DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yet Another Litchi Query (Mini 2)

55Kevy

Reactions
I've been working with Litchi and my Mini 2 for about a week now. I've planned mission in Mission Hub and test flown them using VLM in GEPro and then flown the missions. I've learned a lot along the way as well as from these forums and watching many EweTube tutorials. What I haven't found is how to control the rate of yaw in a "Rotate Aircraft" action at a WP. In DJI Fly I've set the yaw rate fairly low to get more cinematic. But in Litchi the AC just whips around. What am I doing wrong?
AC Mini 2
Phone Pixel 3XL, Android 12

Thank you.

... What I haven't found is how to control the rate of yaw in a "Rotate Aircraft" action at a WP. In DJI Fly I've set the yaw rate fairly low to get more cinematic. But in Litchi the AC just whips around. What am I doing wrong?
Nothing I'm afraid ... this function isn't intended to work as a panning function & it disregard your stick & rotational rate settings & just execute the heading direction change with full speed.

Nothing I'm afraid ... this function isn't intended to work as a panning function & it disregard your stick & rotational rate settings & just execute the heading direction change with full speed.
Well darn. But thanks for the reply. I'll try a manual yaw while executing a 'stay' action.

Welp, I just flew my little 3 WP testing mission and found out that you have no stick control while the mission is running.

Hi Kevin,

Did you try to add some POI (Points Of Interest) into your mission among your Waypoints? With points of interest well dissimulated, you might be able to soften the speed of the camera (drone) rotations!!! Tell me if I didn't catch your problem...

Welp, I just flew my little 3 WP testing mission and found out that you have no stick control while the mission is running.

In settings, try setting Heading Mode to Manual (Mission Hub) or User Controlled (app). I just flew this afternoon and was able to control the aircraft heading (yaw) and the gimbal pitch with the controller.

Reactions: Faster
In settings, try setting Heading Mode to Manual (Mission Hub) or User Controlled (app). I just flew this afternoon and was able to control the aircraft heading (yaw) and the gimbal pitch with the controller.
Thanks for the tip, @MS Coast. I was able to fly my little test mission today and could yaw however I wanted.

Reactions: MS Coast
Hi Kevin,

Did you try to add some POI (Points Of Interest) into your mission among your Waypoints? With points of interest well dissimulated, you might be able to soften the speed of the camera (drone) rotations!!! Tell me if I didn't catch your problem...
Perhaps if one uses the interpolate with a number of interpolation points, the rate of yaw will be better controlled. I've not tried it as my current focus with way points I'd flying an outward looking circle, with POI coincident to way points, but set at about 2km distance and at the same height as drone. Rather smooth as interpolate used, but maybe not due to this but slow flight speed along route.

I have just purchased Litchi for my mini 2 and trying to take as much in as I can" at my age" from this forum and utube before I fly using it, which wont be for some time because of the winds we are getting for a few days.Hope you all stay safe in these winds .🛸

I have just purchased Litchi for my mini 2 and trying to take as much in as I can" at my age" from this forum and utube before I fly using it, which wont be for some time because of the winds we are getting for a few days.Hope you all stay safe in these winds .🛸
I also recommend Litchi's own help pages where they explain all the functions & symbols in the app.

Check it out here --> Help - Litchi

Reactions: QuaiOui
I was feeling the same way except for reasons of -20°C cold more than wind! However, my fix might well work for you while you are waiting for the wind to die down: plan a mission using the FlyLitchi mission hub on a browser on your desktop computer.

I have lots of trees nearby, but also open fields, so I planned a very timid "mission" first to fly much higher than necessary (40m) around our general yard area with the POI on our house. After a few manual flights at a balmy -6C with a light breeze, I loaded the mission and let it fly. The results were far better than I expected.

Since then, I've flown a number of slightly modified versions of that mission. In one flight, strong winds popped up a warning message, and blew the Mini 2 about 20m off course at the furthest waypoint, but it recovered automatically and completed the mission. Since a mission is doing the flying, I've been appreciating an unexpected benefit of being able to focus more on the telemetry and imagery rather than have to fiddle with joystick controls. The reduced stress certainly helps with the learning curve (you can stop or pause a mission at any time if thing get hairy).

The other factor that my arthritic fingers appreciate is being able to sit in my car or stand in our sunroom while the mission is flying generally in front of me. I'm still a bit uneasy about having it fly completely out of sight "behind" me — despite being okay now when I'm completely unable to see it when it is within my supposed line of sight but 60m up and 200m away!

I was feeling the same way except for reasons of -20°C cold more than wind! However, my fix might well work for you while you are waiting for the wind to die down: plan a mission using the FlyLitchi mission hub on a browser on your desktop computer.

I have lots of trees nearby, but also open fields, so I planned a very timid "mission" first to fly much higher than necessary (40m) around our general yard area with the POI on our house. After a few manual flights at a balmy -6C with a light breeze, I loaded the mission and let it fly. The results were far better than I expected.

Since then, I've flown a number of slightly modified versions of that mission. In one flight, strong winds popped up a warning message, and blew the Mini 2 about 20m off course at the furthest waypoint, but it recovered automatically and completed the mission. Since a mission is doing the flying, I've been appreciating an unexpected benefit of being able to focus more on the telemetry and imagery rather than have to fiddle with joystick controls. The reduced stress certainly helps with the learning curve (you can stop or pause a mission at any time if thing get hairy).

The other factor that my arthritic fingers appreciate is being able to sit in my car or stand in our sunroom while the mission is flying generally in front of me. I'm still a bit uneasy about having it fly completely out of sight "behind" me — despite being okay now when I'm completely unable to see it when it is within my supposed line of sight but 60m up and 200m away!
Eric,

If you are unsure of your "Mission", it can be flown virtually in Google Earth Pro. This is done by clicking on the Mission button and then selecting "Export as CSV". That will open Ggogle Earth Pro and you will see the project name with a sub folder "Virtual Mission". Double click that and then you can see your mission being flown.

I also have house and trees nearby, so when I take off, I manually fly the aircraft straight up until I'm well above them, the select the start of mission. The avoids potential collision.

Good luck

Reactions: EricF
Eric,

If you are unsure of your "Mission", it can be flown virtually in Google Earth Pro. This is done by clicking on the Mission button and then selecting "Export as CSV". That will open Ggogle Earth Pro and you will see the project name with a sub folder "Virtual Mission". Double click that and then you can see your mission being flown.

I also have house and trees nearby, so when I take off, I manually fly the aircraft straight up until I'm well above them, the select the start of mission. The avoids potential collision.

Good luck
Yes, I've been using that feature. In fact, it is what drew me to Litchi as I've been doing a lot with Google Earth since 2005 (just after Google acquired Keyhole).

It works pretty well, but you need to be cautious in rural areas where the elevation data is less reliable. As well, 3D buildings (and vegetation) is not available as it is in many urban areas.

Our property has a fairly steep elevation rise along an escarpment in the north, and I've known that the Google elevations are not granular enough to include some features that are usually hidden by tree cover. Trees on some ridges are quite tall, and even some of the trees in our immediate yard area have grown substantially since some of the default Google imagery was acquired.

I'm using custom overlays in GE with recent aerial imagery for the KMLs exported from Litchi. One of my objectives for Litchi & my drone is to get even higher resolution overlays in various seasons so I can have more accurate ground detail. With GE, custom image overlays can be included (either locally from your computer or served from an URL) to display "above" the default Google imagery. That way, I can still have all the navigation & measurement capabilities of GE. Although GE's urban imagery is usually pretty recent, the rural imagery is often quite out of date and/or not very accurately placed.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura