DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

windy or not

iglou7

Reactions
Does anyone knows what the maximum wind velocity is to fly safe with the mavic pro platinum?

It's 22mph.

However, always bear in mind that the wind speed at altitude can easily be a lot higher than at ground level. You get 2 levels of warnings, 1 will tell you to fly with caution and the next will tell you land immediately.

From reading a lot of stuff on here, flying in too higher wind is the cause of a lot of drone losses.

Reactions: Gindra and Bekanne
and also be mindful that flying in windy conditions will also decrease flight time and gusty wind is a lot worse than a steady one and try to fly into the wind on your outward journey if in any doubt wait and fly another day

Does anyone knows what the maximum wind velocity is to fly safe with the mavic pro platinum?
Safe is relative and dependent on the situation. I’ve flown my MPP in 25 mph wind over Lake Michigan. Taking off and landing was executed in a dead wind depression, and using Sport mode throughout the flight. The wind over a large body of water is generally straight line and is easily managed. Inland, that’s more difficult.

Windy today, fly or not, then the question becomes why?

I who love flying, do not hesitate to go out and fly if wind gusts are lower 15m / s, but then I adjust my strategy in such a way that I maximize the possibility that everything will go well.

If you intend to photograph or inspect something, wait until the wind has settled.

1st
No Props Gards.
2nd
Carbon Fiber propeller blades attached to a MAS Hub, IMO's best guarantee for safe flight.
3rd
Always flies in open space, preferably from a height, always with the drone in sight.

Now I enjoy seeing how well my M2P manages to fly in all directions, up and down, in all kinds of maneuvers. (I'm content with P-Mode)

Reactions: Gindra
Yes, flying over water requires a different strategy.

Pontooner on the drone and myself in a boat.

This summer I will hopefully be able to fly several times in the Stockholm archipelago, a fantastic area where I have sailed for over 60 years.

Yes, flying over water requires a different strategy.

Pontooner on the drone and myself in a boat.

This summer I will hopefully be able to fly several times in the Stockholm archipelago, a fantastic area where I have sailed for over 60 years.
Will you be flying from your yacht? If so any tips. I am taking my MPP sailing in May.

I fly MPP for recreational use and refrain from flying if ground wind is more than 10 or 12 mph. Note terrain type makes a difference too.

It's 22mph.

However, always bear in mind that the wind speed at altitude can easily be a lot higher than at ground level. You get 2 levels of warnings, 1 will tell you to fly with caution and the next will tell you land immediately.

From reading a lot of stuff on here, flying in too higher wind is the cause of a lot of drone losses.

I often get both warning 1 and 2 when flying in windy weather. But I keep my drone within sight, max 250 m / 50 m, distance and height.

Losing your drones under these conditions does not seem sufficiently analyzed, when I observe my drone under these conditions, I think it behaves steadily and well, leaning into the wind as much as needed.

I have a stack of broken propellers, and here it is usually the single heel, the one of three, in the part of the propeller hub that has been broken off. A weakness in the material that varies with which manufacturer.

If it is such a fault that causes a motor to stop and the drone crashes, is a suspicion I have, and so my strategy is to put together the best propeller blades with the best hub.

Carbon Fiber propeller blades attached to a MAS Hub, IMO's best guarantee for safe flight.

Will you be flying from your yacht? If so any tips. I am taking my MPP sailing in May.

I am working on a more solid strategy for flying over water, will post it in a thread when I have tested my strategy that it really works, so keep an eye out.

Reactions: charliej
and also be mindful that flying in windy conditions will also decrease flight time and gusty wind is a lot worse than a steady one and try to fly into the wind on your outward journey if in any doubt wait and fly another day

In my short time in the group I’ve read far too many stories of lost drones due to over estimating the battery life or not accounting for the winds. It simply isn’t worth the down time or expenses to risk it IMHO.

Reactions: pelagic_one
the drone will warn about strong winds, but even if it blows strongly, it will do very well.

I often get both warning 1 and 2 when flying in windy weather. But I keep my drone within sight, max 250 m / 50 m, distance and height.

Losing your drones under these conditions does not seem sufficiently analyzed, when I observe my drone under these conditions, I think it behaves steadily and well, leaning into the wind as much as needed.

I have a stack of broken propellers, and here it is usually the single heel, the one of three, in the part of the propeller hub that has been broken off. A weakness in the material that varies with which manufacturer.

If it is such a fault that causes a motor to stop and the drone crashes, is a suspicion I have, and so my strategy is to put together the best propeller blades with the best hub.

Wow never had a hub break on oem props or mas are you hitting things with them or are you using cheap props?

Hi kidroc, if you search my threads you will find several posts where I wrote about how I fly, mostly in dense forest, and how I developed my own concept for propellers. Have not had a broken propeller for the last 200 flights, but a number of crashes.

Hi Moderators, this thread has dropped posts from earlier today.

Where can they be?

I thought it was just DJI's software that lost records. ;)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27