DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Who was/is the targeted consumer for the Mini3 Pro?

Siam

Reactions
I understand all of the negatives people give to the Mini 3 Pro but lots of these come from (IMO) very inexperienced drone pilots that did not understand the expectations of the drone or from very experienced drone pilots that seem to have expected more from this little machine.

Myself, I bought the Mini 3 Pro because of the weight and size. I have been flying drones and RC planes/helis for 30 years. I did not expect much more than the specs that were listed.

I like that it is small enough that I can fit in a small running vest and go off for hours on 30-mile runs and stop, take it out, and do some quick footage.

I have never expected this little drone to be able to do the same quality footage in high winds as a more expensive or heavier drone.

Just my random thoughts for the morning.

I believe the main goal for DJI was to make a drone less than 250g, but at the same time have as good image and video quality as possible, and give it the features that most non-professional consumers want, I think they did a good job, once they sorted out the initial bugs.
It is not a drone for professional users, and I think it is unfortunate they named it "pro". Some may get too high expectations. But there will always be people complaining that a drone priced at $1000 does not have the same features or quality as one at $2000.

@Siam ,unfortunately the price of a drone, produced since the world went into a global crisis , with Covid, and all the other unprecedented events going on around the world, all these things have impacted on availability and costs ,of components and manufacture ,of many many products ,drones just being one of them.
there fore trying to compare the Mini 3 pro to anything that came before price wise ,is not a realistic comparison,
but if you compare the abilities that the Mini 3 pro has ,for its weight and compact size ,then it is light years ahead of previous sub 250g drones, and indeed many of those purporting to be competition ,in the sub 250g sector.
combined with the new DJI RC controller ,it is a perfect travel drone ,and its ease of transport and quick set up time ,also enhance its popularity, in the sub 250g sector
no matter what a company produces ,in the way of a product ,in the evolving world of drones ,it will always be the case that, you can please some of the people ,all of the time
all of the people ,some of the time
but not all of the people ,all of the time.

@Siam ,unfortunately the price of a drone, produced since the world went into a global crisis , with Covid, and all the other unprecedented events going on around the world, all these things have impacted on availability and costs ,of components and manufacture ,of many many products ,drones just being one of them.
there fore trying to compare the Mini 3 pro to anything that came before price wise ,is not a realistic comparison,
but if you compare the abilities that the Mini 3 pro has ,for its weight and compact size ,then it is light years ahead of previous sub 250g drones, and indeed many of those purporting to be competition ,in the sub 250g sector.
combined with the new DJI RC controller ,it is a perfect travel drone ,and its ease of transport and quick set up time ,also enhance its popularity, in the sub 250g sector
no matter what a company produces ,in the way of a product ,in the evolving world of drones ,it will always be the case that, you can please some of the people ,all of the time
all of the people ,some of the time
but not all of the people ,all of the time.
That was a very lengthy and articulate post you made that is better than the one I did LOL...Same message though.!

It is like the CAD forums I go to. People buy a 300 dollar 3d Printer or laser or CNC machine and they expect it to make a 350 chevy engine with it LOL

Ignoring price considerations my view would be it targets two types of customer.
Firstly those for whom 250g is a demarcation between significant rule changes, with 250g+ drones being subject to greater restrictions etc..
Secondly, those seeking a lightweight 'package' with a small 'packed-away' size, for reasons of portability.
For the latter I personally prefer the style of controller of the Mavic Mini or better yet the M2P but I have to admit the bigger RC231 of the Mini 2 has, for me, a nicer 'feel' when in use.
I maybe odd but I prefer the idea of a separate screen device i.e. a phone, so if I where to get a mini 2 I would go for one with an RC 231 controller rather than the DJI RC.
There is, for me at least, one other attractive feature, the vertical mode camera, it would save wasting an awful lot of 'picture space' when shooting a tall, narrow object.

Last edited:
I enjoy mine and now am very happy the Mav3 can use the RC controller from my Mini3. I'm taking a drone trip to Arizona and hooked up my Mini 3 RC controller to my Mavic 3 for the convenience of being able to "just fly" without connecting my phone or whatever. I'm also taking my Avata and hooked up my FPV controller to that. Super happy DJI has implemented some of their controllers to allow use with other drones.

Reactions: YVRGUY and Siam
You lost me at “30 mile run”! LOL

Reactions: Siam
You lost me at “30 mile run”! LOL
It is only the first 28 miles that are hard LOL. I am doing an Ultra Marathon in Jan (100 km/62 miles) I have done several 50 milers.

Seriously, the training runs are so nice to do. Just kick back go out for a few hours. Walk, run, go over boulders. And tons of things to video if you bring a drone or Go Pro with ya! THat was the main reason I wanted the Mini. I already have another DJI drone.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King