DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Worried

The idea of flying over open water was unnerving to say the least. I first did it with my P4, but after I got my MPP I was much less worried because I felt I still had another drone. Now that I’ve been flying for about 2 years I don’t worry about it at all. I pay attention to the wind ( use the UAV FORECAST app) and all the telemetry data to stay safe.
However it still was scary at first.

I’m late to the discussion, but I’d like to add to your info.

Since August this year, I’ve been flying a Mavic Pro Platinum. Using an IPad mini 4, and all the updates to IOS, and firmware.

I have 297 flights, over a distance of 2,073,000 ft, and 54 hours of flight time. Most flights are from my home in the country with huge forests all around, including my 15 acres. I’ve learned how to dodge trees. In all that flying I have used all of the intelligent flight modes and have taken hours of video.

I have had no crashes, and only one forced landing with only 5% battery remaining. I’ve learned that trees and other structures that are between you and the quad will always attenuate the signal, and your signal is the limiting factor. When there is a clear line of sight for the signal, the battery becomes the limitation.

I have a flight regimen that keeps me out of trouble.
  • Always take off with 100% charge.
  • Use precision take off with at least 11 satellites.
  • Land when the battery reaches 30%. Use both manual landing to hone your skills, and the RTH button to test the calibration of your quad.
  • Calibrate the IMU and compass every 20 to 30 flights.
  • Change the props every 200 flights. I use OEM props.
  • Never fly beyond a signal loss down to 3 bars for the control signal.
  • Never ignore a return to home warning thinking you’ve got lots of battery remaining.
  • Fly up-wind when winds are excessive. If winds drift you in P mode, use Sport to get back and land. (Actually flying in wind is fun and is a good learning experience.)
  • If you find yourself in a forced landing mode, you can maintain your height by pushing up on the left stick. Scary but it works.
  • Don’t fly around people, and try to follow the rules.
  • Stay with this forum, and watch a lot of YouTube. You never stop learning new things.
Very conservative, but it’s what has kept my quad in one piece and me out of jail.

This is all really great advice!

Whenever I fly over open water I put this guys on. At least the drone stays afloat. When no water around, get them off.

Not expensive, can be found on Amazon and throughout the internet.

https://tomtop_au.guphotos.com/i/w?u=/images/R/2/RM8712/RM8712-1-6e3d-YrOB.jpg

Reactions: J-Dog
I just recieeved these floats in the mail yesterday. I will use them when flying over water. I hope I never have to retrieve it out in the water but at least now I know I can.
Whenever I fly over open water I put this guys on. At least the drone stays afloat. When no water around, get them off.

Not expensive, can be found on Amazon and throughout the internet.

https://tomtop_au.guphotos.com/i/w?u=/images/R/2/RM8712/RM8712-1-6e3d-YrOB.jpg

I flew the Evo and my Mavic Pro in open waters without worrying of anything. If you keep a high of at least 12 feet is safe. These birds are not like the Karma drone have an issue of shutdown in midair. That's really scary.

I just recieeved these floats in the mail yesterday. I will use them when flying over water. I hope I never have to retrieve it out in the water but at least now I know I can.

Just watch the red thingies can realy float/swim. There are some chinese ones out there on Amzaon for example they tell in description "can not float". Try in a bathtub or so before!

You could be 5000 miles away and the distance makes no difference to the compass.

Meta
I’m only new to my MPP, but I’ve been asked on setup of a few flights now to recalibrate compass

RadioFlyerMan
Great checklist.. I’m stealing it

JDog
I feel your pain on the nerv side, but got the balls yesterday to switch to sport mode. WHAT A RUSH!!

I've never flown a drone til my Mavic Pro Platinum was gifted to me for Christmas. Having raced RC cars I was always used to keeping my eyes on the car. So when it came to fly the first time, I wouldn't look at the screen whatsoever. I had it in beginner mode and didn't have an issue. After my first flight, I turned off beginner mode and something clicked in my head to just watch the screen. I was completely comfortable flying. You just have to use common sense. I've flown just around my neighborhood, but I always stay 150-200 ft. up and away from things I could potentially hit. I have a small body of water and I'll fly over it, but I won't just sit and hover over it.

And last... But not least... GET INSURANCE. When I found out on this site that State Farm offers the $60 a year (probably a one time deal and then cancelled), I had the confidence to fly way way out. Like several miles over marsh with no obstructions and this things a tank! I have the MP1 and if u have the equal or better I would have no fear.
I can't get out of the house without subbing my toe and forgetting something. This Drone is the One Stable thing in my life with no issues.
Have no fear.

Quite a conundrum really. If you loose your drone by using it as it was made to be used, ie an aerial camera fun machine, then you've wasted your money. If you are too afraid to use it and it just sits on the sideboard safe and sound, then you've also wasted your money. Get it up there!

The above post by stephenmaycol is very true!

I've been reading horror stories on this forum about crashes, fly always and dives into the ocean. I'm a little afraid to fly! I was wanting to use DJI Pilot program to set waypoints down the coast of a lake but not sure if I should. I used that program to set waypoints to go down to the end of the street and back and then down the other way to the end of the street and back and land and it worked fine but to get it out by the water, I'm a little worried about that.
Update: I have 60 flights and 70,000 feet worth under my belt now. I've become very familiar with my MPP and the DJI go 4 app. Not so worried anymore. But I am still cautious about all of it. I've always believed don't get too cocky. Absolutely loving it.
I downloaded Litchi yesterday. Not super impressed at this point. It's not as user friendly as I thought it was going to be. Only benefit I see is being able to program waypoints without flying them 1st. Which I can do in the DJI pilot app. That app has it's problems though. I don't really need it other than it's a cool feature. I use it to fly over my mother in law's house to check on her. Just a block over and down. Of course the Mavic pp cannot open the door and go inside for a good look, Yet!

I have the MPP, and I use Litchi. Mine has logged over 1200km in the past 12 months mostly over water and over hills where it's out of controller range.

Photo below, I was on the other side of the island, flight was planned with Litchi on an iPad Mini, then executed. It was totally out of RC range due the hills.

I'm always nervous and it's a good feeling when you hear it overhead, descending to land at the end of the mission.IMG_20190310_205610_486.jpeg

This is all really great advice!

I would echo all excep the frequent compass calibration. Why?

Reading these posts for the last year and flying several hundred hours I am of the understanding that "if it aint out of calibration dont fix it" I have not calibrated my mavic platinum in 100 + flights. I do always hover a few yards away after take off to move the sticks in all directions, verifing compass and controls are in tack, before flying off. But have never found the compass needs calibration except when it is near metal. Just asking Why? maybe there is a good reason that I have not seen.

Don't calibrate when near metal. That will throw off it's reading when it is subsequently away from said metal.

The idea of calibration is to cancel out any permanent magnetic offset it may have managed to aquire.

I will give the following advice:
  1. Don't let the exploits of others challenge you, it's not a competition. All of us have gone through various degrees of what you're experiencing. It's part of the learning process.
  2. Don't let accounts of mishaps and drone crashes deter you. It's an invaluable source of peer learning and the one of the reasons we come to this forum.
Keep referring to the pilot manual, DJI advisories and forums like this help you expand your understanding of your hobby. Enjoy the aircraft, enjoy the experience, fly safely and push the boundaries of its flight only when you feel confident to do so.

Reactions: All or nothing
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser