DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wind Warnings

JY-tek

Reactions
Just wondering about these high wind warnings. I live in WNC mountains and we tend to get a lot of wind, especially up high. I get the orange high wind warning quite often and a couple of times got the red warning that said to land ASAP. Just wondering how much wind the Mavic Pro can take before going unstable or not get home? I'm sure 30mph winds would be difficult for the machine to navigate for any distance, but that's based on the drones high speed. So how to know when "high" wind is too high???

Just wondering about these high wind warnings. I live in WNC mountains and we tend to get a lot of wind, especially up high. I get the orange high wind warning quite often and a couple of times got the red warning that said to land ASAP. Just wondering how much wind the Mavic Pro can take before going unstable or not get home? I'm sure 30mph winds would be difficult for the machine to navigate for any distance, but that's based on the drones high speed. So how to know when "high" wind is too high???
Use the UAV Forecast app to see conditions before flying. When you see your video jump from a gust, the drone tilting or almost flipping, and the red warning, it is time to get lower and adher to the alert. Even on a seemingly calm day there could be strong winds up high. In mountains the winds are affected differently than on a plain and can come and go quickly around bends and turns between passes. You can also lose control easily if the drone is blown around a bend as the radio signals can't pass thru rock.

IMO it's which way that wind is blowing. I have had mine up in 20MPH winds or more with no issues on stability. However you really need to make sure you are flying back with the wind in situations where you have such strong wind as the Mavic will have a fight on it's hands. Also you can always drop 100 to 150 feet down as most times the wind is stronger the higher you are up, at least from my experiences.

Paul C

How reliable is UAV Forecast?
It claims 13mph winds at a park off the gulf in west-central Florida but seemed more like at least 22.

Dont fly if the wind is faster than the Mavic can fly.
Before you know it your 1000' down wind with 50% battery, and fighting the wind back ends in critical battery landing. This is the reason MANY,MANY drones have been lost.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair