DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yikes !!!! you guys are scaring me

robwag

Reactions
Hi all, my son and I have been flying Phantom 4 pro plus each for about 2 years now and never had a single problem. Went out of range quite a few times but it just came home by itself till it was in range again and we carried on.
I have just sold one P4 and bought a new Mavic 2 Pro, mainly because it is much easier to transport and is seems to take good photos and video. Reading about all the Mavic crashes I am not so sure if I did the right thing now.
Robert

You did good in my book.. There are measures you put in place that reduces your chance of crashing, fly aways etc. There are NO guarantees that something may or may not crop up. But if you practice those measures you can fly many years with the same drone. Then their are things that are beyond your control. But all in all, you can fly your M2P and enjoy the hobby.

You only hear of the few bad experiences on here, against 1000s of flights that never have a problem
Especially in the Crash & Flyaway Assistance forum! There are similar sections in the PhantomPilots forum. As with any other precision equipment be sure to download the full User Manual and read and absorb the material. Then fly low and slow with your new aircraft until you are familiar with how it reacts to the controls. Be safe and have fun!

its really about undrstanding how your mav will respond in any given situation study the manual and adjust the flight settings to suit what you are doing during the flight,you already know how to fly a drone so concentrate on the differences between the phantom and the mav,,

Education, experience, and sound decision making are your friends! No technology is going to be perfect no matter how much it costs (just ask Boeing). However, if you are educated on how your device works, make sound decisions about how you operate that device, and get experience with it, you are going to be much more likely to get your drone back to a safe landing zone when something unexpected occurs.

I've spent quite a bit of time investigating and reviewing logs of folks who have lost or crashed their drones and the lack of the above 3 items are almost always critical components involved in those situations.

Hi all, my son and I have been flying Phantom 4 pro plus each for about 2 years now and never had a single problem. Went out of range quite a few times but it just came home by itself till it was in range again and we carried on.
I have just sold one P4 and bought a new Mavic 2 Pro, mainly because it is much easier to transport and is seems to take good photos and video. Reading about all the Mavic crashes I am not so sure if I did the right thing now.
Robert
I've owned two Phantom 2s and one Phantom 4 Pro. I really liked the P4 Pro, but like you, I wanted something easier to transport. I purchased a used Mavic Pro and like the size, portability, and support that is available. I've crashed my Mavic Pro twice. It was my fault, not a problem with the Mavic Pro. Take it slow, read the manual and enjoy your new Mavic 2 Pro.

I'm in the same boat as you, purchased a Mavic Pro 2, arrived last week. Still feel anxious about taking it out for a flight even with all the reading I've done :)
be patient wait for the right weather ,not to windy for your first flight,and once you get airborne,just keep it fairly close try to find somewhere with no other people about if you can and just fly slowly to gain confidence, dont bother with the auto flight modes, get used to controlling it yourself ,and understanding what the drone does in relation to your stick input, but above all enjoy

Howdy Folks, I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I’ve flown the P4p a couple of months then bought a M2p on Black Friday. I poured over the owners manual and watched countless YT videos regarding this UAV. Even with all that and having been professionally in aviation for 25 years I was anxious about my 1st flight. Once I took it out to a large open field and flew it “low and slow”, just getting use to the different RC and running through the settings, it was soooo much more comfortable then next day to go out and really enjoy flying the M2p. So I understand where you are coming from, just arm yourself with knowledge about the AC, RC and flight app, make a conservative flight plan, stick to the plan, and you’ll be ok. I think you’ll be amazed on how stable this drone is and how much technology is packed into 2lbs. Have a great 1st flight.
Blue Skies from SoCal
P.S. I’d like to add that if you are comfortable flying in Alti mode or drones without GPS, the more comfortable and confident you’ll be flying one that does have GPS.

My wife and I both fly the new mavic zoom and pro and we never had any problems nock on wood lol no but seriously make sure your firmware is up to date don't launch near and kind of steel items make sure to do a battery prop and compass check all the time and when you launch the drone let it hover for a cpl of mins and don't push the boundrys and make sure the rth is set high enough to come home and good GPS single other than that enjoy and happy flying

Reactions: old man mavic
Hi Guys, thanks for all the advice. I have flown it a few times now, it is very similar to my P4PP but has a few things of its own. I still like the built in screen on the P but use a 10 inch tablet on the M2

The range is still a problem here in dear old S.A. I could not get more than 1km. but that was from home in a built up area with lots of trees.

I then joined NLD and now have FCC and yesterday got as far as 2.4km. in the same area, (pic attached, arrow me). I got a top speed of 21.1 M per second = 76.3kph so am happy with that, do not know why it was in MPS changed now to Kph.
I want to go to an open space this weekend and see what the range really is, even though I lost signal to the drone yesterday the video signal was still full and strong.

Attachments

• Drone 1.jpg
    Drone 1.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 13
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member