and/or kmz file). A characteristic of each log-spiral curved flight path is a constant tangent angle which is maintained throughout the entire length of the trajectory segment - that is the camera yaw angle remains constant throughout the flight path and is pointed toward the target. At the end of the video entry sequence, other DroneLink features could be added - POI or orbit. I appreciate DroneLink's time and consideration.
Sorry but you lost me on what is so special about the constant tangent angle. Maybe a flight video would demonstrate it's advantage.

3rd party apps is in my opinion DJI strongest selling point.
It's the most fun programming I ever done, I would never buy a drone without it.

As long as you enable the sensors and enable smart rth, you pretty safe.

Doing something like this:

or this

would be impossible without 3rd party apps.

Sorry but you lost me on what is so special about the constant tangent angle. Maybe a flight video would demonstrate it's advantage.
Think of the flight trajectory’s constant tangent angle as a constant camera yaw angle used to keep the target in camera view (without the need for adjustment) even as the drone flies the curved path. Each of the log-spiral flight trajectories has its own characteristic constant tangent angle reflecting the eccentricity of the curved flight path. It’s great for more dramatic video.

Think of the flight trajectory’s constant tangent angle as a constant camera yaw angle used to keep the target in camera view (without the need for adjustment) even as the drone flies the curved path. Each of the log-spiral flight trajectories has its own characteristic constant tangent angle reflecting the eccentricity of the curved flight path. It’s great for more dramatic video.
I would have to see a video to "get it"!

3rd party apps is in my opinion DJI strongest selling point.
It's the most fun programming I ever done, I would never buy a drone without it.

As long as you enable the sensors and enable smart rth, you pretty safe.

Doing something like this:

or this

would be impossible without 3rd party apps.
The sensors on current DJI birds will not keep you from hitting obstacles. They do not cover the sides well and the drone is not always facing the direction of travel. Proper setup of the missions is the only way to insure avoiding obstacles.

The sensors on current DJI birds will not keep you from hitting obstacles. They do not cover the sides well and the drone is not always facing the direction of travel. Proper setup of the missions is the only way to insure avoiding obstacles.
It's just that the drone flies forward but turns to keep the camera facing the target as the drone gets closer.
Like a POI flight but the drone is flying past the target instead of around it.

Yes that's correct, but sometimes when developing apps unforseen bugs can happen. Even if run in the simulator.
Since I switched to python scipting I got less bugs, but the sensors have saved me a couple of times, I have to admit that.

When it comes to following a moving gps-tracker it's not always easy to plan how it moves, I been using some simple virtual fence and simulators, but it's very hard to simulate real world exactly. GPS drifting for example, not that easy to plan. It got much better since I started with a dual frequence gps, but there still times it's behaivor is unpredictable. Since I send the gps updates over 4G you also have some random latency with can be a problem if the tracker suddenly stops, with the drone close the tracker.

So I recommend having the sensors on as long as they don't interfear with what you doing.

Last edited:
If you have a camera gimbal that only allows for pitch control then you must rotate the drone heading to cover a POI. - effectively losing the object detection capability.

If you have a camera gimbal that allows you to control the camera pitch and yaw angle also, then rotate (yaw) the camera to the constant tangent (camera) angle of the log-spiral curved flight trajectory; and the target will remain pointed at your target point (POI) while allowing the drone to fly straight (forward) throughout the curved flight path - allowing the object detection feature to remain effective. Only two points are required to define the log-spiral curved flight path - the start point and the target point; and the constant tangent (camera) angle defines the log-spiral curved flight path's eccentricity.

Use a 35 degree log-spiral trajectory for an effective, dramatic video entry shot. The range of tangent angles can vary from 0 degrees to 90 degrees.

Attachments

• DroneLink Demo Flight Trajectory 113020.jpg
    DroneLink Demo Flight Trajectory 113020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • Log-Spiral Constant Tangent Angle Illustration-LINE 102020.jpg
    Log-Spiral Constant Tangent Angle Illustration-LINE 102020.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 10
I started using Litchi with my Spark, as the idea of pre-programmed flights with the camera really appealed. Plus you could do the work on Google earth on your PC was a no brainer. I started with a few small runs to test it, and got braver as time went on. It never failed me, so I trust it.

Then I got a Mavic 2 Zoom, and that came with waypoints 2. I've tried to like it, but it's so far behind Litchi I simply don't use it.

I guess the trust was built up slowly with a fair few tests. I really love checking the flight path, obstacles and camera angles on Google earth as it saves a lot of time and battery on location.

If you have a camera gimbal that only allows for pitch control then you must rotate the drone heading to cover a POI. - effectively losing the object detection capability.

If you have a camera gimbal that allows you to control the camera pitch and yaw angle also, then rotate (yaw) the camera to the constant tangent (camera) angle of the log-spiral curved flight trajectory; and the target will remain pointed at your target point (POI) while allowing the drone to fly straight (forward) throughout the curved flight path - allowing the object detection feature to remain effective. Only two points are required to define the log-spiral curved flight path - the start point and the target point; and the constant tangent (camera) angle defines the log-spiral curved flight path's eccentricity.

Use a 35 degree log-spiral trajectory for an effective, dramatic video entry shot. The range of tangent angles can vary from 0 degrees to 90 degrees.
Can you upload a video from the flight?
I would like to see how it looks :)

Thanks

As a fairly new Mavic Air pilot I've been primarily using the DJI Go app for basic flying. When I needed to look for waypoint flying I found Litchi.

Now there is DroneLink that just came out as well. DroneLink looks really good and offers a lot more than Litchi BUT and this is a big BUT.. how do you put your trust in an automation app to not fly away with your drone or crash it?

If you're using the DJI app and it crashes your drone and the logs show it did I'm sure DJI will replace your drone. What happens if these third party apps do the same thing? How much do they stand behind their products?

How as a drone pilot do you yourself trust an app or do y'all have money to burn in replacing drones? Every time I fly a mission with Litchi I cross my fingers it comes back.

Curious because I've been seeing DroneLink out there and went to their web site. Like I said lots of great features. When I went to get the app though it's not available on Google Play yet because of an issue and you have to download the APK directly. It's version 1.01!!!! As a non-Part 107 pilot I can't afford to have my drone disappear into the wild blue yonder.

At what point do you take the plunge and at what point do you simply not trust the company producing the app?
DroneDeploy You can Definitely Trust...they are a First Class Operation...I just completed 20 hours of “Ground School“ to get Certified to use their Mapping Platform, the best out there!

When I upgraded to a Phantom 3 pro in 2015 I was looking for a waypoint app and came upon Autopilot. It took me a while to learn the program because it was a very full featured app at the time. The first time I hit the launch button and the Phantom took off it was a rush ill never forget...i have never had an issue with Autopilot or Litchi .I was able to fly one mission with Dronelink this past Monday on the Mavic Air 2 and it worked great. Only issue was I didn't insert a camera trigger to begin recording.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa