DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Why do I need to be connected to the internet?

Aatos

Reactions
I would like to use my old phone with my mini. It has WiFi and the DJI app loaded. I would have to pay another $95 per month to have it in use as a phone. The manual says I have to be connected to the internet. Does anyone know why?

I would like to use my old phone with my mini. It has WiFi and the DJI app loaded. I would have to pay another $95 per month to have it in use as a phone. The manual says I have to be connected to the internet. Does anyone know why?
Is the app logged into your DJI account? Once logged in you should be able to fly without WiFi and connect to your aircraft.

Reactions: ATW and Thomas B
To connect to DJI and load maps? I also use an old phone (no cellular connection) to fly, I just connect old phone used for AC to my personal phone's hotspot.

Reactions: ATW
Is the app logged into your DJI account? Once logged in you should be able to fly without WiFi and connect to your aircraft.
I have Wifi on the phone. I don't have a connection to the internet, so not logged into the DJI account.

I use my old phone, Samsung S8Plus, no data or wifi connection, works great!

Just find a place that has free WiFi, download/install the app, setup and log into your DJI account. Do not log out of your DJI account in the app. Once that is done you do not need an internet connection to use the app.

@spudster is correct. Just as he mentioned, you will need a temporary internet connection to login to the app. Once logged in, you will no longer need the connection unless you need to load maps.

Just find a place that has free WiFi, download/install the app, setup and log into your DJI account. Do not log out of your DJI account in the app. Once that is done you do not need an internet connection to use the app.
Thanks. I'll try that. I have WiFi at the house.

I have Wifi on the phone. I don't have a connection to the internet, so not logged into the DJI account.
If you have Wi-Fi capability - then connect it to your home network for downloading updates, firmware, etc from DJI. You DO NOT need to connect to Internet while flying. Without connection to the Internet via your home Wi-Fi - how did you get the FlyApp? My tablet for my Air2 does not have Internet capability, but I do updates and such on my home connection to make sure I'm up to date on critical things. No issues flying in remote spots where even if I did have a hotspot / etc to connect - it would not connect anyway - as no service.

If you have Wi-Fi capability - then connect it to your home network for downloading updates, firmware, etc from DJI. You DO NOT need to connect to Internet while flying. Without connection to the Internet via your home Wi-Fi - how did you get the FlyApp? My tablet for my Air2 does not have Internet capability, but I do updates and such on my home connection to make sure I'm up to date on critical things. No issues flying in remote spots where even if I did have a hotspot / etc to connect - it would not connect anyway - as no service.
I haven't had the chance to fly without internet connection before (i.e. remote locations). Just curious, what does the map look like when the phone is not connected to the internet? Do you have to download offline maps of the area before heading to the area where there is no service?

Reactions: tlswift58
I haven't had the chance to fly without internet connection before (i.e. remote locations). Just curious, what does the map look like when the phone is not connected to the internet? Do you have to download offline maps of the area before heading to the area where there is no service?
I don't personally use maps once I'm out somewhere. Never used them before - so don't know of their real use. I also do not fly 2-5 miles away from my take-off spot either and I typically know my terrain / area that I am flying beforehand. Other folks here that do long range missions may use them and have experience that I don't. Kind of like the compass feature - never knew it existed prior to someone mentioning it here - so never missed it. If and when I lose orientation to my drone and it does happen flying around a lot of tree / obstacles - if I need to know where the drone is in relation to me - I pop up the RTH map in lower left corner of screen and it shows me how to track back to me / RTH location (can be different so be aware) and fly it back to within view again. Then I'm flying sight and use camera as well.

For apps like Kittyhawk / etc. I do my planning again at home with Wi-Fi and not slow phone speeds if available - so I know beforehand any restrictions / NFZ's in that area as you can enter the address or area your flying it. To me KittyHawk is way too slow on 3-4G or less phone speeds, as I don't have 5G if was even available in my area - which it is not.

I'm sure there is a way to save info in those apps, but I don't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear