DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Wondering about the RC Pro remote for my new Classic (Review)

Hey @3rdof5, just realized on re-reading some of this thread that you ordered the RC-Pro. I think you will love it. With regard to keeping the spare RC, I originally was going to sell my RC-N1 controller that came with my M3 but when I bought my Mini 3 Pro (drone only) I had trouble binding it to the RC-Pro since the firmware didn't match. I couldn't use Assistant 2 because my laptop only has USB2 ports and although I could plug the USB3 cable from the Mini 3 into the computer the transfer speed was too slow for the Mini 3 so the firmware updates kept failing. The only way I was able to solve the problem was to bind my Mini 3 to my RC-N1 controller and use Fly on my iPhone to update the firmware on the Mini 3. Once I did that, then my RC-Pro was able to be bound to my Mini 3 Pro. I only use my RC Pro to fly both drones, but have decided to keep the RC-N1 controller just in case something should ever happen to the RC-Pro controller. At least then I will have a backup controller to fly my M3 and Mini 3 Pro.

Chris
RC-N1 is only $109 new, so selling it wouldn’t yield much, and it offers a great deal of additional options, especially where the resolution of the satellite maps is important, which sadly remain low res on the RC Pro due to their chosen map provider. Using any iOS or Android tablet on the RC-N1 gets you the high res satellite maps, useful for creating Waypoint missions without having to fly them first.

Reactions: wisefish and 3rdof5
My new RC Pro arrived today (and my wide angle lens) and I have to say I'm very impressed so far, haven't flown yet with it but just during setup and binding, which was flawless, my Classic is already at the latest FW so just the RC had to update and then binding was perfect. Just the feel and the responsiveness, not to mention the extra controls right on the Remote and not the screen is very sweet! Was an expensive pill to swallow but worth it!

Congrats on your new remote. Yes it’s an expensive controller but in my opinion so worth it. And in the future if you ever get a mini 3 Pro or the next iteration, you can just get the drone only package. That’s what I did - no need for another controller.

Chris

RC-N1 is only $109 new, so selling it wouldn’t yield much, and it offers a great deal of additional options, especially where the resolution of the satellite maps is important, which sadly remain low res on the RC Pro due to their chosen map provider. Using any iOS or Android tablet on the RC-N1 gets you the high res satellite maps, useful for creating Waypoint missions without having to fly them first.
@GadgetGuy, I’m assuming you would have to link the M3 each time to use the maps on the iOS/Android device, then link back to the RC Pro and that you could only do this 5 times before you had to bind it to the RC-N1. I briefly tried with my iPhone but it wanted me to link to the RC-N1 and update the controller firmware.

Chris

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Congrats on your new remote. Yes it’s an expensive controller but in my opinion so worth it. And in the future if you ever get a mini 3 Pro or the next iteration, you can just get the drone only package. That’s what I did - no need for another controller.

Chris
Thanks Chris, your advice definitely swayed my decision to get it. And yes, if I ever decide on a Mini, the DJI RC is more than capable, especially with range as it's so tiny you will always be in range if you can see it. My Classic? I want a remote that was actually designed for it, with the added control range.

@GadgetGuy, I’m assuming you would have to link the M3 each time to use the maps on the iOS/Android device, then link back to the RC Pro and that you could only do this 5 times before you had to bind it to the RC-N1. I briefly tried with my iPhone but it wanted me to link to the RC-N1 and update the controller firmware.

Chris
Correct, except you can continuously switch the linking back and forth, as long as you link to the bound controller at least once every 5 flights, to prove you still own it. If you want to stay linked to one controller for more than 5 consecutive flights, you would have to change the binding to that device. The only real difference between linking and binding is that binding requires internet access, while changing linking does not. Fly Away insurance is also only valid while using the bound contoller, but you can also change the binding every time you switch, as long as you have internet access. A bit convoluted, but still workable.

Reactions: 3rdof5 and Chrislaf
First flight with new PRO Rc and first real flight of my Classic. No issues at all with Range and while I had no intention of leaving VLOS I found the moment I looked away at my screen and looked back I couldn't find it. Due to the particular background my P3 would have been easier to keep VLOS with. I hit RTH and soon caught sight of it and I let it come home and land and it was a perfect precision landing dead center of my pad. Great first flight and very educational.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Hey All with the RC-Pro,
When I boot up mine it has a rumble feature in the left grip. I'm assuming they all do?
Is that feature accessible at all? Does anyone ever feel it other than during boot up?
I'm wondering if it can be set as a silent notification instead of an audible one.

Hey All with the RC-Pro,
When I boot up mine it has a rumble feature in the left grip. I'm assuming they all do?
Is that feature accessible at all? Does anyone ever feel it other than during boot up?
I'm wondering if it can be set as a silent notification instead of an audible one.
Mine does that too. I don’t think you can turn that off because the rumble happens on power up/down before the OS loads, but you can try turning on silent mode in the sound control panel and see if that does anything.

Chris

Mine does that too. I don’t think you can turn that off because the rumble happens on power up/down before the OS loads, but you can try turning on silent mode in the sound control panel and see if that does anything.

Chris
I've tried that and nothing happens, it just mutes every notification, the rumble never happens except on boot up. I like to have audible alerts but when flying in tight surroundings the obstacle alert is annoying. Yes I can turn obstacle avoidance off which silences only that alert but I'd like to be able to use it without the alert sound. It's odd the RC has a rumble feature that has never been utilized in DJI Fly.

So I just did a test flight in my very confined fenced yard. Both to test the RC alerts, and to also finally test the obstacle avoidance in a confined area. After take off I have maybe 2M of slow horizontal movement and then it stops. Very cool. All attempts (carefully) to purposely crash were successfully controlled and at no point was my aircraft allowed to get too close to anything. That was an experience in itself coming directly to this Classic from a P3P having flown no other model.
On the RC alerts, at no time, even when the aircraft stopped itself and refused to continue did the rumble feature activate.
I want a stick shaker! Lol

Hello. I have been using Rc pro for a long time the only drawback of the remote control is the low resolution of satellite maps.
That, and not being able to calibrate the Compass on it through the Settings menu. It immediately completes and says "DONE!" without waiting for the calibration maneuvers.

Chris
Well I did it lol. Although I didn't go with the Mini 3 Pro. I figured I already have 2 Pro big birds for anything I need in that sense, so I grabbed the Mini 3, drone only, for having fun with.
My research shows the my spare DJI RC is compatible and my Mavic 3 65W charger is also fine for charging the Mini 3 so cost was minimal.
Looking forward to a smaller unit to have fun with and the Vertical camera ability.

Congrats on your Mini 3 purchase! I think you will love it! It opens up a lot of possibilities here in Canada due to its sub 250g weight. The rules are much less stringent and you can fly it in more places. Just a few hours ago I ran a timelapse with my Mini 3 Pro of the sunset from the beach that is a few minutes from my house. Because we have had nice weather this past week (today it was around 25C) there were lots of people at the beach. I just picked a spot that was away from people near the edge of the beach that wouldn't bother anyone to launch. With my Mavic 3 this would have been illegal since I couldn't have maintained the 30m horizontal rule and it is much bigger and louder.

I don't think you can use your Mini 3 with your RC Pro (the Mini 3 Pro is compatible) but you have your DJI RC you can use, so you should be good.

Not sure if you are aware, but the MSDK has been released for the Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro and Dronelink has already released a beta version of their software. Litchi is apparently working on a version as well. I have installed and tested the Dronelink version on my RC Pro and have had some good results. I have been a user of Dronelink on my older drones for some time.

Chris

Congrats on your Mini 3 purchase! I think you will love it! It opens up a lot of possibilities here in Canada due to its sub 250g weight. The rules are much less stringent and you can fly it in more places. Just a few hours ago I ran a timelapse with my Mini 3 Pro of the sunset from the beach that is a few minutes from my house. Because we have had nice weather this past week (today it was around 25C) there were lots of people at the beach. I just picked a spot that was away from people near the edge of the beach that wouldn't bother anyone to launch. With my Mavic 3 this would have been illegal since I couldn't have maintained the 30m horizontal rule and it is much bigger and louder.

I don't think you can use your Mini 3 with your RC Pro (the Mini 3 Pro is compatible) but you have your DJI RC you can use, so you should be good.

Not sure if you are aware, but the MSDK has been released for the Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro and Dronelink has already released a beta version of their software. Litchi is apparently working on a version as well. I have installed and tested the Dronelink version on my RC Pro and have had some good results. I have been a user of Dronelink on my older drones for some time.

Chris
Thanks Chris!
You are correct, even with the latest FW update for both remotes, my Pro doesn't show the Mini 3 in the connection list. The Mini 3 Pro is. But not an issue, I won't need the RC-Pro for playing with the Mini. Nor will I be concerned about range. As long as I can see it the DJI RC will be plenty.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw