DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

wind

Generative AI responds with:

The DJI Mavic Air 2 has a maximum wind resistance of 8.5–10.5 m/s. It has a wind resistance level of 5 and a maximum wind speed of 19–24 mph (29–38 kph).

DJI recommends not flying the Mavic Air 2 when wind speeds exceed 10 m/s or 22 mph. Some say they don't fly in sustained winds over 20 mph. Gusting winds can be much higher than sustained winds.

From the DJI specs page on the web:
Screenshot 2023-11-22 092045.jpg

What is level 5 wind resistance? DJI doesn't define wind resistance.

What is wind speed resistance? Holding in position against the wind? So the drone can fly at 19 m/s through still air, but can't hold it's position over the ground in air moving faster that 10.7 m/s?

Reactions: Torque and Meta4
Wind gusts is what can really do you in.

My app reading was 14mph but there were gusts in my area. Drone was struggling like a fish out of water.

Reactions: Torque
Wind gusts is what can really do you in.

My app reading was 14mph but there were gusts in my area. Drone was struggling like a fish out of water.
Don't put too much faith in the wind forecasts and observations provided by apps. They're for a weather station that may be miles away from your location. The instruments are typically in areas with few wind obstructions.

Apps and weather forecasts are good for understanding the overall weather situation and for planning. But, the best information on wind at your location is what you can observe yourself.

Reactions: Glenh and Cafguy
Use the artificial horizon in the map section of the app to get a 'feel' for how much tilt it shows at maximum speed in each flight mode on a windless day.
When out 'flying for real' either
a) compare the tilt and speed with your recollection of the tilt at maximum speed on that windless day or
b) have the drone hover at height and check the indicated tilt ....... remember wind can change direction and speed and tends to increase with height.

what wind speed is safe to fly my mavic air 2??
There's no simple answer for your question.
It's going to depend on how far you intend flying and what direction relative to the wind.
If you are concerned about the wind speed and how it will affect your drone, don't fly off with the wind behind your drone.
That would ensure the drone has a headwind to fight against coming back.

If flying in strong winds, try flying off into the wind and you'll have an easy flight back with a tailwind.

Generative AI responds with:

The DJI Mavic Air 2 has a maximum wind resistance of 8.5–10.5 m/s. It has a wind resistance level of 5 and a maximum wind speed of 19–24 mph (29–38 kph).

DJI recommends not flying the Mavic Air 2 when wind speeds exceed 10 m/s or 22 mph. Some say they don't fly in sustained winds over 20 mph. Gusting winds can be much higher than sustained winds.
Your generative AI knows nothing about drone flying and has given you meaningless nonsense.
DJI does not recommend anything about what wind strength you should or shouldn't fly in.
They give an something they call "Max Wind Resistance" and have never defined what that is.
Comparing DJI's "Max Wind Resistance" to the speeds of different models, shows that there's no consistent pattern.
It's definitely not a max wind you can fly in (I frequently fly in winds 50% stronger than DJI's number.

I don't have that model so I can't speak to that but I fly in high winds regularly so I will mention that one of things I am cautious about if I am pushing the limits (like 30mph gusts with my Mav 3) is to try to fly off into the wind so my Mavic will lie to me and tell me I must turn around long before I really need to do so. Flying downwind in strong winds are the thing that can get you. I'll so mention that the constant "Strong Wind Warning, Unable to return home" notices just drive me crazy. I am constantly either listening to that beep or hitting the button to turn them off. I get that nonsense when I am 100feet above my head taking a panorama in a 25mph wind. Ridiculous.

Reactions: twickers14
One point I forgot, don't fly the out bound leg of a long distance e flight downwind, in terms of the air-distance it can make the flight home much longer. Plenty of drones have been lost that way.
These guys got lucky
These guys didn't
Mini 4 Pro lost at sea.

Reactions: twickers14
what wind speed is safe to fly my mavic air 2??
The rule of thumb is: The wind shouldn't be more than 2/3 of the maximum speed of the drone.
So the Air 2's speed is 70 km/h, so the wind speed shouldn't be more than 45 km/h. Personally, I flew in 60 km/h winds, and it was handling fine, although a bit shaky and the gimbal was tilting.

For Return to Home to work properly, the wind should be 40 km/h or less. So don't fly too far with wind, because of battery and potentially not have enough Return to Home speed to get signal back.

A little below your maximum speed of the drone obviously, or you won't be able to move in the direction against the wind. If it's a little less than your normal speed you can always switch to sport mode to gain extra movement. Keep in mind that wind speed can change quickly with altitude changes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13