DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Workflow on Mac/iOS?

MadProphet

Reactions
Right now, I'm flying my Mavic using my iPad Pro and usually (all of twice now) on same. So my workflow is:
1) fly and video
2) pull card and copy to Mac (first to the external drive, then to my NAS which is tied to dropbox). Since I only have a 256g drive in the Mac, I'm somewhat limited on where and what I can stick there.
3) use the Mac to airdrop the videos onto the iPad.
4) edit (if I can then find the video) and upload to YouTube.

So there's way too many steps here. Step 3 has worked a couple of times but this last time, even tho it showed (both on the Mac and iPad) that the files were copied - they were nowhere to be found on the iPad.

Space limitations are the killer here. I recently upgraded(?) to the 2tb version of iCloud but it doesn't work like DropBox. You can't simply drag-n-drop (or I can't!) all the files there, then copy the ones you want down to the Mac or iPad.

So what do you do? If you know, what am I missing? I'd prefer to make a single copy to my Mac, then copy to my NAS where it will get automatically copied up to DropBox. I tried that last night and while LumaFusion can 'see' the files when I want to import them, they are greyed out and unavailable. I'd rather not copy several times to get it all done.

Suggestions are appreciated.

why not just put your footage on an external SSD, plug the SSD into the mac & edit from there?

One option would be to use Adobe Lightroom for Mac to import all your photos/videos. It not only has the ability to import from your card to two separate places simultaneously (e.g. ext drive & NAS) but you can even work on your photos (not so much video) without having to keep your external drive attached (smart previews). You can do something kinda similar with Premiere Pro for video editing called 'Ingest', which basically creates a tiny trans-coded copy of your original video (i.e. stored on your internal drive) for editing then requests the external drive just for the final render.

I'm sorry, I have no clue at all about iPads.

p.s. Do be very careful about automatically backing up online e.g. DropBox. 4K video, for example, results in huge filesizes, the transferring of which might incur additional charges from DropBox or breach your internet provider's acceptable usage limits.

Essentially that's exactly what I do. Except for the times I want to use the iPad - which is where I was having the trouble. As I feared, the problem appears to be with the human component of the equation (me). While I can't import the files - lumafusion doesn't actually require that. I changed the workspace and since I was so new to the tool, I didn't realize it. Changing it back to 3 panels gives access to the files and hence, solves my issue.
I'd say RTFM but there is no manual, so...
That said, I'm still interested in how others structure work flow for their videos.

Tictag - that's a great solution. Sometimes the best way is the simplest. I've used LR for many years and it simply never occurred to me to use it here. I was so focused on the iPad issue that I forgot the bigger picture.

Pretty sure LR CC Cloud will give me access on all platforms.

Reactions: tictag
My workflow is simply:
  1. Import everything to local storage using Lightroom
  2. Edit photos in Lightroom, videos in Premiere Pro
  3. Automated weekly backup to an external drive, which then 'offsites' that to my NAS
  4. Archive local files annually to my NAS (using Lightroom which 'maintains the link')
  5. Rinse and repeat
p.s. 1TB internal, 2TB external, 10TB NAS.

edit: added storage specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadProphet
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrDew